• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

HPV Vaccine

Libra

Hard decision. I'd say wait because we have no idea what happens long term from this, but I'm not a parent so feel free to ignore me.

Hard decision. I'd say wait because we have no idea what happens long term from this, but I'm not a parent so feel free to ignore me.

That would be my objection too. How many times have various medications been promoted as the latest and greatest cure, only to turn out to have terrible long term results. I understand the medical community wanting to nip the rising cases of STDs in young women, but I wonder if there's been enough time to test this one thoroughly.

The biggest problem with this vaccine is that it isnt very cost effective so imo its a questionable use of goverment resources. But if you have the option of getting it i'd say go for it, but you dont really have to decide yet if your daughter is only 9. You can wait until she is 11-12 before deciding.

Since last year Pediatricians,Obstetricians & Gynecologists have been giving out the prescription to parents to get the vaccine for their daughters,and most reccomend it,even if there were cases of girls being paralyzed.

That is what I was thinking,she is still 9 and I should wait.

I have a daughter and she declined the vaccine completely. She's 21 and decided that for her lifestyle the risk of STD's is less worrisome then an new vaccine with unknonw long term effects. This vaccine has been advertised like it's God's gift to STD sufferers but from what I've read it's still unknown to what extent it's actually effective.

I always gave her the choice but I didn't push for it and she has decided it's not for her.

I have a daughter and she declined the vaccine completely. She's 21 and decided that for her lifestyle the risk of STD's is less worrisome then an new vaccine with unknonw long term effects. This vaccine has been advertised like it's God's gift to STD sufferers but from what I've read it's still unknown to what extent it's actually effective.

I always gave her the choice but I didn't push for it and she has decided it's not for her.

My friends daughter is also 21 and is deciding not to take it.Yes,they have been pushing it,I was shocked when I saw they were giving it at the schools.

I've been seeing so many ads for the vaccine on TV lately. I'm always a little uneasy about anything the government pushes like this... But I had no idea it was in the schools yet! In my opinion, it's very risky since we don't know what the longterm side effects are yet. I think teaching safe sex practises to your daughter will probably benefit her more in the long run. Luckily she's only 9, you have time to make up your mind!

My daughter is going to be 12 and the pediatrician recommended to skip it. She's not comfortable enough with the vaccine and told us that we would revisit it in the next few years.

Awhile back, there was a proposal to make the HPV shot required for school girls in Texas. The corporate maker of HPV was roundly criticized for pushing the matter for the sake of profit and of getting their product out there. Gov. Rick Perry of Texas had a big falling out with the legislature and his own party over the matter. It looks like women who try to get green cards to work in the U.S. will be required to take the shot. (Source)

Statistically speaking I think this vaccine is worth the risk, however your daughter is young enough that you can put the decision off a few years to put the margins of error even more in your favor.

I know everyone thinks their daughter is going to grow up and always be very responsible in regards to their sex lives. And they may very well be. But our children are humans and ARE going to make mistakes. Sometimes it only takes one mistake.

I know everyone thinks their daughter is going to grow up and always be very responsible in regards to their sex lives. And they may very well be. But our children are humans and ARE going to make mistakes. Sometimes it only takes one mistake.

I agree, I expect my daughter to make mistakes, but I don't think she needs to vaccine just yet. This vaccine is geared to sexually active girls. Mine isn't yet. She still thinks boys have cooties. The Doctor is waiting for the vaccine to be further tested. My daughter has a few years yet until she starts her teenage behavior. I just hope I'm ready for it:blink:

The vaccine that is being administered in the UK will apparently be most effective if administered before the onset of sexual activity with other people.

Then I have a few more years before I have to worry about. She is under the care of our pediatrician, so if she says not to worry just yet, I'm going to stay with the advice of the medical professional.

If it's the same one that is being administered in the UK, then it's not.

The vaccine that is being administered in the UK will apparently be most effective if administered before the onset of sexual activity with other people.
It is the same vaccine:

"The vaccine has been approved for use in Canada for females 9-26 years of age. The vaccine requires 3 doses to be given over the course of 6 months (0, 2 and 6 months). Recommendations for use, which come from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI), were released in February 2007. The primary age group recommended for vaccination according to NACI is females aged 9 to 13. HPV is a sexually transmitted infection, and ideally, the vaccine should be administered to females before they become sexually active in order to ensure maximum benefit. They also recommend the vaccine for females 14 to 26 years of age as there still is the potential for benefit regardless of previous sexual activity, Pap abnormalities, cervical cancer, anogenital warts or a known HPV infection. The vaccine is not recommended for pregnant women, females under nine years of age, or males. Although no recommendations were made for women older than 26 years, its use can be considered in individual circumstances."

I have to say I am glad I don't have to make the decision now.

Back