• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished I am Legend by Richard Matheson. It's a excellent story although not very long, about 150 pages. It's a different vampire story than I am used to but that just makes it better.
I liked the way the main character, Neville, has a scientific approach to his little vampire problem. And then there is the ending, surprising but great.

Hay

Still Life with Crows - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

This one was really bad! I didn't like it at all.
I can't stand Spcial Agent Pendergast and the whole story was complicated, full of stereotypes and so dammed unrealistic (I know the last reason sounds stupid but I like stories which could be possible).
Attic is on of my favourite books but I can't stand The Cabinet of Curiosities and this one.
They even mentioned some leading figure reading one of their other books (Ice Ship) in this book twice. The whole story is so shallow and there are definitley clues missing.

A clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I really liked this book. The insight into the way the narrator Alex thinks is well written and the fact that Burgess has made the youth slang nadsat and uses that adds a little extra to the book.
To tell a bit about the book to those who haven't read it. It's about an extreme young generation, seen through the main character Alex, who do drugs and go out every night to fight, steal, rape, kill and that sort of thing. When Alex gets caught and sent to prison he becomes the guinea pig for a new way to "cure" this young generation, but by doing so they take away his ability to live a free life.

Hay

The Light of Day by Graham Swift

This book became a slog, mostly because the deadpan detective thing was unrelenting and gradually morphed into a monotonous reverie with little new information introduced and little development of character or plot beyond the first third of the book. It was a different kind of book, though, extremely internal, but too much rumination and not enough change for my taste.

Moving on now to some Joan Didion. Probably Where I Was From, her recent memoir/history of California.

hay82 said:
A clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I really liked this book. The insight into the way the narrator Alex thinks is well written and the fact that Burgess has made the youth slang nadsat and uses that adds a little extra to the book.
To tell a bit about the book to those who haven't read it. It's about an extreme young generation, seen through the main character Alex, who do drugs and go out every night to fight, steal, rape, kill and that sort of thing. When Alex gets caught and sent to prison he becomes the guinea pig for a new way to "cure" this young generation, but by doing so they take away his ability to live a free life.

Hay

I love this book. :D

I just finished The Dracula Book of Great Vampire Stories. Nice light reading between big bites of Foucault's Pendulum. Variations on the vampire theme, mostly ranging from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. Not very gruesome or graphic, so no nightmares ;). But I still dreamed of vampires last night....

Cujo by Stephen King.

It was pretty good. This is my 2nd book by King and I plan on only reading one more. Cujo was pretty sad also. King took a rabies case and turned into something so thrilling and suspenseful. He's a good author.

Just finished Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. I will never, never look at ground beef the same again.

But apart from the 'gross-out' portions of the book, it's an enlightening look at business practices of the major corporations that make up the fast food industry. Some of the information I already knew - in a nebulous, back of my head way - but a lot was quite eye-opening.

Highly recommended.

ell

I actually thought 'Zen and the Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance' was insightful...perhaps you didn't understand it...

I've just finished 'Ghostwritten'...It was excellent.

My comment had nothing to do with insight, it referred to the presence of Zen in it. ZMM was a collection of interesting ideas, but failed to really represent Zen that well.

the heart is a lonely hunter - carson mccullers

i was a little skeptical of this book since it was a oprah pick
but i had read mccullers short story -ballad of the sad cafe and enjoyed it

good book - great characters

Gizmo said:
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Pretty good. :D

Is that all you have to say about it?

I'm quite interested in that book. I wasn't at first, but the first chapter has such a nice flowing voice, and I have enjoyed other books set in Japan very much.

Have you read any Banana Yoshimoto?

novella said:
Is that all you have to say about it?
No.
It's a good book but I didn't like the heroine too much (very weak in my opinion). The story is written really poetically and in times it's wonderful to read but I soon started skipping pages to come to the point. The descriptions of the life of a geisha were fascinating but the explicit sex details didn't contribute something important to the story. They were kind of annoying.
I didn't know very much about geishas before but now I think they are some or at least were a kind of socially accepted prostitutes in that time. I would give it 3 points out of 5.
I'll add a review as soon as it turns up in our library. :D

novella said:
I'm quite interested in that book. I wasn't at first, but the first chapter has such a nice flowing voice, and I have enjoyed other books set in Japan very much.

Have you read any Banana Yoshimoto?
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back