• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I just finished reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished Foucault's Pendulum. Whew!! A good book, but a lot of it was over my head, namely the Latin phrases and the French phrases. I think I got the gist of everything anyway. I think I will put this on my very short list of books to read twice, cuz I think I need another round with it to get it all :eek:

mr michel- I read the Pelican Brief while I was at university. I read it all in one sitting. Supposedly part of the movie was filmed at my university, but when I saw it, I didn't recognize anything from there.

cajunmama said:
mr michel- I read the Pelican Brief while I was at university. I read it all in one sitting. Supposedly part of the movie was filmed at my university, but when I saw it, I didn't recognize anything from there.

nice, in what city are you?
i think its nice when authors stick to a state or city, just like grisham, king or anne rice, (looking foward to visit new orleans -also for the mardi grass :D -) must be pretty cool read books set in places you see everyday

I just finished reading "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy.
It was good. I liked it. :)
Beautifully written.

mr_michel said:
nice, in what city are you?
i think its nice when authors stick to a state or city, just like grisham, king or anne rice, (looking foward to visit new orleans -also for the mardi grass :D -) must be pretty cool read books set in places you see everyday
I went to Tulane U. in New Orleans. And I now live about a hundred miles west of it. Actually, I avoid reading books set in Louisiana and/or about Cajuns because most authors (same goes for movies and tv) make Cajuns look, sound and act like complete bufoons, which is absolutley untrue. They get so very much of our culture wrong that it just makes me mad. So I avoid it altogether. If you are ever going to visit New Orleans (or anywhere in southern Louisiana), let me know ahead of time and we can meet for lunch! I know some great places to eat!

cajunmama said:
most authors (same goes for movies and tv) make Cajuns look, sound and act like complete bufoons
Thats precisly the image I get when I think of Cajuns :D ...all hail the power of TV, Movies and books....But since you don't seem to fit in that picture I'll probably have to try and change it... :)

cajunmama said:
If you are ever going to visit New Orleans (or anywhere in southern Louisiana), let me know ahead of time and we can meet for lunch! I know some great places to eat!

thx for the offer someday i might take your offer up (its that the right expression?)

hay82 said:
Thats precisly the image I get when I think of Cajuns :D ...all hail the power of TV, Movies and books....But since you don't seem to fit in that picture I'll probably have to try and change it... :)
Thank you very much. I try hard not to fit that old stereotype. The damage that's been done to my people.... ;)

mr michel-- Close enough! You got it!

Just finished The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I found bits of it be rather horrifying for a YA book...though this could be due to my attachment to my cat during my childhood, which reminded me very much of the dæmon relationship.
I lost her a few years back and could very well imagine the horror of losing one's dæmon.

Now onto Fannie Flagg's A Redbird Christmas since I figure its about time to start reading Christmas books.

cajunmama said:
They get so very much of our culture wrong that it just makes me mad. So I avoid it altogether. If you are ever going to visit New Orleans (or anywhere in southern Louisiana), let me know ahead of time and we can meet for lunch! I know some great places to eat!

As a side note, a co-worker vacationed in New Orleans last week. His remarks pretty much coincided with yours.

He also couldn't believe how friendly everyone was there and how good the food is.

RaVeN

Raven-- Absolutely!!! We know how to party and we know how to eat!!! And not everything is so peppered that it is nearly inedible (another misconception). Southern hospitality has its roots here. Cajuns, in general, are a lighthearted, friendly bunch.

Just finished Stephen King's Cujo. I was a bit dissapointed that I didn't find it scary at all, and just felt sorry for the dog. :rolleyes:
I liked the descriptions of the characters though and that's enough to make me read more of kings books. Just hope the next one is scary.

Hay

Factotum - Bukowski

very quick read if you have a couple hours
it's about a drunk and his inability to keep a job
very crass humor

I, myself just got done with Cujo, hay. I enjoyed it a lot but your right it wasn't very scary... still the descriptions of the dogs feelings and such was great. Stephen King turned a simple rabies case into something more thrilling. I was expecting more killings too and it was sadder than I expected it to be.

Just finished Fannie Flagg's A Redbird Christmas, it was a pleasant fun read, but I wish it had been longer. The first six months had a lot of detail and fun, while she just sorta skipped on through the second six months. Still, not bad for a Christmas read, and definitely one to buy if you're a fan of Fannie Flagg.

Blindness

Just finished Blindness by Jose Saramago a couple days ago. It's a book that keeps you thinking long after you turn the last page.

While reading it, I kept wondering where Saramago was going, how he would end it. As in life, it was about the journey not the destination.

I read Blindness based on the recommendation and review by Martin. So a huge thanks, Martin. :D

You know I just KEEP hearing about this book. I must buy this one :) I think ill go add it now to my Amazon basket so that I don't forget it!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back