• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm going to be crushed

I love my TBR pile. It has books that have been on there for at least 15 years (and I am only 25!).

The only point at which I will say stop is when I have far too many library books on the pile. I am currently at about 12 library loans and 2 have been renewed to their limit of 6 renewals (that means I've had over 6 months with each on the shelf!). I will focus on them and then work that pile down, although I'm sure I will add others to the bottom as I return some!

well, i get a big stack of books from the library and read them and renew them until i finish them and kinda forget about the books underad on my shelf until the summer. Also if i don't have time to read during the day, I read at night. A lot more books get done that way. But i have so many books that i want/need to read that i don't stack them up, i just have a list of books to read andmost of them are at the library, or wherever, i borrow them when i feel like reading them. Sometimes i do check out a huge stack of books and borrow a lot, and then i read them in the order they're stacked.

With library books, I tend to use their due dates to determine which to read next. With interlibrary loans, due dates vary wildly. Fortunately, they're good about letting me renew.

With me, it's kinda strange. When I'm in a bookstore and see a book that might look good, I buy it, but then it sits on my shelf for over a year before I read it. I may go all over town looking for this book, but once I have it, it just sits there. The thrill of the hunt I guess.....
I read most books from my library because their due dates motivate me to read them. :)

Mine has well over two hundred, but with the completion of The Sun Also Rises and Mother Night within the past two days, I suppose I just completed one percent of it. Well on my way!

drmjwdvm said:
Why do we do this? It's not logical at all. I mean it's not like the bookstore is going to run out of books and we won't be able to get anymore. It's almost hoarding.

Ummmmmm, you'r making sense and being logical. Stop that!.:D

drmjwdvm said:
Maybe the bookstore WILL run out of books........:eek:

One of the second hand shops I buy from a lot had barely any books in a few weeks ago! I was worried, but they've got full shelves again today. :D

Having lots of books around makes me feel safe and comfortable. I don't care if there's a lot of stuff in the "TBR" section, I need to have a supply of books on hand. The first thing I look at when I go to someone's house for the first time is whether or not they have books. If they do, I'm at ease right away. If not, I start feeling edgy. Surprising how many people's homes have no books in them at all.

My TBR pile isn't a pile at all, but a shelf. I would guess there are about 25 books sitting there, and at the moment I'm reading a book I've read before that isn't even on the shelf. I wanted to look up something in "The Wind in the Willows", and got so entranced by it that I'm reading it again for the first time in 20+ years. Oh well!!

drmjwdvm said:
Why do we do this? It's not logical at all. I mean it's not like the bookstore is going to run out of books and we won't be able to get anymore. It's almost hoarding.
It's entirely logical, actually. Most books, when they're first out, will be available cheaply (in the UK, at least) from the likes of Tesco, or as part of a Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price or 3 For 2 (which is better ;) ) deal. After a certain period, they won't be as readily available and are therefore more expensive.

ja9 said:
Having lots of books around makes me feel safe and comfortable. I don't care if there's a lot of stuff in the "TBR" section, I need to have a supply of books on hand. The first thing I look at when I go to someone's house for the first time is whether or not they have books. If they do, I'm at ease right away. If not, I start feeling edgy. Surprising how many people's homes have no books in them at all.

I experience this in a way. I get the general feeling that there isn't a book that I have that I haven't already read. It always turns out that there is a handful. I don't know why, but not having a few that I can pick up and read at a moment's notice is very disconcerting to me.

steffee said:
Most books, when they're first out, will be available cheaply (in the UK, at least) from the likes of Tesco, or as part of a Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price or 3 For 2 (which is better ) deal. After a certain period, they won't be as readily available and are therefore more expensive.

Exactly! I keep trying to explain this to people so they understand why I have 77 books on my TBR pile, but they just won't have it. :rolleyes:

i can relate. have you heard of Ikea? they just built one in our area and i love it! around Christmas we bought three large bookshelves to put in the loft (but two of them are devoted to homeschooling stuff, but the third has my books on it). we have a bookshelf in the office, but it is woeful at best. it isn't nearly adequate. we have these large metal shelves in the office closet and books are stacked tall and wide on every shelf. i just inherited my grandmother's VAST library and now have that all in bags and boxes and old suitcases and am just waiting for us to redo the office and line an entire wall with bookshelves for me to put those up (and at least one of those has to be glass-encased as she had many very valuable books in her collection and i worry about the baby getting into them). and, unfortunately, many of these are also tbr!

anyway, i feel like i am swimming in books, but now is that really a bad thing. but despite the hundreds (and maybe thousands) that i have, i still can't seem to stay away from half-priced books! i probably buy at least three a week (but in that are always some for my kids, too, who are now avid readers - yay!).

I'm an atheist and have no children, but bless you, Lady Cordelia, for teaching children how to read! Only goes to show you how much books can pull people together, even those who may have nothing else in common. Anyone who reads has my respect, and someone who teaches others to read has that and then some.

ja9 said:
I'm an atheist and have no children, but bless you, Lady Cordelia, for teaching children how to read! Only goes to show you how much books can pull people together, even those who may have nothing else in common. Anyone who reads has my respect, and someone who teaches others to read has that and then some.

thanks so much! you made my day!

teaching them to read was just the beginning obviously, but it has been so fun! my twins just learned to read and the joy in them at this accomplishment is amazing! my oldest (who is 8) is already reading at a high school level and i love that she would prefer to read a good book than watch tv, although that is partly my doing, as i don't much allow it, but when she visits her grandparents they are amazed that she just goes in a quiet corner and reads and ignores the tv (total antithesis of my nieces and nephews).

i wanted to say, also, that i agree with your comment about books bringing people together.

this forum has been a very interesting experience. there is such a diverse group of people!

I like this forum too. There seems to be more room than usual for people of divergent viewpoints - for the most part, everyone is respectful of the opinions of others and there is not a whole lot of the gratuitous nastiness that seems to be so rampant on the Web.

I can't remember learning to read. I could read the newspaper before I started school (not necessarily understand it all, but pick out the words). Like most kids, I was fixated on certain books and wanted to read them over and over again. There was one about baby animals that my poor mother had to read with me over and over again. She still tells the story about how she would start to fall asleep and I would elbow her and demand "READ, MOM!!". I'm sure it was a great relief to everyone when I learned to do it for myself.

I have a granddaughter who is 16 months old now (step-daughter's baby - I bypassed motherhood and went straight to being grandma, which was interesting). Can't wait for her to start reading. Her parents are both book people, so I'm hopeful that she will have the reading gene. Which I think is a real thing - some people seem to love reading and others just don't. Anyway, it will be fun to have a little one to read to. I still have the baby animals story book, so I assume that the circle will close and I'll soon be nodding over it just like my own mother did.
:)

Well, I have gotten a few nasty anti-Christian messages, but they are always "under the breath" so to speak (well almost always).

However, by-in-large, it is a great group of people!

My son, who is 2 1/2, already loves books and has loved them since the moment that he could crawl over to one of the book baskets (we have several in our living area and his play area) and would grab one after the other and bring the over to us or just sit and look at them forever. Books are and always have been his favorite toy, literally! Now, he walks over and backs up to my knees for me to pull him into my lap and says "Read" with this sweet little voice, more like Weeeed. I love it! He has his favorites, too. Anything with animals just totally excites him. He isn't too much into TV except for this video my husband made with pictures of animals, their sounds, and the words (and someone speaking the word while it is being spelled out on the TV). It is kind of an early reading activity for him and he loves it. He could watch it over and over and over and over and over. Some books I had to have two copies of because he loves them so much, either to have one in another room or because he was starting to wear down the pages!

Oh, and I can remember some of my favorite books, too. There was this one about a red apple. I can see the cover in my mind's eye, but am not sure of the name of it - it was an ABC-type book. I also loved this book called 3-in-1 and it explained the trinity and spiritual gifts in really simple ways and I read that all the time. It made me feel happy.

I can remember reading little things at age 3, but can't remember how I learned. My mom just says I kind of taught myself. I think it was me sitting with my mom while she sat and read with my older sister (she was five years older than me) who had dyslexia, so my mom had to take things slowly with her and for a while read almost all her assignments and such and I was always glued to Mom, so I reaped the benefits and absorbed books and reading like a sponge. By the time I was 9, I was reading at a college level and ended up helping my sister with her high school work and reading, which was fun for both of us, as I was rather bored in school otherwise and she had a hard time assimilating harder works like Shakespeare.

Being poor means my TBR "pile" is only in my head. Though, and this is sad, as I get books from the library they are stacked in the order I plan to read them next to my bed. I have nine days off right around the corner and I'm in the process of stacking my pile from the library. Someday though, I will have a house FULL of books.

i'm just lucky in that i have inherited most of mine. my mom bought me tons of books while i was growing up and let me take them with me, then my father-in-law and i share a love of books and he has quite a bit of money and always gives me whatever he finishes, then, and most unfortunately, my grandmother (also a great book lover) gave me her HUGE book collection when she died.

and now i have a bad habit of buying books from Half Price Books at least once a month (sometimes when i am taking some in for cash - i can never just leave with cash - i always have to buy something new).

also, my sweet father-in-law buys any books and curriculum i want for my kids, so i can go a bit wild with that. i got them a TON of stuff today (great classical books - awesome)!

Back