• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

In a reading rut?

drmjwdvm said:
God I hope not, you may have caught it from me a few months ago. I do have one suggestion. Pick a book that's completely out of your normal MO. For example, non-fiction, SciFi, trashy paperback, mystery- thriller. Whatever is foreign to you. Just be sure to pick an author with some skill. This newness of genre usually gets me back on track. Get Well Soon!

So you're the one I can point the Fickle Finger of Blame at! :D I surfed the B&N site and found some interesting-sounding books that I ordered from the library. In the meantime I'm finishing "The Old Wine Shades" by Martha Grimes (one of my favorite authors), which I put down earlier this year while I enjoyed a lot of books I got at the library. I'm not 100% into it, but I'm not giving up. Your idea of reading something outside of my normal genres is a good one, but it seems it would be tough to find a well-written book in a genre one isn't familiar with. :confused:

I get into a rut all the time - mainly due to my work. I feel guilty reading when I have so many things to do for work, and that takes a little enjoyment off any book I read. However, I've learnt that if I have a list or an idea of what books to read ahead of me, that helps. I know then what books I can look forward to as I'm reading.

Looking towards the finish line, so to speak.

ds

In a rut? Easy to get caught up in the numbers game, isn't it?

Be careful that you're not trying to read too much. Slow down and enjoy the book you're reading, and don't be shy about taking time off between books.

Burned Out!

Do you sometimes get tired of reading? You read so much that you must take a break from reading (books) for a few days...has this happened to you?

I do get like this from time to time. However, during these non-reading spells I go out and purchase a ton of books. Hence why the proportion of possessed books that are read to those that are not is so unbalanced.

I'm trying to cure myself of this book-buying madness. As much as I love buying books, I would like to read just as many as I purchase. ;)

It's happened to me. Same as the poster above me, I tend to go on buying and loaning sprees. Seems I take more than I can chew....

It has happened to me...but not for a few years. With working on my master's degree and now teaching for the first year, I've not had time to read as much as I'd like to. Therefore, I don't tend to binge on reading as I have in the past. Thus, I revel in the few extended times I get to read these days.

I'll stop reading for a few days, but not because I get burned out. Sometimes I'll be doing other things and forget about the book(s) I'm currently reading until later in the day. Usually by then I'm too tired or lazy to read.

I tend to find it harder to read in the winter, mostly due to dark nights unchanging into dark mornings leading to an overwhelming need to sleep on the train rather than sit there with a book in my hand. I've not read anything since the start of January (and that was something I'd started toward the end of last year) and I attribute this to an increased level of MMA training and a preference for cinema at the moment.

That said, I've started a book of essays this morning. Hopefully, with the days beginning to be brighter in the morning, my appetite for books will pick up again.

This hasn't happened to me so far, as I usually avoid binge-reading. I split up my reading time with visiting forums, playing video games and sport so that I don't get burned out.

Only when I'm reading something boring (such as Thomas Hardy! grrrr!) or I'm too busy. When I went on holiday I was so exhausted from walking about all day that I just couldn't read before sleeping at night.

Hello!

I have the same "problem". In January I had to learn a lot, so there wasn't enough time for reading, but now I have all the time in the world, but I hardly can read 30 pages per day or so. I don't know the reason, I love books but actually I prefer to spend my time on PC.
My "fortune" is, that I haven't enough money to buy more books. ;)

Greetings

Usually

When it happens to me, it is time to start reading something random and different than what I normally read. I go to the library and nonchalantly pick up books to select. And sometimes, I just don't read for a few days. I get burned out in keeping up to date with current events and the dozens of news sources I select from simply because I have so much. I don't want to whittle it down because each media outlet provides something the other doesn't. It is is frustrating.

I think it is a matter of seasons and cycles. I've noticed it being that way for me anyway. I'll read like a demon for months, then suddenly lose momentum or get distracted by other concerns. I don't think it is a bad thing really, just a natural part of living. I'm in a slump right now, since late last week. Part of it is I just don't feel great physically and I'm trying to plan ahead for the next school year so I have to look at all the new-to-me curricula I can find, and look again at old favorites..which takes lots of time and mental energy.
I'm learning to plan ahead for reading slumps too. I hate to part with back issues of Pages and Bookmark magazines. I'll grab a stack of them and start thumbing through, reading about authors and books I've overlooked, and soon I'm back in gear and keeping my interlibrary loan lady in business.

... and I'm trying to plan ahead for the next school year so I have to look at all the new-to-me curricula I can find, and look again at old favorites..which takes lots of time and mental energy.

That burns me out quickly, as well...the creativity it takes to plan well will zap mental energy in no time. Even I have had times after major lesson planning when I just want to sit and relax.

It happens to me sometimes. Especially when i am in my exam period and in the evening when i get in bed i just need to sleep and i can't focus on more than a page. But in the meantime i still buy books :p

Tired of reading? Never
Don't want to read anything in my TBR bookcase? Often.
Then I go back to old favourites.

Do you sometimes get tired of reading? You read so much that you must take a break from reading (books) for a few days...has this happened to you?

I'm on a good streak as of late,though I have gone through a bout or two where it just doesn't interest me, usually it's due to the book.

I tend to find it harder to read in the winter, mostly due to dark nights unchanging into dark mornings leading to an overwhelming need to sleep on the train rather than sit there with a book in my hand... Hopefully, with the days beginning to be brighter in the morning, my appetite for books will pick up again.

Yes, yes, yes, I understand this so well, Stewart. Dark nights into dark mornings creates a foggy, somnolent state that some days it's hard to snap from. I read every day but at this time of year everything....takes....so....long....to.....finish.

I think it is a matter of seasons and cycles.

I probably need to buy a halogen lamp or something with a bright bulb as I think this is a touch of winter blues. Plus when there is snow on the ground, it has been so cold for so long, and the wind is bitter bitter bitter, spring seems a long way off. :( Maybe it will thaw next week and I can go out in the yard and look for signs that my miniature irises are pushing up.

Back