• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Inglourious Basterds

At one point, we see a bunch of nazis watching what's very obviously a Tarantinoized take on a Nazi propaganda film, complete with dozens of American soldiers getting gunned down in spectacular fashion by a lone Nazi hero. I, and others in the audience, can't help but laugh at the obvious self-reference... and just then, he cuts to Hitler, who's watching the same movie and is also laughing his ass off along with us.

And also a reference, I'd imagine, to To Hell and Back, an American film about Audie Murphy's WWII experiences, starring Audie Murphy as himself (he is the most decorated American soldier from WWII). The climax of the film is based on the actual event where Murphy climbed atop a burning tank on the brink of explosion and fired the tank's .50 machine gun at the oncoming German troops--a scene I imagine Tarantino would appreciate.

The references to other movies (particularly the spaghetti westerns) in this movie were a little more worn than in some of Tarantino's older movies. I was hoping this would be a good and gory movie about a bunch of Nat-zi hunting Jews. Disappointingly, it was not that, though I supposed that is more Robert Rodriguez than Tarantino anyway. Once I got over that and got into the groove of the movie I enjoyed it. Some good performances, though I wish anyone other than Brad Pitt was in that role. The ending was stupid.

Overall? Decent, but not his best.

Good eye, Jez -- I completely missed the Audie Murphy reference.

I saw this movie a few days ago and really enjoyed it. It was far less bloody than I expected and the level of black comedy was about perfect.

Inglorious Basterds

Anyone like this? I thought it was great. Lots of awesome dialog which is what most Tarantino movies are known for. Brad Pitt's accent was pretty stupid sounding at first, but I came to really like it by the end.

Anyone like this? I thought it was great. Lots of awesome dialog which is what most Tarantino movies are known for. Brad Pitt's accent was pretty stupid sounding at first, but I came to really like it by the end.

I think he recycled his accent from Thelma and Louise.

I was a bit disappointed with this movie.
It started out pretty good. The opening "sergio leone" scene introducing landa was one of the highlights of the movie along with the basement scene. But overall the movie was disappointing. Christoph Waltz played his part perfectly and should get an oscar, while Brad Pitt pretty much ruined every scene he was in. Thankfully Brad Pitt was mostly there to sell tickets and they kept his scenes to a minimum.

You can have a fun "game" trying to see how many movie references you can spot, but is that all Tarantino can do?

Boring? Nah. Yentl was boring. The Paper Chase was boring. Inglourious Basterds is either a lot of fun or misunderstood. Boring just was not a possible outcome for the film.

This movie could have been much better.The dialogue seemed like endless filler time through the whole move. The only thing I liked was Brad Pitt's character,other than that I didn't like it.

Back