• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet addiction

Are you a net addict?

• Total voters
What do you think? No net? No book forum????? Do you think you could go 14 days without the internet? Are you addicted to the net?
I just went about that, though a little shy of 14 days it upset me. I'm a net person. I'm homeschooled, I live away from other people my own age and in that sense my friends online are extremely important to me. Being without them is upsetting to me and without the net I quickly get desperate enough to call long distance(in the states as well as other countries) to stay in touch with them all, regardless of whether or not a calling card available. Not only is it my main way of communicating with friends, but I also watch tv, listen to radio, play games, watch movies and read the news online. My computer is always on as long as the weather allows and I would rather give someone my email than my phone number.
It's probably safe to say I'm addicted. Yes.

Themistocles said:
you have to be a bit of an otaku as well to get the most out of Megatokyo

im no otaku but im hooked on megatokio right now, been spending to much time reading it, just skiped all the dom's strips

Ruzi said:
...I would rather give someone my email than my phone number.
Me too - you can easily change your e-mail address if you make friends with a serial murderer, but it's not so easy to change your phone number. And they can get your address from your phone number aswell can't they (directory enquiries)? No such things happen with e-mail addresses. Although I suppose they could get your IP Address and somehow figure out where abouts you lived. And I reckon it would be quite easy for some big cheese company (the Illuminati) to hack into your e-mails and see what you're talking about. In conclusion ;), I think it's safest to talk to people face to face. That way they can't monitor you at all.

Nosferatu Man said:
Me too - you can easily change your e-mail address if you make friends with a serial murderer,

Why would you want to? They'd be a really handy person to know. I'd rather cultivate the friendship and then ask them for favours.

That's a good point actually, Litany. I hadn't really thought of that.

Martin, yeah you're right. But I think it might be even safer to kill yourself and hope you end up on some nice planet, free of insane people. Or, if you find yourself in an infinite void, at least you won't have anyone else to worry about!

mr_michel said:
im no otaku but im hooked on megatokio right now, been spending to much time reading it, just skiped all the dom's strips

You SKIPPED Shirt Guy Dom days? HOW COULD YOU? But...the vibrating sheep of death...and Fred losing his head on a regular basis...and the parodies, the PARODIES!

Themistocles said:
You SKIPPED Shirt Guy Dom days? HOW COULD YOU? But...the vibrating sheep of death...and Fred losing his head on a regular basis...and the parodies, the PARODIES!

relax now that i read all the megatokio mainstream strips i can go back and check the shirt guy dom days while i wait for the new strip, or maybe i could try to read megatokio on different languages

or even better go into the megatokio forums and entertain myselft being a troll :D

Back to topic - Undeniable proof of your addiction to the internet is the level of panic you experience when your modem refuses to connect to your DSL-connection.

The level was quite high a few hours ago.

Cheers

I don't see anything wrong with using the net all the time and missing it when you can't. I guess people who think there's something wrong with it must imagine that it is "not real" like just a virtual something. But you people are all real, aren't you? The online newspapers are real, the restaurant reviews, the phone numbers, the opinions are all real. The reference and educational sites, the hobby sites and fan sites and megatons of particular histories, biographies, and analysis.

I compare it with any resource for information and communication. It is supremely more useful than a phone book, a physical library, or asking a friend. I do a lot of research online, and I really couldn't function at the same level without it. Does that mean I'm addicted? No, but it sure would be a pain in the ass to lose it.

Could you imagine trying to plan a trans-Atlantic trip without it? Do you remember what it was like, for instance, to write a paper on Greek mythology or the history of radio or the culinary merits of rhubarb without the internet? To be limited to the local library and the books in your house? I'm glad I'm alive in this era, watching this incredible technology change the world.

You make a good point.

People think it's very odd to be on the internet reading or day, communicating with like minded people or with people that share your interestes or passions ( such as this forum ) and finding out all sorts of information or just using it as a form of pure entertainment. People think that is odd but then think it's perfectly normal to sit passively in frount of a T.V for 10 hours a day while watching what somebody else has decided they should watch and being bombarded by ADs every 10 minutes! :)

Well said, Novella!

I'm as addicted to the internet as I am to, say, my car. It's there, it's convenient, so I use it often.

The panic created by my connecion failing is nothing compared to the panic created by my car not starting.

Cheers

mr_michel said:
relax now that i read all the megatokio mainstream strips i can go back and check the shirt guy dom days while i wait for the new strip, or maybe i could try to read megatokio on different languages

or even better go into the megatokio forums and entertain myselft being a troll :D

*breathes*

The MT forum is...scary...

Not as bad as PA's though. It's like the greatest single troll haven in existence.

Nosferatu Man said:
Miss Dynamite?! I thought she was some sort of popstar. :eek:

and she should be :D
of course i would never go into any concert of hers for fear of being ramdonly shooted in the crowd :D

Back