• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Internet Lurrrve.

i know there are weird people out there, and dishonest people as well, and we should all be on our guard for that reason.. but... i met my husband on a chat BBS 14 years ago now.. before the internet! we have been married for 13 years, and are still very happy.. it can work. :)

I'm not sure what to make of this internet love thing. I met my better half on tinternet, although it's not quite as sad as it sounds. I spoke to him a bit through a football MB that I'm an active member of, with nothing too saucy - just talk football talk. That was, until we met once at a game by accident. It kind of blossomed from there over the internet for a few months until we met again…. The rest, as they say, is history.

I know a few people who have had similar experiences to Martin, and that's fine as there's no harm done etc. But I'm not sure I'd be happy if I knew my boyfriend was regularly 'pming' somebody in this way, even if he was to meet this person. I suppose this tells me that I rate internet love quite highly despite thinking it can't have much meaning without actually seeing the person in flesh. Weird really.

Martin said:
Ever experienced it, in any shape or form?

I once, in a previous life, had very good contact with a slightly older, married woman who lived on the other side of the world. We mainly talked through PM on a forum I used to frequent, because, well, she was married, and I was in a relationship, so talking on MSN or through mail was too dangerous.

Living on the edge, eh?

The thing was, I actually fell for her. Still think of her a lot. I think she fell for me, too.

How about you guys? Ever had anything like this?

Cheers

Nah, can't say that the love bug has bitten when I've e-mailed. Then again, I've been the target of many hearts online- it must be due to my likeness of Tom Cruise.:p ;)

Stewart said:
Are you three feet tall too? :p

Hey, Tom Cruise is a solid 5'7". That's taller than me, which is all that really matters. If he weren't such a raging psycho he'd be hot.

mehastings said:
Hey, Tom Cruise is a solid 5'7".

Wow...I guess that I am like him.:eek:

Military joke: Why does the Coast Guard require every sailor to be 6'0 or taller?

Answer: So that if the boat sinks, they can walk back to shore.:cool:

Interesting stories thus far. I wonder what makes an e-mail an e-mail and what makes an e-mail sizzle with romantic longing.:rolleyes: I'm sure it happens, just odd to me I guess.

I can't find the link now, but CNN had a story about an American teenage girl who flew to Jordan to meet up with her "boyfriend" whom she met through myspace.:eek:

Hello all

Do we have a thread on dating, or Internet dating? I always find it interesting to hear other people's tales, or any advice.

Internet dating has added a whole new element to the scene. Some people say it makes it easier for people to meet, or at least chat to, new people.

My question then, is: if it's so easy to meet new people, why do men (I have no experience of women) still think "hi." Is an acceptable greeting?!

Discuss.

Weeellll I suppose it is a safe way of saying 'hello'. I mean its tentative ... 'hi [do you want to chat?]' sort of thing.

If you dive right in with 'Hello I'm Ted and I'm a weird internet dude' its open to all sorts of rejection right?

Haha true, but a more flattering way might be "hi, I see we've got a lot in common" or "hi, you like quoting Shakespeare whilst stood on one leg too?"

Only I suppose if you subscribe to the theory that comedy is tragedy happening to some one else, and you aren't the person being deceived.

Well yes. I suppose as long as your heart isn't set on it being this one chance only, which in my opinion is a silly thing to do with any new relationship

Regardless, the internet lacks all the non-verbal clues we use to aid in our assessment of a person making it that much easier for deception to occur.

Why on earth would 'Hi' be an inappropriate greeting?

This. I don't see why saying "Hi" is wrong.

As for internet dating, like all things it's got its pros and its cons. A positive may be that instead of the first impression being based on someone's looks, it has more to do with their conversational skills, interests, etc (unless your mystery internet dude sends you a photo instead of saying Hi by way of introduction).
Cons are obvious in that you can "meet" all sorts of creepy weirdos on the internet.

Also, lookie here for a thread from ye olden days on the same topic.

Last edited:
Back