• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is there anyone who doesn't care about the Dark Tower Series?

eyez0nme

Like me?

I take any of horror fiction over that piece of crap. I found fantasy hella boring. :mad: Why is that?

I thought the Dark Tower series was horror. Is it not? Jeez.

But no, don't care about fantasy either.

Bought one of the dark tower series books out of order. On top of that, I left it outside when visiting family and it rained-the book expanded in size. I go in cycles in regards to liking King. One of these days, I'll be due for another round again. Maybe winter time when it's dark and depressing. Until then, I'll be enjoying some Steinbeck.

Maybe you should try reading it before you criticise it - you may be pleasantly surprised :)

I've read 3 of the books in the series, and so far I'm enjoying it. The first book was a little bit tough to get through, but the second and thrid more than make up for it.

Yeah this post is absolutely pointless. If you haven't read the series why should it be important that you "don't care about it"?

I've read them all and enjoyed all 7 immensely.

After I am done with my current reading I am starting on DT7. I just went through it- viewed the images and read the chapter titles- and DT7 appears to be one hell of a final book. I can't wait to read the ending. What a great series.

You have to read it folks. It's really good; fun.

AquaBlue said:
After I am done with my current reading I am starting on DT7. I just went through it- viewed the images and read the chapter titles- and DT7 appears to be one hell of a final book. I can't wait to read the ending. What a great series.

You have to read it folks. It's really good; fun.

I'm sure I will read it someday. I have not read my Stephen King lately though.

I could care less for it. I've read the first few pages of The Gunslinger and it didn't interest me. And, for some reason I'll never know, I've got two copies of Wizard & Glass on my to-be-sold-with-haste shelf.

I tried to read Gunslinger but about three quarters of the way through I got fed up with it...I probably found it one of the most unlikeable books I've ever read. The characters were extremely irritating and it just felt like nothing about it was drawing me in, just making me dislike it more and more. But I suppose I can see that some people might like it. I wouldn't say that Dark Tower series is reflective of fantasy books in general though, as I'm a big fantasy fan, but this just doesn't appeal to me.

I enjoyed most of the series. It's not without its flaws: the ending was a huge disappointment, and large portions of Book Two are incredibly slow-moving. So what do I enjoy about the books? The merging of different genres, the cast of characters, and King's writing (Wizard and Glass in particular was beautifully written).

Strangely enough I never had much of a problem with the first novel. It was more abstract and awkward than the other books but that didn't hinder my enjoyment of it. If I had to select the weakest book in the series it would probably be a toss-up between Drawing of the Three and The Dark Tower VII.

It's so interesting for me to hear what books people liked and disliked in the series. Though I don't understand how anyone could find "The Drawing of the Three" weak. I consider it to be perhaps King's greatest accomplishment, even up there with It and The Stand.

DiscoDan said:
It's so interesting for me to hear what books people liked and disliked in the series. Though I don't understand how anyone could find "The Drawing of the Three" weak. I consider it to be perhaps King's greatest accomplishment, even up there with It and The Stand.

Drawing of the Three is my favorite of the books so far. DiscoDan, each person has his/her opinion on the books. What I don't like is that some have not read the story and yet have an opinion- usually a negative one. But I respect each persons opinion nonetheless. :D

AquaBlue said:
What I don't like is that some have not read the story and yet have an opinion- usually a negative one.

I would suspect that is because of the author. If they don't like him, they aren't likely to care for any specific pieces by him.

DiscoDan said:
I agree - I thought that The Drawing of the Three was brilliant and it has remained my favourite of the series. I can understand why people give up halfway through The Gunslinger though, as the pacing is slow and it can get quite confusing. I'd recommend finishing it and moving on to the rest of the series regardless of its fallbacks - the next books are much better!

MonkeyCatcher said:
I agree - I thought that The Drawing of the Three was brilliant and it has remained my favourite of the series. I can understand why people give up halfway through The Gunslinger though, as the pacing is slow and it can get quite confusing. I'd recommend finishing it and moving on to the rest of the series regardless of its fallbacks - the next books are much better!

Yes the first one (Gunslinger) is slow and mostly dull to be very frank. But after that hold on.

Now Stephen does NOT write literature. So if you just read literature then King will not be for you. His writes commercial stuff. It's King's imagination that's worthy. That is especially true with his DT series.

I havent ever read this series, although Im just about to buy the first one and give it ago. I read a couple of others of his and enjoyed them so hopefully will like this too!

Back