• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is this a crime?

Yes, what I was thinking at the time she disappeared was "it's another Scott Peterson thing".

What I read in the newspaper this morning made me wonder if she's "all there" to begin with. Neither my mom nor I could remember reading anything about what her job is-does anyone know if she even has a job??

there's a world of difference between a "medical assistant" and "nurse". Not sure I want this fruitcake giving me a shot, though!

Here's the brief description of the case that preceeded this one on a girl that faked her own abduction. Whats' the difference in the two cases?

"Last year, a Wisconsin college student who faked her own abduction and turned up curled in a fetal position in a marsh was given three years' probation for obstructing police and was ordered to repay police at least $9,000 for their search."

Perhaps because in this case, the woman seems to have claimed to be abducted then told the truth right away, or at least fairly quickly?

What really should be the concern is, the next time a woman is missing, will people be as quick to search?

if this gal turns up on Oprah or sells her story to a magazine, I'm gonna be throoughly disgusted. Not just with her, but the media too.

Miss Shelf said:
What really should be the concern is, the next time a woman is missing, will people be as quick to search?

that's what upsets me too. you see a lot of this kind of public doubt in date rape cases because of the few women who have cried wolf.
i totally think she should be charged. to me it is the same as yelling bomb in a public place or airplane. it incites panic and then later causes doubt in real situations.

"to me it is the same as yelling bomb in a public place or airplane."

Great analogy jenn - thanx

And I will argue that she deceived many people long before she was caught/found and lied about being kidnapped. The hundreds of volunteers and police in and around Atlanta were all decieved. Suppose one of those police helecopters had crashed while looking for her and the pilots died, and or innocent people on the ground died? Would she be held accountable for that? How many people put their lives in needless jeopardy because she simply could not pick up a phone, or leave a note?

The 600 wedding guests were decieved. The people she worked with/for were decieved when she did not show up for work. Her family, and his family were decieved. It all started within hours of her going out for a 40 minute run with no other belongings but never came home. She cut her hair before she left Atlanta. That's deception.

This is not a person who got lost in the woods because they accidentally walked off the trail. This is a 32 year old women who didn't have the guts to call off the wedding she planned and then purposefully decieved 600 wedding guests, over 100 police in the Atlanta area alone, and many people across the coutry.

I am not going to apologize for my admittedly strong opinion that this women demonstrated moronic, childish, self-centered, guttless behavior that luckily ended up with nobody getting anything other than hurt feelings. This type of thing should not be tolerated, and brushed off with a simple "oh, we just need to have more compassion" thought process.

Charging her with a crime might be the only way to get to the very bottom of the story. It might be the only way to directly hear her side of the story. Put her on the stand and make her spill the beans under oath. At the very least she should be forced to participate in every missing persons search in the state that she lives in for the next 10 years.

Motokid said:
At the very least she should be forced to participate in every missing persons search in the state that she lives in for the next 10 years.

i agree with that. i really believe that trying to find a punishment that fits the crime is the only way people learn what they have done. it's a very basic concept in parenting to find a consequence that fits the action. sending a kid to bed with no supper for failing math makes no sense, but taking away tv/computer privileges till the scores go up does. making her participate in search and rescue for missing people would be an eye opener for what she put people through.

I just read that the fiance still wants to marry her, because when he gave her the engagement ring he made a committment before God, and "don't we all make mistakes?". Wonder how many people will show up for that one? or will they just go to city hall? He's a chump.

I know the soon to be, or most currently jilted (however you care to look at him) fiancee (how do you spelling that horrible word?) is going to be on Hannity & Combs tonight at 9:00pm EST here in the States. That's FoxNews channel I think. Did not take him long to start making TV appearances. I also believe the girls father might be interviewed as well. I just caught part of a commercial for it on the radio.

There's also talk of the DA in the broads hometown possibly filing a civil suit to get her to pay for the 3 days of searching, which currently has a price tag of around 100 large (that's $100,000 for you non-cool types :cool: ).

well keep those of us who don't get the hannity and combs thing posted. dying to know what the groom says.

Motokid said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/01/wilbanks.found/index.html

This women methodically deceived 100's of people for 4 days. She cut her hair so she would not be recognized. There was a Nationwide alert. She new people were looking for her.

Then when she was caught/found she lied about being kidnapped.

I don't know if it's obstruction of justice, or fraud, or what, but this kind of crap is so far above and beyond what should just be brushed off as some dopey broad just getting cold feet. I'm sure she will have hell to live through for some time to come, but I also think at some point she should have to pay for her actions with serious community service and maybe even cash.

Regardless of her "reasons" for running she made a huge, huge error in judgement. One that should be held accountable by more than just street justice. She's 32 years old for cryin' out loud.

edit:
Here's the story on what was happening early in her dissappearance
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/28/woodruff/index.html

helicopters, dogs, 100's of officers, and over 200 volunteers.....
--I feel sorry for those people who spend (actually wasted) their time looking for her,she is so full of herself,the most stupid bride ever!!!!she lied to everyone,I think the police are almost ready to file charges on her fiance,(like Scott Peterson),I'm surprised he still wanna marry her. :rolleyes:

Motokid said:
There's also talk of the DA in the broads hometown possibly filing a civil suit to get her to pay for the 3 days of searching, which currently has a price tag of around 100 large (that's $100,000 for you non-cool types :cool: ).
--I hope it will pushthru,those missing kids deserve that kind of service than her.

I wish I could spread some light on what the fiance said last night, but I could only handle about 10 minutes of the interview before I had to change it. At the risk of starting something that might close this thread I got the feeling this interview was some kind of cable religious service. Lots of talk about praying and quoting passages from the bible, and forgiveness. It was mostly about what they were doing during her dissappearance, and how they were doing in the aftermath. His having to deal with being a suspect and how his faith helped him through all that. The pastor who was supposed to marry them was there and the girls father.

Very little information that's not already public. Remeber now, that this interview is less than 48 hours after she returned from New Mexico. Maybe I missed something by changing the channel, but from what I saw, I was getting nothing but the feeling that everyone involved in this story is a little bit off-center from the average.

«FickleMinded» said:
--I feel sorry for those people who spend (actually wasted) their time looking for her,she is so full of herself,the most stupid bride ever!!!!she lied to everyone,I think the police are almost ready to file charges on her fiance,(like Scott Peterson),I'm surprised he still wanna marry her. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine why he would want to marry her, there'd be no way I would want to after being stood up in front of the entire nation. No way.

"Mason, a 32-year-old office manager whom authorities questioned as a possible suspect in Wilbanks' disappearance, said her case of cold feet did nothing to change how he feels about her.

"'Cause we haven't walked down the aisle, just because we haven't stood in front of 500 people and said our I dos, you know, my commitment before God to her was the day I bought that ring and put it on her finger and I'm not backing down from that now," Mason told Hannity."

I aaded the underline by the way.....

tarablythe said:
I heard that she bought the bus ticket last week...she knew she was going to do this for a week before she did it.
--and they keep saying it's a spur of the moment kinda thing, like hello!!???!!!she bought the ticket one week in advance ,but then that night she went for a jog,she saw the taxi cab and go straight to the bus station?funny,she always keep the bus ticket w/ her the whole week,just in case she decide to disappear? :rolleyes:

A couple of things to say about this:

1. If she'd never mentioned that she was kidnapped, never fabricated any story, would you still be seeking punishment? From what I read it seems she used that story for only a short period of time before confessing the truth. There was never any hunt for the would-be kidnappers (as I believe there was in the case of the college student who faked her kidnapping). THAT would be malicious and I would agree that this should incure a fine.

2. She *did* come forward when she realised people were searching for her. Whether this was because she didn't want to feel hunted or because she knew the trouble she was causing is debatable.

3. She never asked people to look for her. She never did anything malicious, short of making up a story when she turned herself in, and quickly confessing the truth. A police officer said, during the time she was still being searched for, that this may just be a case of cold feet, and "how many men go out for a bottle of milk and never return?"

If this was a man who disappeared there would probably not have been the media sensation or the search intensity. Unfortunate, but true, that we assume that women don't do these things and are more likely to have fallen victim to foul play than to have run away.

4. There's a possible psychiatric explanation for this also. She had anxiety about the wedding - hence the bus ticket - and wanted to escape in the only way she knew how. If you had 600 guests, a town full of expectation, and family pressures on you... how hard to you think it would be to say... "You know what? Let's call this off." Not everyone is so strong willed... running away might have seemed like her only option.

5. Finally - why did this case get such media exposure? Even when it was thought foul play there was a media hype about it. People go missing every day, why was this case so exposed? Probably because it was right before her wedding. If this woman disappeared in a regular week there would have been barely a peep outside of the media in the town. Media activity puts great pressure on the police to pull out all stops to find this woman (political pressure, etc). Is it the woman's fault that more effort (and hence cost) was put into the search for her because the media got a hold of it?

Back