• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is this a crime?

I started this thread as a question. "Is this a crime?"

Obviously, falsely reporting a crime that did not happen is against the law.

And certainly, any adult has the right to go where ever they please, when ever they please.

But when a person, an adult, literally disappears into thin air without so much as a phone call, or a note, or nothing...should that person be held legally, or financially accountable for the aftermath that they cause through this action?

I think they should.

As this case demonstrated quite well, people put their lives on hold, and some put their lives at risk to look for this lady. If she had not stated she was kidnapped, and just said she got scared and ran away, I still think she should have to somehow be held accountable. I think she should have to pay the town the money they spent on searching for her, and perform community service. I like my idea of her having to help in any and all searches for missing persons for the next 10 years or something like that.

You mean nothing about the story or this thread strikes you as particularly entertaining?

Firstly the story makes me laugh, because well she ran away and then there was all this fuss - and then she turned up.

Then what makes me laugh more is that people are so upset about it.

She didn't just run away, she dissappeared. Vanished without a trace.

Wouldn't you be scared shitless if a family member of yours vanished under the same set of circumstances? She vanished without a word doing her normal routine. She took nothing with her. There was no reason to believe anything but the worst.

How is that funny?

Maybe I'm just playing devils advocate... :p

But genuinely, my first reaction is to laugh at the story rather than be up in arms. Maybe it's something to do with the way it was reported. I can't remember where I first heard about it, but they were all definitely laughing a the story too.

Motokid said:
How is that funny?

You do seem to be getting a little irate over all this. Does it have a personal resonance for you? Were you too jilted at the altar?

play the devil all you want...

the story's funny in the context of just a dopey women freakin about a wedding with 600 people in attendance, and splitting on the man she was going to pledge her eternal love to...that's kinda funny....

...and if she'd just made a 30 second phone call, or left a message on a friends (maid of honor maybe) answering machine, or left a note with her engagement ring on the dinning-room table for her fiancee, all things would be funny indeed....

...but given that almost 4 full days had passed without any word....and it might have been longer than 4 days if she had not run out of money...

she needs to pay...and I still question if those types of actions by an adult are not grounds for some kind of criminal charge? A misdemeanor (spelling?) or something? Should not require jail time, but something on her record?

Which causes more dysfunction to a community overall, somebody getting busted for underage drinking, somebody getting caught shoplifting a few braclets or earrings, or somebody vanishing for 4 days?

"You do seem to be getting a little irate over all this."

Not at all irate.
Never been jilted at alter. 15 year anniversery coming in less than 2 months.

I love to debate/argue whatever you wish to call it. I'm glad somebody here is fighting back.

Everything I post is with a smile, or shit-eatin' grin. :D

I only get irate when a thread is closed before I'm done having my say....

You clearly are irate though. You wish to criminalise a woman you've never met because she fled from a wedding you weren't invited to and caused financial expense and worry to people who aren't you.

Do you know what happens behind the closed doors of that relationship? Do you know if she gets beaten senseless every night by her loving fiance? Do you know if the lie was easier than the truth because it made her look bad and left her with fewer bruises to worry about? I don't know any of these things, and so I'm not going to pass judgement over a simple case of a woman getting cold feet and her friends and family panicking.

Maybe she's an idiot. Maybe she caused pointless worry to hundreds. Maybe she didn't think it through. Maybe it was malicious. Or maybe she was just scared. People make mistakes. Should we all be arrested everytime we make an error of judgement? Are you that person without sin who's going to cast the first stone?

Motokid said:
play the devil all you want...

the story's funny in the context of just a dopey women freakin about a wedding with 600 people in attendance, and splitting on the man she was going to pledge her eternal love to...that's kinda funny....

So you do see the funny side. Which is what I asked.

Wouldn't you be scared shitless if a family member of yours vanished under the same set of circumstances? She vanished without a word doing her normal routine. She took nothing with her. There was no reason to believe anything but the worst.

Ahh but it wasn't my family member, or anything to do with me at all. Thus I am totally removed from the event and am free to find humour in it. Which I am. Ho ho ho. People find entertainment in others misery all the time. Sad fact of life.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/01/teens.found.ap/index.html

I am not asking for the parents of the missing kids in this story to pay for anything, or do community service. This was happening at the very same time as the lady road the bus across the country to escape from the reality she helped create.

The boys made an error in judgment too. They made a mistake. I see a huge difference in the two situations.

This is a discussion forum. I am posing a question and having a discussion. I am not the judge, jury and executioner. It's a simple discussion. I am not irate, enraged, angered or anything.

Don't read something into my posts that I have clearly stated is not there.

Here, if this makes it better I'll do this... :D :D :D

Should it be some kind of crime to cause the termoil this lady caused, when there was an absolutely, easy, simple, clear, concise way she could have avoided the whole mess? Multiple numbers of ways she could have avoided it actually.

again... :D :D :D .... (no anger intended...not irate...) :D :D :D

A common theme runs through your posts. You keep returning to the question of should it be a crime. Therefore, clearly, a part of you thinks it does. These thoughts don't just materialise out of thin air. There needs to be a seed of a thought in existence. I read your posts and I interpret what I see. What I see is repetition of a central theme. Should it be a crime? Should it be a crime? Should it be a crime?

You answer your own question with every post you make.

And as far as Freya's question goes. Actually, it is pretty funny.

I don't think Moto is on the band wagon for "punishment" (I don't think), but there is (having read up on the situation) a band wagon for "punishment" -- everything from issuing a public apology (and/or a series of personal apologies), to reimbursement for the expenses related to the "search" for her, to pressing for federal charges because her claim that she was taken by a Hispanic male is "a slander against an entire race of people." It's quite the bruhaha.

However, the Pirate Wench is right. There is more going on here than the public is privy too, and therefore, people should hold off on their thirst for vengeance until all the facts of the case are sorted out.

the reason i don't find the story funny is because laughing at it makes light of a very serious problem. when people go missing it should be taken seriously. we are exposed to kidnappings, sexual abuse and murder everyday (in the media) and when we're duped by confused, scared or just flighty people, we shouldn't laugh or take it lightly because that may reflect on the next case. the last thing i want to see is public apathy or disinterest in any missing person case.

regardless of her personal situation, Wilbank's had a responsibility to her family, friends and those looking for her to let people know she was OK. i was in LA on the day her case came into the media, and remained in LA for the next 3 days. there was coverage on almost every TV channel- there is NO WAY she didn't know people were looking for her earlier. and even if she didn't turn on the TV- how could she not know her family and friends would be worried about her?

however, i don't think she should be charged for a crime. i think she should be fined or have to pay a portion of the search costs. here in BC, when dopey skiers or snowboarders cross mountain boundaries and need rescueing, they often have to pay for the ambulance and rescue costs. same should apply to Wilbanks. she made a mistake, she should pay for it. it has nothing to do with revenge. responsibility can be a bitch

I just read that her neighbors are getting upset that she hasn't made a public apology yet, and a Hispanic group is getting ready to picket her house. Her therapist says she isn't ready to make a public apology, but I think Cold Feet better do it fast before people start showing up with torches and pitchforks.

Welcome back Jenem and a damn fine response. Thank you.

it's about personal accountability and the seriously easy access to being able to make things right in her situation...

being on a bus for most of the time I don't think she had access to TV or newspapers, but she had to know her fiancee would be freaking out, and her parents...

when are you gonna get tired of this? I'm already happy that Michael Jackson is back on the news, and that's saying a LOT.

Miss Shelf said:
when are you gonna get tired of this? I'm already happy that Michael Jackson is back on the news, and that's saying a LOT.

Right after people stop adding to the Dan Brown thread :D

Back