• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is this a crime?

To quote an article from the LA Times:

"Tom Smily, her pastor, said in an interview on Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes" on Monday night that Wilbanks' fear was "not about the wedding" or whether to marry Mason, but centered on "issues that caved in on her."

As she rode a bus across the country, Mason (the fiance) said, she was petrified."

The key points, I think: It was more than cold feet over a wedding and petrified people don't always exercise good judgement.

Like I said, there's facts missing, so put the pitch forks down for now.

"when are you gonna get tired of this?"

Have you not been paying attention...novella said she was not a bit surprised when I stated I had a pitbull for a dog...

I'll stop when I have the last post...which means everybody else is tired of it.

And I really hope your kidding about MJ. Talk about a freak show....that's another thread though....

Please, no MJ threads! I'll do anything! The other day I was walking past the TV and they had his horrible face on. I was afraid it would give me nightmares.

thanks Moto, nice to be back (for the few mins i can).

i am sorry to beat a dead horse (ew) but i just got here so i'm not sick of this thread yet.

Irene Wilde said:
The key points, I think: It was more than cold feet over a wedding and petrified people don't always exercise good judgement.

since when is not exersizing good judgement an excuse for not having to take responsibility?

how many more facts does one need? even if her fiance did beat her or whatever other possibility you want to attribute to her behaviour- she is still responsible for a bunch of hoopla that could have been diverted with a phone call

It also does not hurt her case to really, really play the "emotional wreck" card to gain any tidbit of sympathy she can get.

Does an emotional breakdown excuse the husband who beats his wife to death after he finds her cheating on him with his best friend?

ok, so my wife pisses me off to a point that I leave on my 2002 Yamaha R1 and pin the throttle on some back road somewhere to clear my head of the anger and rage that my wife caused.

Somewhere at around 150mph a cop spots me and I get arrested for excessive speeding. Should I get off with a "well, you know, he was just in a blind rage...he really can't be held accountable since he was a tad out of his mind with rage....and besides...the only person he really put in danger was himself..."

No, because you would have been breaking the law, and she wasnt.

"Like, D'uh!"

Phil :)

PS... Oh dear, resorting to quotes from Clueless, I must go recharge my powers of sarcasm.

So are you saying she should "get off" with only her pride between her legs?

Are you saying that she should not be held accountable for her actions outside of what will happen to her from her friends and family and their dissappointment?

Actually I only have a very vague notion of what you are all talking about, I was just being annoying :) Something about the woman who didnt turn up at her wedding and informed no-one despite heavy media coverage? So what, I have no idea why people would get so uppity about it - people disappear all the time when they want to be by themselves :rolleyes:

Phil

If you so desire you can read back through this thread. There's too much to restate what's going on.....I'm not sure people just dissappear like this chick did, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't happen all the time...

Of course they do, the National Missing Persons list is HUGE!! To be honest, I have no desire to read the thread, or particularly to get involved on the issue :)

Phil

"the National Missing Persons list is HUGE!!"

errmm, yes I guess you are correct on that one.

however, the circumstances around this girls dissappearance make things different....I guess.....I don't know why things were blown so wide open in this case and not others....

I do know that if she, or her family, or her fiancee does not pony up the money to cover the cost of searching for her, then tax payers have to pony it up, which means schools can't have that money, or the public library can't have that money for new books, or the homeless shelters can't have it.

Again, I'm sure it's partly bad timing with all the other cases of wives being murdered by their husbands, and little girls being kidnapped, raped, and murdered. Timing means a lot.

People want drunk drivers to be 100% responcible for their own actions.
I think this woman should certainly be held at least partially responcible for her actions too.

Motokid, I don't know where you're going here, because I got distracted counting how many times you misspelled "responsible".

I can't believe I'm getting dragged back into this one... Have a giggle Freya.

It's not illegal to not tell someone where you're going. It may not be socially acceptable in terms of the worry and stress it puts on your family, but it's not illegal. It's a freedom that most adults have the right to exercise.

The MOST she could be charged for is being a public nuisance. However any half decent lawyer could argue that she was in a psycologically disturbed state and wasn't aware of the fuss she was creating. Given she was on a bus for most of the time, you could also argue that she probably WAS unaware that such a stir had been created.

And as to the idea that claiming her kidnapper was of a certain race and thus it being a racist slur???? Come ON! That's just ridiculous!!

Okay, that's all I have to say on this - Moto: I don't think it's illegal. QED

Back