• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is this the end for books?

Another for my list of ways in which Americans are seen as different. It grows and grows. :)

Ebooks will go the same way as music and video: every time the format changes you'll have to chuck out your whole collection and buy new. There's already a format war: one reader for Amazon, and another incompatible one for the local library.

In my opinion, Americans are just more openly honest about rebellious spirit... rising up and bucking the system to get rich.

It may be that indie booksellers are doomed. This article is certainly aimed at hastening their demise by directly attacking arguments in their favor and either discounting them or claiming that they are foolish. But in a landscape devoid of indie booksellers, where will the bookbuyer's money go? He suggests museums, local theatre groups, local craft furniture makers, farmers' markets. Would your's, anybody? It's any body's guess. But he does also go to pains to point out the advantages to the bookbuyer of spending at Amazon. Which might also be true. And that I suspect is exactly where the bookbuyers' money would go. But a writer fostering that conclusion in a magazine admittedly affiliated with Amazon hardly strikes me as surprising. So what else is new?

Americans as opposed to whom, might I ask? :confused:

I haven't met many Spaniards or Germans who would disregard their impact for a quick buck now. Americans seem to have a me first, gimme all the money mentality that I have not seen much here. Maybe I'm not hanging out with the right people. ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_mystery.gif

Sparkchaser, I am not sure I approve of such communist sentiment.

Who do I need to complain to around here about the left-wing bias of this site?

Sparkchaser, I am not sure I approve of such communist sentiment.

Who do I need to complain to around here about the left-wing bias of this site?

I'm sure Bill O'Reilly would be happy to do a spot on it.

Thanks. I've popped Mr Reilly an email.

Until then do you think you could tone down the party line a little, komrade.

I haven't met many Spaniards or Germans who would disregard their impact for a quick buck now. Americans seem to have a me first, gimme all the money mentality that I have not seen much here.
Many thanks for your reply, Sparky. I've long been interested in why people make the remarks about Americans that they do.
:flowers:

Many thanks for your reply, Sparky. I've long been interested in why people make the remarks about Americans that they do.

You don't have to go far to see why. Usually watching TV suffices. Also, being one helps.

You don't have to go far to see why. Usually watching TV suffices.
Well, I don't watch TV but, irrespective, I was more interested in their own frames of reference that people were using to justify their comparisons -- which you kindly supplied in your post.
So, thanks,

Who knows? It might be. I mean, it's cheaper to publish them, you aren't relying on the price of ink (which is based on the price of oil), and you don't have to wait for them to ship or be printed.

Back