• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jeff Tweedy (of Wilco) on people talking during shows

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
YouTube - Jeff Tweedy - People Talking During Concert

I hate paying good money to see a show only to be distracted by inconsiderate jackasses chit chatting about whatever instead of listening to the music that THEY PAID to come see.

Why do people do that?

Oh, and Helgi: if you're not going to offer anything constructive to this thread please don't post in it.

A few months ago, I went to go see Don Dilego play at a local bistro and there was a group of 5 women that would not stop talking during the show. It got so bad that they were drowning out the music. They were asked nicely to be quiet but they wouldn't shut up so the management eventually asked them to leave. As they left, the whole place cheered and clapped.

I love Jeff Tweedy and Wilco. (but I'm a little biased, Alot of great bands come from Chicago.)

;)

The funny thing is, this seems to be a lot worse in America than in Europe. Having listened to a few hundred bootleg recordings of all sorts of artists, it's usually easy to spot which ones are recorded in America - it's the ones of people talking and talking and talking and going "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" in the middle of the most intimate ballads. (For a really bad but hilarious example, search out Pink Floyd's gig in Montreal in 1977: )
Roger Waters said:
Aww, for ****'s sake, stop letting off fireworks and shouting and screaming, I'm trying to sing a song! I mean, I don't care, if you don't want to hear it, you know, **** you. I'm sure there's a lot of people who do want to hear it, so why don't you just be quiet? If you wanna let your fireworks off, go outside and let them off out there, and if you wanna shout and scream and holler go and do it out there but... I'm trying to sing a song that some people want to listen to. I want to listen to it!

Which is not to say it's not a problem here. One of the funniest gigs I've been to was Hamell On Trial in a small bar where half the audience didn't know who he was and tried to heckle him... they REALLY didn't fare very well. That man's snarkier than a barrel full of Blackadders.

(And pretty much what everyone else has said in this thread.)

The funny thing is, this seems to be a lot worse in America than in Europe. Having listened to a few hundred bootleg recordings of all sorts of artists, it's usually easy to spot which ones are recorded in America - it's the ones of people talking and talking and talking and going "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" in the middle of the most intimate ballads. (For a really bad but hilarious example, search out Pink Floyd's gig in Montreal in 1977: )

That doesn't surprise me.

I am reminded by a quote from Firefly - "...you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre."

We can only hope.:rolleyes:

This is you, right? OurStage.com

Voice lessons aren't that expensive. I'm sure you could work out a trade with a voice coach: witty repertoire for breathing exercises.

:eek:

You're right about breath control – there is none – but I'm not sure whether lessons would help much with the inability to even hit the right note, as opposed to a number of flat ones in there.

There's also no actual sense of rhythm and the performance can hardly be described as engaging.

The instrumentation isn't good either.

The instrumentation isn't good either.

I was proceeding under the assumption that the wood flute bit was purposefully played as to sound like a three year old had picked it up and was attempting to accompany the guitar.

Sparkchaser trolled in the first post

No. I merely asked a question that was prompted based on a youtube clip I watched and a personal experience. I attempted to preemptively prevent you from posting nonsense in my thread but I should have known better.

Back on topic: do you agree with what Tweedy said?

I've removed all the trolling. So back on topic, eh?

I think I'm in love.

About the topic at hand. Yes, I agree about smaller venues and people talking, but I think that it's easier to notice the talking versus the large venues with thousands of people in attendance

I have never had this problem before but I would not like it if it did happen to me. Most of the shows I've seen are far too loud for me to be distracted by anybody talking.

This clip on YouTube got me thinking about Uncle Tupelo and how it eventually disbanded. I wonder who was more to blame, Farrar or Tweedy? I suppose we are really better off for it though because now we have two great bands istead of one.

This clip on YouTube got me thinking about Uncle Tupelo and how it eventually disbanded. I wonder who was more to blame, Farrar or Tweedy? I suppose we are really better off for it though because now we have two great bands istead of one.

That's the way I look at it too.

What about Sun Volt and Uncle Tupelo?:rolleyes:

Ok, just to give you a geography lesson. Belleville, IL where Jay Farrar and Mike Heidorn are from is Not.....let me repeat NOT part of Chicago. Belleville is considered the St. Louis area (only 1/2 hour away).... actually, it's more south of St. Louis. So there:p

Ok, just to give you a geography lesson. Belleville, IL where Jay Farrar and Mike Heidorn are from is Not.....let me repeat NOT part of Chicago. Belleville is considered the St. Louis area (only 1/2 hour away).... actually, it's more south of St. Louis. So there:p

Like I didn't know that.:rolleyes: You are gonna get such a spanking!:p

I love Jeff Tweedy. "Let's see how long we can be quiet and see how f***ing awesome it feels."

Anyway.. people talking during concerts seriously pisses me off. I commend Mr. Tweedy for saying something about it. I wish he had when I saw them back in March. Some idiot was screaming at the top of his lungs, "F--- yeah" the whole time behind me.

Back