• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Judging a book by its Cover

What does being Christian have to do with Darwinism?

Would it shock you to learn that the two aren't mutually exclusive? It wasn't until the 1920's that fundamentalists started the divide we enjoy today.

Evolution is a observed fact.

Well I know where you're coming from. And yes, I believe in a sort of evolution...but as God's intention. But I am not going to say I believe humans evolved from monkeys...

:registers frustration at not being able to convey his tone:sad::

Don't worry about it. sparkchaser and myself are not the ones you have to worry about. There's other far deadlier creatures lurking in the ether and they will attack.

:registers frustration at not being able to convey his tone:sad::

Don't worry about it. sparkchaser and myself are not the ones you have to worry about. There's other far deadlier creatures lurking in the ether and they will attack.

Oh well I am not one for confrontation...I try to get along with everybody for the most part. I just came here to discuss books primarily of course.

I don't reckon I've bought a book just because of it's cover...but neat/pretty/weird/etc. covers do catch my attention! Here are some of my favorite covers to the books I have recently read:

dqrxwj.jpg
160br76.gif
nvdq8o.jpg
2ldhusy.jpg

Love the first cover:)

Love the first cover:)

I know isn't it beautiful? Please do read this book. It's a personal favorite! It didn't win anything (least I don't think so) but oh my gosh I am in love with it...as bad as that sounds. It will forever remain on my bookshelf- well friends and family are more than welcome to read it. They just have to give it back to me :D

I've read "Darwinia". I bought it for the cover. :whistling: It was a pretty good read too.

Most of the time I have to ignore the covers so that I will read a book. Some of the newer editions of classics, for instance have such boring cover pictures that they turn me off the book. Especially when they are ' artistic' photography and you can't tell what is going on, but you are pretty sure it has nothing to do with the story. Unfortunately I see so many of those covers that it makes me grab and buy a lot of bright, happy, or ornate covers...only to find out later that the stories don't interest me. A good example of this was a copy of Peter Mayle's " Anything Considered". The cover was so jazzy, I just couldn't resist it. Didn't really care for the novel though.

I've read "Darwinia". I bought it for the cover. :whistling: It was a pretty good read too.

Most of the time I have to ignore the covers so that I will read a book. Some of the newer editions of classics, for instance have such boring cover pictures that they turn me off the book. Especially when they are ' artistic' photography and you can't tell what is going on, but you are pretty sure it has nothing to do with the story. Unfortunately I see so many of those covers that it makes me grab and buy a lot of bright, happy, or ornate covers...only to find out later that the stories don't interest me. A good example of this was a copy of Peter Mayle's " Anything Considered". The cover was so jazzy, I just couldn't resist it. Didn't really care for the novel though.

doesn't that just bug you? when the cover really doesn't have anything to do with the book? another thing that bothers is when two different books have similar covers...like the photo cover that I posted of "The Diplomat's Wife", I saw that same picture on another book and it just didn't seem right to me :-/ Oh well.

Yes! It makes it really confusing. Especially when the stories are completely different. I recently bought a copy of "Candide" and the cover has a black and white photograph of a rose topiary. :confused:

Also there seems to be a great selection of books whose covers have blurred images of little girls running through yards or gardens. I pulled down three books yesterday in the library that had similar covers. Must be stock photos or something.

Unfortunatly, I have done it before. But even if the cover is awful, I would have read the summery first. But I am getting out of habit of doing so!

Cover really do not matter for me. I don't even understand the reason to look at the cover. What attracts me is the Title and the Sub-Title. anyone ?

Back