• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Empire of the Sun and Schindler's List both manage to not trigger my Spielberg allergy too badly - that they're both based on true stories probably helps reign him in. Schindler's List especially was really impressive - all those scenes of utter horror that just pass by in the blink of an eye and become part of everyday life in hell. Still not enough to redeem Spielberg as a director in my eyes, but he can deliver when he wants to.

The exact reason I have not watched either.

The Black Dahlia
There's just one word for it: bad.

I enjoyed the book so much that I went right out (against my better instincts) and rented the movie. I couldn't even watch it for 30 minutes. I had to turn it off.
STRONGLY agree with BG. If you haven't read the book, pick it up. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Passion Play. Apparently the writer/director waited twenty years to make this movie. Too bad he didn't use that time to hone his directorial skills. Seriously, this movie was boring and weirdly shot.

Scream 4 -:star3: possibly :star4: but I need to re-watch.

I am a huge film of the first Scream film, which I think did revitalise the horror film genre somewhat, after the dire state it was in in the late 90s. Though I enjoyed the first sequel, the second one was wanting slightly I think.

Scream 4 was a decent film, but I think started off a little weakly. As result it took a little while to find its feet, and though in the end wasn't a bad horror film at all, could've been much stronger I think.

Definitely weird seeing the main characters from the first movie aged so...

Ip Man :star3: (for what it was)
Here is a modern kung fu movie that reminded me so much of the ones i watched when i was a kid that I am required to give it three stars. Horrible english voice over (and horrible voices), plot designed totally as a vehicle to get you to the next fight scene, simplistic uplifting moral, and oh yeah, some pretty darn good kung fu fighting! If you didn't grow up watching kung fu theater on Saturday morning you probably should skip it. If you did...... it might be worth a watch for nostalgia sake.

Silent Hill. It had potential, but the story was too thin. I did like Alice Krige's turn as the schoolteacher/cult leader.

Faster :star3:
I know, a dumb action/revenge movie, but...... It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. Pretty Straightforward plot: The rock and his brother are victims of a double cross and are both killed. Only the Rock somehow lives, and after spending ten years in the joint, gets out and sets off to kill everyone that was in the room where his brother was murdered. The Rock is relentless, and Billy Bob Thornton plays a pretty good drug addicted, weird, burned out human being.... which is a little like saying Snoop Dogg plays a pretty decent LA Gang member... but still. Good plot twist at the end and the action is brutal.

Silent Hill. It had potential, but the story was too thin. I did like Alice Krige's turn as the schoolteacher/cult leader.

The production values on this were top notch, and the whole Silent Hill town was so very well realised. I tend to agree with you - the story really was a bit meh, wasn't it.

It was two hours of characters stumbling upon one weird place after another. I did enjoy the art direction and SFX, although some of the computer graphics weren't convincing.

Submarine. Yeah, we've seen the "socially awkward teenager tries to get laid in boring smalltown" plot before, but it's really done well here. Craig Roberts basically plays David Brent of The Office as an insufferably pretentious teenager, there's just enough cringe comedy to not head off into full-on embarrassment or Diablo Codyesque smugness, the supporting characters are well-developed, and it knows what to take seriously. :star4:

Hanna. Teenage girl is trained by her ex-CIA father to become a perfect killing machine, and then she's let loose to fend for herself in a world she's never had to live in... slightly predictable but incredibly well-acted (watch out for Saorsie Ronan), looks really good, and doesn't shy away from bad things happening to good people. Best new action flick I've seen all year. :star4:

Back