• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Man, that one is a piece of shit. Arnie was supposedly angry that they billed him so high, when he basically has just a cameo.

It did seem odd how he got top billing. I just assumed it was part of his contract.
Would you say this was on par or worse than Conan the Destroyer?

It's hard to choose between two turds like that, since they're both god awful.

True dat. Even as a kid I thought those two were whack.

Marvel Weekend.
X Men First Class and Thor :star3: 1/2
Both were pretty entertaining. Better than the rest of the crap Marvel has been spewing out.

Stone ????
Not sure what to say about it. I was engrossed, so that is probably a positive. Performance from Robert DeNiro was surprisingly good in light of his last 5-8 years of sub par stuff. I am a big Edward Norton fan, but didn't quite buy him in this role. Milla Jovich = yummy.
Anyhow, the movie has tension and suspense in spades, but it left me sort of.... I don't know what. I guess I didn't get it. I wanted to know more about why the characters did what they did : motivation, intent, etc. It was sort of like watching people do things without any insight into why. It left too much for me to figure out on my own without any help. Anyhow if anyone else has seen it I would be curious to know what you thought.

Insidious - :star4:

This horror film based around the haunted house premise, albeit adapted somewhat, was both interesting and very creepy. It worked well because it avoided certain cliches, whilst executing others to perfection.

The fact that the characters acknowledge that something very strange is going on around them quite soon in the film gives a kind of gravitas to the proceedings, and then the ball keeps rolling quite strongly.

It's not perfect, there are some minor niggles here and there, but then these pale in comparison with some other supposedly highly feted horror films of recent times such as Paranormal Activity. However, its strengths, in decent scares throughout and a consistent story, work well in its favour.

Insidious - :star4:
I liked it too, except for the ending.

Ironclad ~ grim and bloody, about the siege of Rochester by King John. Helluva cast.

Ironclad-Movie-Poster.jpg
awww.onlinemovieshut.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_06_ironclad_movie_poster.jpg

Island :star3: Stars Natalie Press,Colin Morgan & Janet McTeer. Atmospheric
movie set on the Hebrides about a young woman searching for her natural birth mother. Beautiful locations,and the film's o.k,if fairly gloomy.

Red State. What the hell, Kevin Smith? You promised me a horror movie about the rising tide of religious fundamentalism. Instead, you delivered a poorly paced, unfunny, dull siege movie about how things might play out if Fred Phelps were also David Koresh. Dude, put the bong down and look at yourself. You used to have a career, damnit. :star1:

Horrible Bosses. Essentially Office Space (except not quite as funny and relatable) crossed with It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (except not quite as funny and outrageous). Still good fun, but forgettable. Here's hoping Charlie Day gets more big-screen work, though. :star3:

Insidious. Genuinely creepy. Looks great. Nice direction. Awful script. :star3:

Isn't it just v. creepy indeed! A few friends I've spoken to who've seen it think it's one of the scarier films of recent years, in terms of genuine creepiness/atmosphere. (Now I've said that, everyone will watch thinking it's amazing and be disappointed lol)

Fire In The Sky (1993) 'True-life' sci-fi about a woodcutter who's abducted by aliens and his friends all see it happen,but surprisingly enough nobody in their close-knit town called Snowflake believes them! Not a bad film,and the interior space-ship scenes are very good. Stars D.B Sweeney,Robert Patrick & James Garner. :star3:

Free Willy 4: Escape from Pirate's Cove
Nothing in common with the other films in the series except that the little girl decided to name the imprisoned baby orca Willy. I did enjoy it, and liked the educational aspects of it too.

Catching up on some recent horror movies:

Troll Hunter. Norwegian horror movies have gotten a bit of a boost after Dead Snow, and this one shouldn't disappoint those who liked that movie (I loved it). It's not quite as over the top humorous, but the story of a camera crew who set out to do a documentary on bear poaching and end up tagging along with Norway's only known troll hunter is both fun and creepy - plus, damn, it looks good. It's very hard to film Norwegian mountains and not make it beautiful, with or without huge three-headed trolls. :star4:

The Troll Hunter Official trailer ENGLISH version! - YouTube

Seconds Apart. Very low-budget US creeper about identical twins with eerie powers. Turned it off after 30 minutes out of boredom. :star1:

Attack The Block. A bunch of teenage hoodlums in a London council estate are busy robbing a woman when suddenly, aliens invade! So our junior delinquents, realising that the police aren't going to help them, grab their baseball bats and fireworks and decide to kick some alien arse, innit. If I tell you Edgar Wright and Nick Frost of Shaun of the Dead are involved that should probably give you a hint of what's going on. Bloody, funny, and really quite effective. :star3:

Attack The Block - Official HD - YouTube

Troll Hunter. Norwegian horror movies have gotten a bit of a boost after Dead Snow, and this one shouldn't disappoint those who liked that movie (I loved it). It's not quite as over the top humorous, but the story of a camera crew who set out to do a documentary on bear poaching and end up tagging along with Norway's only known troll hunter is both fun and creepy - plus, damn, it looks good. It's very hard to film Norwegian mountains and not make it beautiful, with or without huge three-headed trolls.
This one was tons of fun. Amazing visually, especially at the jaw dropping finale when he posts up against a 200 ft tall troll. Loved it.

Red State. It's only a horror movie for twenty minutes. I knew there was going to be a shootout/siege scene but I didn't expect it to dominate most of the movie.

Red State. It's only a horror movie for twenty minutes. I knew there was going to be a shootout/siege scene but I didn't expect it to dominate most of the movie.

Yeah. The good news is that Kevin Smith is planning to retire after the next one...

I just got back from seeing the remake of Fright Night, and I'll be damned if it isn't better than the original. Well paced, fun (David Tennant as an alcoholic vampire hunter!), and thank FSM someone still bothers making vampire movies where they're actual fucking MONSTERS and don't spend half the movie either moping or making a big mystery of whether they're really vampires or not; instead, let's establish right away that Colin Farrell is a bloodthirsty beast with not a single shred of human emotion anywhere in him. (And the same goes for the part he plays, hahahahaha.) The 3D was utterly pointless, of course, but when is it not? :star4:

The most recent film I attended was Twilight. I have formerly watched the movie a copious amount of times, but I my aptitude toward the Twilight Saga never seems to cease. The book is incomparable to the movie, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Fire In The Sky (1993) 'True-life' sci-fi about a woodcutter who's abducted by aliens and his friends all see it happen,but surprisingly enough nobody in their close-knit town called Snowflake believes them! Not a bad film,and the interior space-ship scenes are very good. Stars D.B Sweeney,Robert Patrick & James Garner. :star3:

Man, that movie scared me for some reason. Maybe because I was like 12 years old. :lol:

Back