• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Martin said:
Karl Urban even does something for me! No, seriously, I like him, you know, as an actor. Liked him in Riddick, liked him in Bourne, and I liked him in Rings.

What can I say, I liked him.

On Riddick - the original plans were a trilogy, with Chronicles beng the first (and Pitch Black being a kind of prequel, a la The Hobbit), but it tanked so mercilessly that I doubt the sequels will ever be made.

Cheers

Chronicles of Riddick didn't do well?

Martin said:
Karl Urban even does something for me! No, seriously, I like him, you know, as an actor. Liked him in Riddick, liked him in Bourne, and I liked him in Rings.

What can I say, I liked him.

On Riddick - the original plans were a trilogy, with Chronicles beng the first (and Pitch Black being a kind of prequel, a la The Hobbit), but it tanked so mercilessly that I doubt the sequels will ever be made.

Cheers

just thought i'd quietly point it out.

Gee, you found one. Kudos. Thank god I don't make the same mistake, post after post after post after post (ad infinitum).

Cheers

If it takes poor spelling to be charming, I'd pick <antonym of charming> any day of the week.

Anyway, films, anyone?

Cheers

I watched The Sum of All Fears yesterday. I didn't really want to see it, but it ended up having at least one redeeming feature: they tried very hard to let the actors speak different languages, and not just English with different accents. The fact that they at least tried is admirable, but it didn't always work out well.

Sin City. I liked the mood of this movie, and the visual side. It was like watching the movie version of Max Payne, except there was no Max Payne, not in name at least. Was fairly impressed with the fuckedupness (think I made a new word?) of Elijah Wood's character. Didn't really like the story/stories though but it's still an okay movie.

The Machinist. Brilliant movie, just my kind of strange story. Christian Bale is great in this one. Can't help but think Fightclub after watching it.

a love song for bobby long....excellent and highly recommend it....john travolta is amazing in this......a must!!

hay82 said:
The Machinist. Brilliant movie, just my kind of strange story. Christian Bale is great in this one. Can't help but think Fightclub after watching it.
Excellent - gonna watch this one very very soon. I saw a snippet of it the other day, and it's amazing that this scrawny guy is the same dude who plays batman.

Thanks for the recommendation - comparing it to Fight Club only makes me want to see it more.

Cheers

Martin said:
Thanks for the recommendation - comparing it to Fight Club only makes me want to see it more.
I better make it clear that I'm not comparing it to Fight Club, just saying there where a few elements in it that reminded me of Fight Club. Great movie though so enjoy.

Went to see Sin City today... great stuff! Visually the movie is stunning. The movie gets into your skin with it's grim, grit, darkness and voilence. A brilliant movie. Go see!

Why We Fight. A documentary about the militiary industries influence on American foreign policy. Scary.

movies

Sunday was movie day for me. Watched the following:

1. I (heart) Huckabees. I liked this one, though I will admit I occasionally fazed out during the more existentialist bits.

2. Wet Hot American Summer. This one was ridiculous (in a good way). I just love David Hyde Pierce, I can't help it.

3. Napoleon Dynamite. I think its hilarious. It makes me very happy.

yes, napolean dynamite was a definate great! i alos really like i heart huckabees.....i watched a love song for bobby long the other night...highly, HIGHLY recommend it...tres bien!!

i watched the life aquatic with steve zissou. i don't know what i think. i loved the royal tenenbaums, so i was anticipating something unusual. and the cast of this film is unbelievable. parts of it were so hilarious ie: cross section of the belafonte with the actors moving through it, and the soundtrack is great. but i don't know. i need to think about it some more. i didn't love it.

jenngorham said:
i watched the life aquatic with steve zissou. i don't know what i think. i loved the royal tenenbaums, so i was anticipating something unusual. and the cast of this film is unbelievable. parts of it were so hilarious ie: cross section of the belafonte with the actors moving through it, and the soundtrack is great. but i don't know. i need to think about it some more. i didn't love it.

yes yes yes, jenn. I saw Zissou two nights ago and I also am not sure I liked it. My fave character was Willem Dafoe as Klausie. He was funny. But the movie as a whole had a melancholoy allegorical quality that didn't really gel with the comedy. But the end was affecting. And then there was that black guitar player singing Bowie songs in French. He was sort of like the chorus in a Greek tragedy. I also liked the various fish-actors (pair of dophins, whale in window). The thing was sort of schizophrenic. I don't know either . . .

Back