• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Cube. A sci-fi/horror film about seven strangers trapped in a cube-like maze that's rigged with traps. Not without its boring moments but for a film that takes place in one location, it was quite thrilling. Given the budget of $400,000 the special effects are well-developed (the special effects company provided their services for free).

Lucky number slevin - it was average by the end i didn't care about the various twists and turns. Harnett(sp?) is not as bad an actor as i had previously imagined go figure

I saw spirited away for really cheap in hmv and did not buy it

The Proposition - oz western set during the 1800's penned by nick cave, i thought this would be above average but honestly it was brillant. There were so many fantastic performances from ray winston to guy pearce but especially huston i can't remember his first name. The story was paced slowly except for brief interruptions for extreme volience which were always justified. Visually the movie was beautiful and i like how simply the plot was i've always felt westerns need to be simple to compliment the setting.

<3 <3 i shall be seing it again

On Wednesday I went to the theaters to see The Libertine. While the performances from Johnny Depp and John Malkovich were outstanding, the film itself felt incomplete and uneven. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but given the source material it could have been so much more.

Pride and Prejudice, both BBC (1995) and Universal (2005). I like the BBC Series a little bit more, but both movies are great.

Tonight I'm going to watch Mona Lisa Smile.

Syriana - I thought the various narrative strands tied together perfectly, I had expected from reviews it would be near incomprehensible or veer off into tedium but it kept me attention through out. The problem I had with it was I didn't feel any tension towards the end of the movie.

The worlds fastest Indian - by the book old fashioned under dog triumphs cum road movie; I’m a sucker for these sort of movies. I enjoyed Hopkins who portrays the eccentric Burt but I always knew he was acting as the character rather than completely becoming him (same crap with heath ledger in Brokeback Mountain) which put a downer on it.

The Weather Man - ugh below average in every respect, the movie just seemed half baked with nearly every actor appearing to sleep walk through it. I love Cage and Cain so it was still enjoyable to watch them but just a disappointment. It also has by far the most irritating score I’ve ever heard in my life!

Two for the money - same deal as the weather man, great actor in a terrible movie but I adore al pacino and was happy to just watch him does his thing.

The Pink Panther - If you have seen the son of the pink panther then watch this otherwise give it a miss. It's the second worst film in the series <\3 and Steve martin deserves death.

The hidden blade – set against the backdrop of westernisation of Japanese military forces focusing on a maids’ relationship with a samurai. I’ll admit I’m a sucka for samurai movies that are about the social system and so on, I find fight scenes longer than 2 minutes to be tedious, I utterly enjoyed this movie from the romance plot to the acting <3

Where the truth lies – enjoyable but something was lacking, while I cannot place what it was I’d hazard a guess at lazy direction. The acting was superb and it was an enjoyable movie with plot twists, I fail to see why Kevin bacons ass has to be in every movie we know it’s a great ass ok? Side rant: The movie reminded me of a law and order I saw the night before but only in the timing of twists. I HATE law and order, you nip out for a drink and within 2 minutes they have a twist leaving you going ‘wtf’ I invested 40mins of my time only to be left bewildered with the episodes end

The Churchill years – twas allot of promo for a release at the movies which never materialised. The idea that Churchill as an us marine along with the decent British comedy cast made this seem as if it would be good. It was painfully unfunny dreadful, it had about 3 decent jokes, a waste for such a novel idea

Lolita 97 – how old was she in this movie, I fear I’m going to hell

Charlie and the chocolate factory - it was fine, I’m not a hardcore fan and enjoyed both the original and this I disliked the ommpa lompas though

Dear Wendy - It was enjoyable overall with a few nice moments and a lot of hilarious ones that were unintentional. The movie failed in what it tried to do it, a movie about gun fetish only created a fetish for guns in me but alas we don’t allow handguns <\3

fantastic four - Dreadful I died a bit inside

Silver City - the movie was all over the place, it was still funny with the bush impression but really did smack of lets influence the shmucks who vote

The skeleton key - dreadful first half, ticks all the boxes, rarely scary but the second half picks up

Madagascar - it's not pixar! It was half way decent with a strange moral it's ok to eat fish but not animals, wtf?

Ok I’m bored

Dead Man's Shoes - I adore this movie and willingly ignore the faults because it's so enjoyable to watch Paddy Considines brillant performance as the righteous marine back for vengence. It has a few twists in it but is at the core a revenge movie using a derby town as the backdrop.The use of i assume digital film adds to the general gritty look and sparse feel of the whole movie. <3

My Summer of Love - Working class teen Mona with the born again christian brother(paddy considine as per usual wonderful) meets Tasmin pretty much a toff on holidays in Yorkshire. They fall in love but it's all based on lies and eventually crumbles when Tasmin is found out, call me cynical but teenage lesbians and the backdrop of born again religion seems slightly contrived. I still found it really enjoyable,Mona is simply beautiful,she must have my children!

Firewall - Oh lord,i had expected this to be sub par Ford action but it was just bizzare. Once he would growl menancly at a terrorist now it's his sectary! it was as if they just editted his old movies and wrapped them around a plot that was one big metaphor for Ford trying to assemble his home pc while aching from arthertis. I sincerely hope all plans for indie 4 are shelved.

Aliens
Alien

-I bought the quadrilogy for my boyfriend for Christmas... and I'm just now watching it. I'm on Alien3 and so far I think the 2nd one is the best. But I love how gothic the first one is. HR Giger is brilliant!

Velvet Goldmine ~ Gay rock stars and fanservice, what's not to love? Ewan McGregor and Christian Bale were delicious in their roles. This is a guilty pleasure movie for me.

Crash and The Island. They were both great, especially Crash, but I thought that TI went for a bit too long. I'm not good at sitting still for more than about 1 1/2 hours.

Libra6Poe said:
Aliens
Alien

-I bought the quadrilogy for my boyfriend for Christmas... and I'm just now watching it. I'm on Alien3 and so far I think the 2nd one is the best. But I love how gothic the first one is. HR Giger is brilliant!
I also got the quadrilogy (horrible word) set recently and have been watching it religiously... I love those movies. The last 2 aren't quite up to the first 2, but still good. I don't think there's any movie franchise which has done this well for this long without really repeating itself; all four movies have their own distinct look, feel and idea, yet they fit together nicely. The tons of extra material on the DVDs doesn't hurt either. Interesting to note that almost all the special effects on the series predates computer effects, yet looks much more believable than most CGI...

I love those movies. The last 2 aren't quite up to the first 2, but still good

I enjoyed them all, although my favorite out of the series is Aliens. I thought Sigourney Weaver was great in that movie, not to mention the special effects and alien designs.

I used to own the alien boxset and lordy was it ever detailed! It's only 20 pound on the net too <3

Transamerica - I enjoyed it but the whole transexual aspect just didn't sit well with me. It felt as if it was attached to it after the core of the script had been written and then tweaked to suit it. Hoffmans(that's her name right?) seemed to give a good performance as far as emotions are concerned blah blah.

The Ringer - The movie was a below average comedy which seemed to rip a south park episode. It bored me if i were not so comfortable in my seat i'd have got up and left. The audience reaction was kinda errr wtf at times they'd laugh at the sight of a handicapped person but whatever

Alien Autopsy - story built around that fox alien authopsy from years ago and various mishaps such as the original footage being destroyed and new footage being faked. Great idea just dreadfully unfunny :(

The Panic In Needle Park.

gritty drama about two heroin junkies in New York's Needle Park in the 1970s. much more realistic than Requiem For A Dream or Trainspotting. I recommend it.

8/10.

Back