• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

*SPOILER* - Flight Plan

I saw Jodie Foster in Flight Plan. I'm ashamed to say, at the end, I jumped up and yelled, "in your face, flight crew!!" Then I felt like Homer Simpson and quietly regained my seat.:rolleyes:

Was 8 below decent?

I wanted to bash my face in at the whole idea of it

pft bring back homeward bound!

Ms. said:
Was 8 below decent?

I wanted to bash my face in at the whole idea of it

pft bring back homeward bound!
It depends what you mean by decent :D The acting was terrible for the majority of it but at least the dogs were good :p

What didn't you like about the idea? It was based on a true story.

Ice said:
It depends what you mean by decent :D The acting was terrible for the majority of it but at least the dogs were good :p

What didn't you like about the idea? It was based on a true story.

It’s an idea I thought was safely kept in my childhood movies and while watching the trailer for it only half believed it was about the dogs. I also find the idea to be on the bad side of absurd ;), expensive antarctic operation and he wants to return to save a few dogs. I hate myself for saying that because I realise children’s movies are different and have read idiot reviews using adult criteria. It just bugs me! I'm petty i know

Yes, to be honest I would say it is a kids film (however I knew that when I went - it's a Disney movie after all ;) )

Ms. said:
I also find the idea to be on the bad side of absurd ;), expensive antarctic operation and he wants to return to save a few dogs.
I don't quite follow - this is actually a true story. They didn't finance another expedition in RL but they did return to find out what happened to the dogs and found two of them alive.

C.R.A.ZY - A story about a man who comes to terms with his sexuality from his every childhood to his early twenties set 1960 - 80. I had expected this to be a sub par Cameron Crowe type film and was disappointed to learn it was in french (ugh subtitles). The film was excellent with brilliant performances and characters especially those of the Gervais and Zac. Gervais is loveable and caring even though he refuses to believe the signs of his sons’ homosexuality, being uncomfortable with the notion. Zac character is endearing because he is an average person. It had a great soundtrack of patsy cline, Bowie and 70's songs and was nearly perfectly paced even at two hours I never lost interest. The movie avoided cliches only occasionally loosing it's pacing when it veered into annoying symbolism that felt disparate to the plot. My expectations of the productions values were low but it kept it's own with american films. An excellent movie that was hilarious and touching.

Finally got around to watching Oldboy yesterday. Loved it to bits. This is the kind of movie Tarantino would make if he hadn't been responsible for half of Colombia's GDP the last 10 years. Very violent, obviously, but also beautifully executed (pun intended) and with heaps of existentialist subtext. Not for the faint of heart - apart from the violence, there's also scenes of live squid being eaten not to mention the crux of the plot which can be hard to stomach (and which I won't reveal here) - but if you liked "A Clockwork Orange", for instance, it's definitely something you need to check out.

A room for romeo brass - A flawed but wonderful film directed by Shane Meadows,12 year old Romeo and Knocks are befriended by a strange 20 something Morell. It charts their friendship through Morells attempts to date Romeo's sister but takes a sinister uncomfortable turn as he becomes obsessed with the sister and controlling of the boys. It's hilarious in parts but continously flicks back from being serious to humour which left me confused as to how i should take the movie. The acting from the two children and Paddy Considine(oh i do love him!) is brillant with just the direction/script falling down. There is a scene involving a hammer and man on his knees that unnerved me. :D

I found the constant gardener to be a constant bore (you wish I’d refrain from posting right now don't you!). The politics seemed to hinder the plot with it slowing down for elaboration and never succeeding in keeping a pace that a thriller needs to be effective. It also never engendered a caring for the situations resolution (again politics to blame); I compared it in my head afterwards to the Bourne franchise. Those movies had great pacing, characters and I was genuinely engrossed in them. Constant Gardener felt like a political exercise which I usually detest in literature/film and even at that I felt the politics were entirely incorrect. Reviews of 4 and 5 stars were undeserved imo, can someone explain to me what I’m supposedly missing?

Casanova. Can't say it deserved the R rating, but it's what the director wanted. In any case it's an enjoyable movie if you're not expecting a stuffy, high-brow costume drama.

Slither - Overall i found it enjoyable but nothing great,it took long to get the story set up along with scenes at the beginning being too long. The movie suceeded in creeping me out (maggots people!) and having enough decent one liners to make me laugh. I'm glad to see Nathan Fillion getting some work

On Saturday, the wife and I went to a theater to see Silent Hill and I did NOT like it. It was impossible to follow.

On Monday I watched Deathdream on DVD and liked it. It wasn't a classic, but it had a lot of substance to the story. I feel horror films work best when they work some sort of social commentary into the story, and this one was at its heart about a family in turmoil.

I watched Breakfast On Pluto for the second time. I love that movie. Cillian Murphy does such a good job as Kitten Braden. During whatever hardship life throws at him, he takes them and bounces back.

Flight Plan MADE NO SENSE. Okay, maybe I'm way too fussy, but the entire plot and everything everyone did MADE NO SENSE. Jodie Foster ought to know better.

Ah but it's always nice to have good production values but yes it did become bizzare towards the end.

novella said:
Flight Plan MADE NO SENSE. Okay, maybe I'm way too fussy, but the entire plot and everything everyone did MADE NO SENSE. Jodie Foster ought to know better.

Nah, she did right. What a satisfying explosion. I kept trying to make sense of it, but since that wasn't happening, I just went with it because I like her. Even after the fourth or fifth time she "broke away."

Back