• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

I went and saw Hostage with Bruce Willis in the theater on Friday. It was really good!! It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time...but I do like Bruce Willis movies also.

Saw The Spy Who Came in From the Cold last night, with Richard Burton, based on the eponymous book by John Le Carre.

That movie, in hindsight, shows a lot of prototypical narrative devices that turn up in many later movies and detective shows. And it has such a melancholy feel and a very tight screenplay. I love it.

Even if you made it now, it would be cheap, hardly any sets, loads of inside shots, no big tricks, maybe 10 actors with lines. Movies like that make me wonder why movie-making has become such a bloated mess. It's never just about telling a good story any more. :(

Novella, if you like movies like that, check out '12 Angry Men' with Henry Fonda, the only set is a small room, but the acting just carries the whole thing away and the film is superb, as are all the actors. Its old and in black-and-white, so everything that normally gets me off on a bad foot with a movie, but I loved it.

Phil

Sure, I know 12 Angry Men! I've seen it quite a few times. In fact my son is reading that in class and I want to get the movie after he's done with the book. The only thing I don't really go for in that movie is that is feels like a stage play, but the acting and tension and writing are wonderful.

Ta phil.

Last seen: Mystic River, Milion dollar baby, Sideways, Closer, Finding Neverland. All of them are fabulous :D

I saw Ring 2 on Monday. It was OK, but not as good as the first. That's to be expected! I actually like the American Ring movies better than the Japanese originals. I like the visuals and pace of the American ones better. Wow, the American movies are better. It's the end of the world as we know it :D

I'm not a fan of the Japanese originals either - too slow for me.

That said, the American versions of Ring 1 & 2 are rather bad, too. Naomi Watts is fantastic in everything she does, though.

Cheers

i've only seen naomi watts in i heart huckabees and well, i have no impression of her really. is there anything else that really stands out for her that i should see her in. i hear about her ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

At last look through Constantine ...
When I glaced it i had a perception, that something similar wrote Lukianenko already ... His book "Night watch" ... describe minutely .. about withstanding of two forces ... white and dark powers ...
I liked it very much ...
This summer film went on screens ...
I didn't like it ... Our new one - Turkish Gambit from same company much better ...

P.S. 20th centure fox signed contract with Lukianenko on making film ...
It should be released in cinema soon in Europe and West ...
Here Night watch's trailer .. if some one interested:
http://video.dozorfilm.ru/nd_tr_01.asf

i've seen lots of movies recently, but one that hasn't been mentioned here is Saw. it was a bit crappy, but some parts did scare me so at least it did it's job. it was morbidly interesting. my husband figured out the surprise at the end early in the movie. i really didn't like the way the movie ended, it pissed me off.

Jenem said:
i've seen lots of movies recently, but one that hasn't been mentioned here is Saw. it was a bit crappy, but some parts did scare me so at least it did it's job. it was morbidly interesting. my husband figured out the surprise at the end early in the movie. i really didn't like the way the movie ended, it pissed me off.

oooh i really hated that movie. how were any of those people connected? and the end.....but i agree some really creepy scenes ie the parking lot with the side veiw mirror :eek:

we watched sideways last night. highly enjoyable film. i really enjoyed virginia marsden(sp?) and the two male leads as well. made me wish i knew more about wine. and was surprised about his relationship with his ex wife.

The last movie I saw was "The Time of the Wolf" (Le Temps du loup) by Mikael Haneke.

It wasn't bad but for being Haneke it was too sweet and had somewhat stereotypical characters in my opinion.

I'd recommend seeing Haneke's "Benny's Video" and "Funny Games" instead.

"The Return" (Vozvrashcheniye) by Andrei Zvyagintsev. It's about two young brothers that go on a trip with their father that has been absent for 12 years and he tries to teach them tough love.

It has plenty of eye candy and it turned out to be much better than than the impression I got from the trailer.

Just got back from seeing the new Amityville Horror. I thought it was better than the first. I love all horror movies though so I'm easily impressed :p

Back