• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Well put. Yeah, my boyfriend, his sister, and I saw it in the theater. And I had never felt so uncomfortable before. It was the first time ever that I actually thought about walking out. And not because it was bad... but just because I was so uncomfortable.

I couldn't imagine watching it in theaters, although I'm sure I would have found it amusing to hear everyone going "AH! OH!" That might have taken away a bit. I watched it at a friend's house (which, on the inside, looks like a creepy old ski lodge) during perfect scary movie weather. It was crazy!
-------
Just watched To Kill A Mockingbird. I'd read the book, but never seen the movie. It was VERY good.

El Orfanato :star5:
Fantastic film with no cheap thrills. I can't believe that Hollywood wants to do a remake (actually, it's not really surprising :rolleyes:) - this film is perfect the way it is. Does every movie need to be in English for Americans to watch & enjoy?

I agree,I loved this film the way it is.It's a movie you don't forget.

I don't know if you have seen it but,does it remind you of The Others?
I really liked The Others as well! Yeah, after watching it, I thought about all those haunted house type films. Nice, subtle haunting. Nothing horribly violent, but it just really plays with you.

^Exacly!

Saw Yes Man last night. I like Jim Carrey and it was a funny movie,and if he made a horror movie he would be excellent in it.

Pan's Labyrinth,The Others,and The Orphanage are amongst my favourite movies,well,in my top 100 any way! I really fancy Let The Right One In too,a Swedish 'vampire' movie. It's out on DVD in the U.S,but not in the U.K. It's on general cinema release,but there's no chance of it coming to our local cinema-it's not High School Musical or James Bond!

Heavy Metal (1981)
I watched this last night for the first time. It was interesting, liked the music of course... but I don't think I really liked the movie at all. I started to fall asleep towards the last two stories (which apparently are the best part of the film).

Starting Out in the Evening with Frank Langella. :star5:

I'd just read the book [by Brian Morton], thoroughly enjoyed both book and film.

Had a 24-hour movie marathon with a bunch of friends yesterday and today. We got through 13 movies:

The Thing (1982) 4/5
Still one of Carpenter's best shockers. Of course, being a remake of The Thing made after the Thing-inspired Alien makes it look like an Alien ripoff (and it probably is), but there are certainly worse sources of inspiration.

My Fair Lady (1964) 4/5
Saw a bunch of little details I hadn't noticed before. Also became even more convinced that if there's a love story in this, it's between Higgins and Pickering.

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995) 4/5
Truly disgusting movie. Hated that I loved it.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eight Dimension (1984) 3/5
I have no idea if this is an incoherent mess of a movie or if the Pynchon references are supposed to indicate that it's actually smarter and more complex than it looks. Whatever the case, it's a lot of fun.

St. Trinian's (2007) 2/5
Like a British Bring It On amped up to 11. Really not a very good movie, but there were a bunch of us and we were drunk and we laughed a lot with rather than at it so what can I say, it worked.

The Princess Bride (1984) 5/5
When I get tired of the Princess Bride, shoot me.

Hoodwinked (2005) 3/5
Surprisingly effective Tarantino-style retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, giving us all four characters' versions. Cheaply but nicely animated.

Red Dawn (1984) 1/5
Ultra-reactionary piece of flag-wavery that makes Top Gun look like Battleship Potemkin both in terms of ideology and film-making. But certainly good for a laugh or ten for lines like "Well, when you grow up... then you'll know these things, Danny. Now get up here and piss in the radiator" and the continuing conundrum of "why the hell are the Russians, Cubans and Nicaraguans so hell-bent on defending a small town in the Rockies, and how can they suck so badly at it if they took LA within a few hours?"

Simple Men (1992) 3/5
I keep meaning to get into Hal Hartley, and I keep finding his films pleasant and occasionally brilliant but also far too artificial and theatrical for their own good. Great soundtrack as always, though.

Mirrormask (2005) 3/5
"Hi, I'm Neil Gaiman. Here's what my mind looks like." AAAAAAAAH!

The Last Shark (1981) 0/5
A scene-by-scene ripoff of Jaws that somehow manages to make every scene stink. Quite an accomplishment, and definitely a So Bad It's Good movie. Just check out this scene, for instance. YouTube - Last shark Hilariously bad. "This was no floating chainsaw!"

The Man Without A Past (2002) 4/5
Probably the best Kaurismäki film I've seen in recent years. A both bleak and warm Prince Mushkin-style story about a man who, after being beaten within an inch of his life, loses his memory and tries to survive as a homeless man in Helsinki.

Six-String Samurai (1998 ) 3/5
Imagine a mix of Desperado, Crossroads and Stephen King's The Dark Tower with katanas and Gretsch guitars. Now imagine it being actually really entertaining.

Back