• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Robin Hood (2010)

Well, that was 2 1/2 hours wasted. Not that Scott's last few (read: last 20 years) movies have impressed me that much, but I honestly thought he'd be able to at least do something with the Robin Hood myth. Not necessarily anything fantastic, but just... something.

Instead, what we get is essentially Gladiator II, with Russel Crowe playing a "Robin Longstride" utterly devoid of emotion (except for that one scene where he roars in slow-motion, which had me cracking up so much I thought I'd never stop laughing), motivation, character depth or any sort of ideas that are not nicked wholesale from Braveheart. And Braveheart, as we all know, sucked. The story has very little to do with either of the many versions of Robin Hood - like many recent action movies (Batman Begins, Iron Man, etc) the whole thing feels like a prequel to the actual story, but I can't imagine anyone trying to turn this into a franchise - which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, myths are there to be re-told, but Scott barely tells us anything at all we haven't already seen in a hundred historical action movies. This is just a cookie-cutter film with the names "Robin", "Marion" and "John" randomly attached to the Hero, the Love Interest, and the Villain. Surely if you market something as "the real story behind the legend", the story has to at least have some similarity to the legend?

There are a few things that work. Blanchett and von Sydow (not the first time he's played a crusader knight with something to do before he dies, of course) have great chemistry, probably partly because they have very little dialogue in their scenes and so get to act rather than just spout clichés about FREEDOM and the evils of the French. There's a typical Robin Hood caper stuck in the middle (and looking very out of place) that's amusing. There are some nice battle scenes which feel relatively more realistic than most films... OK, so the French army gets chopped to bits in 30 seconds by a ragtag bunch of Englishmen who just rode from Barnsdale to Dover in 20 minutes, but the French were obviously tired from rowing some very modern-looking landing crafts all the way across the channel.

Every generation gets its Robin Hood. The myth is very flexible, and adapts to any zeitgeist. But damnit, you have to at least try. :star2:-

Spartacus
It's fun to go back and watch Spartacus after seeing Rome and Caligula and Spartacus: Blood And Sand and I, Claudius and everything else that followed it. And discover that despite some Old Hollywood unfortunalities, the voice-over at the beginning, the self-congratulatory pre-Braveheart talk of FREEEDOOOOM etc, it still holds up damn well even if you can tell that Kubrick didn't have creative control. :star4:

Kick-Ass
High school kid is disappointed in humanity for not doing anything to help each other and improve the world. So he dresses up in a wet suit and a mask and becomes the superhero Kick-Ass, who fights crime alongside the Batman lookalike Big Daddy and his very violent and foul-mouthed 10-year-old daughter Hit Girl. The end result could have been either incredibly disturbing or incredibly stupid, but balances well enough to end up somewhere in the middle as just... well, fun comic book violence action comedy. But Defendor was better. :star3:

I was wondering why the sequel to The Fast And The Furious 3 wasn't The Fast And The Furious 4 but just Fast And Furious.

Turns out, the producers can't really count to more than 3. As proven by the fact that the four lead actors get whittled down to three within about 30 seconds.

:star1:

I was wondering why the sequel to The Fast And The Furious 3 wasn't The Fast And The Furious 4 but just Fast And Furious.

Turns out, the producers can't really count to more than 3. As proven by the fact that the four lead actors get whittled down to three within about 30 seconds.

:star1:

:eek: SPOILER!

:p

A Serious Man. Loved it, the Coen brothers are brilliant.
How did you like it in comparison to the other Coen movies? It wasn't my favorite...:sad:

---

Saw Predators this morning. And I f'ing loved it. Adrien Brody kicks so much ass. I'm glad they chose him for this.
:star4:

Rob Zombie's Halloween II. Okay, so I'm glad Zombie tried to make a Halloween movie his own way. Unfortunately it was full of heavy-handed symbolism and poor dialogue. Don't get me wrong; I think Zombie is a talented director. He just needs someone else to write his scripts :D.

I want to see this.
You totally should. I was like, damn, that's the pianist. He's surprisingly perfect for the role. He does this voice thing like Christian Bale-Batman style.
Anamnesis said:
Rob Zombie's Halloween II. Okay, so I'm glad Zombie tried to make a Halloween movie his own way. Unfortunately it was full of heavy-handed symbolism and poor dialogue. Don't get me wrong; I think Zombie is a talented director. He just needs someone else to write his scripts
I really want to see this. I've heard not so awesome things about it like this, but it's still something to check out, right?

You totally should. I was like, damn, that's the pianist. He's surprisingly perfect for the role. He does this voice thing like Christian Bale-Batman style.
Nothing says badass like Adrien Brody and Topher Grace!

Halloween 2 was ok. It was even better after I heard Zombie in an interview talk about how hard it was making it with super rushed shooting schedule and how he would never work with the Weinstein's again. He said the only reason that he did it was because they were going to go ahead with a direct sequel without him.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ~ very good murder mystery, with 2 great protags, I can see why the books are so popular. :star4:

The Killer Inside Me ~ filled with graphic sex and violence, this adaptation of Jim Thompson's 50's noir book(i've got his biography around here somewhere I need to read again) is over the top and a bit underwhelming at the same time. Probably the only movie where you will see Jessica Alba get her faced punched in till it looks like bloody hamburger. :star3:

That's what I was thinkin'. Was Sheri Moon cute in it?

Well . . . she wasn't ugly. Her character had a Plain Jane look in the flashbacks and some really weird makeup in Michael's dream sequences. I have issues with the dream sequences but since I liked Sheri Moon's acting in H1 I'm glad her character was brought back.

I need to see the Dragon Tattoo movie. I read the book earlier in the summer and enjoyed it. Fair warning: the beginning is very slow. But after the first 100 pages you'll be hooked. At least I was.

How did you like it in comparison to the other Coen movies? It wasn't my favorite...:sad:

Well, ever since I saw Match Point and couldn't tell for the life of me if I liked it or not, I try very hard to enjoy a movie without thinking too much about the director(s)'s previous work. I thought it was funnier than Burn After Reading, which I thought fell a little bit flat.

Well, ever since I saw Match Point and couldn't tell for the life of me if I liked it or not, I try very hard to enjoy a movie without thinking too much about the director(s)'s previous work. I thought it was funnier than Burn After Reading, which I thought fell a little bit flat.

You're right, it's best not to compare and go in fresh and seeing it for itself. But either I read this in a review or someone had told me that it was better than [insert awesome Coen title here]. So I went in already comparing.

Over the weekend I watched . . .

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Maybe it's because I had low expectations, but I really liked this movie. It had the same atmosphere as the other Indy movies.

At Close Range. Watch this for Christopher Walken's performance alone.

Stop-Loss. I appreciated what the filmmakers were trying to do, but it didn't work for me.

Back