• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Crime And Punishment - the 1935 version with Peter Lorre as Raskolnikov. Surprisingly good; cutting an 800-page novel down to 80 minutes means getting rid of a lot of the stuff that makes it a great story, but they keep enough of the moral confusion and the sparring between Raskolnikov and the inspector (Edward Arnold) to make it feel like they actually wanted to do right by Dostoevsky. (The DVD cover seemed to promise a colourised version, but it was in glorious black & white.) :star3:

Speaking of black & white, I also watched Metropolis, the 2010 restoration, which is supposed to be 98-or-so-% complete, making it a full half hour longer than any other cut that's been available since the late 20s. And yes, it's an improvement on what was already an excellent film - sure, the "new" material is in bad shape and doesn't look nearly as sharp as the rest of the film (which looks incredible), but there are several previously missing subplots, revealing character moments, thematic expansions and just... y'know, more Metropolis. Should be on the Christmas list for anyone interested in movies. :star5:

I tried watching an old Godard movie, decided it sucked, and instead I re-watched Beavis And Butthead Do America. It was cool. :star3:

Huh huh huh. You said "long."
:lol::lol::lol:

Did you like the show? I was in 5th(?) grade when it came out and I just never liked it. But for whatever reason, I really liked the movie and found it f'ing hilarious.
I see you have braces. I have braces too.

I'm a big fan, actually. Or was. I got the 10-dvd set a while back, and... yeah, it's very uneven and repetitive, but, like, when it's cool, it's, you know, cool.

Mega Piranha is about a school of giant piranhas attacking the US (because if you're a fish, clearly the first thing on your mind once you've grown to a certain size is to launch a terrorist attack on the United States). It's also one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's not like I was expecting it to be good, but at least I expected it to be fun. But it goes right past So Bad It's Hilarious into So Bad It's Depressing; between the shit acting, the shit plot, the shit script, the shit CGI (oh god), the shit editing etc, it's one of those films where absolutely NOBODY on the entire set even tried to do a passable job. Plus, for a movie about mega piranhas, it seems to think that the worst threat to America is the Venezuelan army. Which consists of five guys with silly mustaches in a helicopter. Zero stars.

Survival of the Dead is the latest instalment in George A Romero's zombie saga that started in 1968 with Night Of The Living Dead, and quite frankly I'm sort of hoping it's the last. Taking off from a scene in Diary of the Dead, Survival follows a group of soldiers making their way to an island where they can supposedly just get rid of the zombies and live in safety... except obviously, you can't outrun death and then you start discussing what the ethical thing to do is. Romero was never subtle in his social satire, but at this point that's really all that remains, since the moral dilemma isn't very well done and the aesop "stop fighting each other and face the real problem" is ridiculously overdone by the end. There is a very nice Romeroesque twist near the end, some nice splatter (even if it's mostly CGI by now, I miss Tom Savini) and some nice character interaction, but overall a fairly dull movie. :star2:

Survival of the Dead is the latest instalment in George A Romero's zombie saga that started in 1968 with Night Of The Living Dead, and quite frankly I'm sort of hoping it's the last. Taking off from a scene in Diary of the Dead, Survival follows a group of soldiers making their way to an island where they can supposedly just get rid of the zombies and live in safety... except obviously, you can't outrun death and then you start discussing what the ethical thing to do is. Romero was never subtle in his social satire, but at this point that's really all that remains, since the moral dilemma isn't very well done and the aesop "stop fighting each other and face the real problem" is ridiculously overdone by the end. There is a very nice Romeroesque twist near the end, some nice splatter (even if it's mostly CGI by now, I miss Tom Savini) and some nice character interaction, but overall a fairly dull movie.
Got this one coming this week from netflix.

I also watched The Losers over the weekend and have to say it was average. The character development was lacking and trying to be funny action movie which didn't work. :star3:

Back