• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Tron Legacy. You know, it wasn't bad. It wasn't good, but it wasn't bad. I mean, it's a sequel to Tron (and I love that it's a proper sequel 30 years on, not a remake), so adjust your expectations accordingly and keep a lookout for in-jokes, of which there are plenty.
FLYNN: The only winning move is not to play!
OK, so I was a bit disappointed at how much more high-tech they made it look (the original used cotton leotards and frisbees, this one uses latex and holograms), the supposed lead is wooden and dull, some of the backstory could have used a little more fleshing out, and Jesus Christ (by which I mean Jeff Bridges) could they cut down on the messianic overtones just a tiny bit? But hey, it really is Tron 2. I'm already looking forward to the Rifftrax of this one. :star2: +

Devil ~ 5 people trapped in an elevator and one of them is the devil. A common occurrence. :star2:

Salt ~ Angelina is so skinny that it looks like she couldn't lift a gun much less do everything she does in this. Nevertheless, this was a lot better than I thought it would be. :star3:

Alpha and Omega. It was okay.
Despicable Me. A lot of fun, and the minions just make the movie, of course!
RocknRolla. I never get tired of this movie.

First, a couple of recent attempts at classic genre settings from this side of the Atlantic:

La Horde is a zombie film set in a French suburb. Not entirely dissimilar to [Rec] (which is excellent and everyone should watch it), but there are no innocents here, as the survivors who have to work together to survive are a group of corrupt cops, a gang of drug dealers, and a half-crazy Vietnam vet (and if you know when France pulled out of Vietnam, you know that he's not exactly a young man). Plays nicely off the various social problems in immigrant-heavy areas, and adds some quite convincing ultraviolence... well-made, recommended to zombie buffs, but perhaps not unmissable.

Cargo. German sci-fi that places itself somewhere between Serenity, Solyaris and 2001. It's the year 2270 and Earth is supposedly uninhabitable. Humanity survives on space stations and the news of a newly discovered paradise that's just like Earth was back in the good old days. So our heroine hires on board a cargo ship to earn her passage there, but something seems to be lurking in the hold... Some really interesting ideas, even if it relies a little too much on unconvincing CGI to set the scenes (which is a pity, as you can see it wants to look really good) and stupid secondary characters to provide plot twists. Excellent performance by the lead character, though.

Then I watched a couple of old Val Lewton movies, because everyone should do that.

The Leopard Man and The Ghost Ship (both 1943) are quite similar, even though one is set in a New Mexico desert town plagued by an escaped leopard (maybe) and another on a coastal ship off California whose captain may or may not be losing his mind. As always with Lewton, you get some amazing black-and-white cinematography (The Leopard Man obviously tries many of the same tricks that worked in Cat People, mostly successfully), a genuine empathy for the secondary characters (often women and minorities - "the poor are poor together"), and the idea that the worst monsters might be inside us. OK, so The Leopard Man suffers from some really creaky plotting, and neither movie comes close to masterpieces like Cat People or The Body Snatcher, but damnit, I like them.

Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Undead.

If you think it sounds almost like Hamlet with vampires, you'd be 100% correct. A young slacker in modern-day New York is hired to direct a production of Hamlet in which Horatio is a vampire; problem is that the actor playing Horatio is one too. And if that wasn't bad enough, there's an ancient secret society trying to get hold of the holy grail who are mixed up in it too somehow... I'm not sure if it's trying to poke fun at the trend of mixing zombies and vampires with every classic work or if it's just, y',know, mixing zombies and vampires with a classic work, but it's fun, with plenty of little in-jokes for the Shakespeare fans. Hardly the most subversive take ever on Hamlet, and in fact I've seen productions of the real thing that got more laughs, but come on folks; it's got Ralph Macchio as a vampire-slaying gangster. Maybe. Split the difference between Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead and Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter and this is roughly what you get. Now, if Devon Aoki could just act... :star3:

The American ~ loved this glacier paced hit man flick. Great Italian scenery too and I'm not just talking about Violante Placido. :star4:

True Grit. Fucking excellent. And I quite like the 1969 version, but even though they mostly stuck to the same story and even the same dialogue, the Coens come up with something far more subtle, grim and ultimately real. Not the best they've done in recent years, but much like in No Country For Old Men, they take someone else's story, stay true to it, and still somehow make it their own. And Hailee Steinfeld is incredible, the second-best teenage western heroine I've seen this year after Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. :star5:

Also saw the 1966 adaptation of Hamsun's Hunger. Wants to be a little better than it really is - it's especially the cinematography and very primitive effects that let it down - but Per Oscarsson (who some will know from the Millennium films, and who tragically died a few weeks ago) is simply blistering in the lead role. A pity his international career never took off. :star4:

Color of Night. I felt like I was watching three different movies edited together. Only the serial killer story approached the "good" status.

Dinner for Schumucks - Not very funny. I found it more annoying than funny. 4/10

Takers - a ripoff Ocean's 11 and several heist movie. Nothing new and T.I is a horrible actor. There are some scenes that add nothing to the movie and I can't stand movie like that. 4/10

Back