• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

The Bridge ~ a fascinating and disturbing documentary about people who commit suicide by leaping from the Golden Gate Bridge. Over the span of one year the cameras capture people leaping to their deaths and some that attempt to but are stopped by other people or the bridge patrol. There are also interviews with the jumpers friends and family and an interview with one guy who jumped and survived.

Disturbia.

Silly title for a silly movie. You'd think Hitchcock's Rear Window would be ripe for an update in today's society of surveillance and Internet, but it would have to be done by someone who hasn't watched quite as many Kevin Williamson movies. A few decently suspenseful scenes can't really help a movie with annoying teenage leads, plot holes big enough to hide a body in, and the moral: You can never be too paranoid, you can never have too little right to privacy, and hot girls just LOVE it when you spy on them. 2/5.

Saw the latest Harry Potter. It was okay. I didn't think there was a whole lot to it in comparison with the other ones. Not my favorite. 3.5 out of 5.

I rented The Black Dahlia, a movie that had very little to do with The Black Dahlia. Instead it was mostly about the personal lives of two Los Angeles cops and a bunch of other pointless things. The acting is awful, which is surprising when you consider who's in this movie: Scarlett Johannsen, Aaron Eckhart, and Hilary Swank. Oh yeah, Josh Hartnett's in this as well . . . but come on.

*waits for someone to say how much they dislike Johannsen, Eckhart, and Swank*

The last movie I saw was Transformers... lots of EFX but I though the story was not that good... and some parts were simply dumb/chaotic.

(Anamnesis, I have to confess that I hate Scarlett Johanssen with all my strenght. She is as lively as a wooden stick)

Dharma

Ingmar Bergman died today (RIP) so the Swedish Television showed Wild Strawberries (fitting choice). Hadn't seen it in maybe 10-15 years, and let's just say it doesn't get LESS poignant the more one sees of life... it's remarkable how a movie can be set in something as non-threatening as a Swedish summer forest, have a constant tone of nostalgia (even more so 50 years on, since it depicts a society which is for all intents and purposes gone) and still be so.... unsettling. Brilliant little psychological character/family drama.

Bergman was retired and he was almost 90, but still... it feels a bit empty. That's another icon gone.

Prairie Home Companion on HBO. I had been told it was not good but I liked it. I was very surprised at what a good singer Meryl Streep is. I ordered the soundtrack after watching the movie.

I watched The Order of the Phoenix on opening night. It was my favorite HP movie yet. Its odd, it was my least favorite book, but my favorite movie.

Just got to see Inland Empire. And if you thought David Lynch was weird before, you should probably stay clear of this one; but if you, like me, love trying to figure out what's happening and being hypnotized by the imagery at the same time, go for it. I have no idea what it's about, but it's one of the most mind-boggling dreams I've had in some time. Plus, Laura Dern is amazing.

300. The battle-scenes were fantastic, as were many of the film's technical aspects. Aside from King Leonidas, however, none of the characters were really worth caring about.

Knocked Up. Fairly funny, which surprised me considering how awful I thought the movie was going to be. The story can become far-fetched and cutesy but it's entertaining.

The Gold Rush

The Gold Rush - Charlie Chaplin via DVD. When you see how he moves, for example in the scenes where he is blown into and through the cabin, you realize what a great dancer he could have been. The plot is hokey and obvious, but the film is wonderful.

The DVD included some interviews about how the film was made. First they went to the Sierra Nevadas in the winter to film the outdoor scenes, especially the one where the miners are struggling up through the pass. It was just too difficult to continue with the snow and the wind to they went back to the studio and built the mining town, using lots of flour and cement.

Last seen movie

Hi,

The last movie i saw was The Hitcher. Absolutely loved it. (I'm into all the HORROR flicks).
Absolutely loved the SAW Series. THose boys are just totally awesome. And considering that they are Australian, i feel proud.
I also loved Fear Dot.com, Stir of Echos, Hostel & Rest Stop (Raw Feed).
When i was younger, the first Scream movie scared the crap out of me, (I thought this could definately happen) but now that i'm older it's good to laugh at them.
Most of the Horror movies out now, arent that scary, they give me a good laugh. That's how i know it's a good scary movie.
I love blood and gore.
Have seen all the new versions of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre - what a load of crap!!! The Original will always be the best!
Probably the sickest movie i have seen is House of 1000 Corpses. LOVED IT!!!

Regards
CARY

After watching almost no movies in October, I'm finally back on track and have watched The Magnificent Seven (1960), Dom za vešanje (1988) and Sink the Bismarck! (1960) so far.

I just can't seem to get enough of Emir Kusturica.

Me and some friends had a "Bring a movie the others haven't seen" festival this weekend, with some absolutely terriffic results.

The American Astronaut (2001).

"I've never understood this joke. But then, I've never been to Earth."

I can honestly say I'd never heard of this before - and that I came away a complete fan. A low-budget (VERY low) sci-fi musical comedy that looks like a cross between John Carpenter's Dark Star and David Lynch's Eraserhead - with as little regard for straight storytelling, just one weird black and white rock'n'roll headtrip. 5/5.

D.E.B.S. (2004).

"Love is harder than crime."

And speaking of no regard for straight storytelling, here's a lesbian action comedy! Sorry. D.E.B.S. is a send-up of Charlie's Angels type movies that's so light-hearted and fun it barely touches ground. Pure sugar rush; hardly something that's worth thinking too deeply about, and the less said about some of the acting the better, but... seriously, it's just so willfully cute and over the top that I'm pretty sure we would all have laughed just as hard even if we hadn't been fairly pickled at this point. Plus, great soundtrack, and anything that lets me look at Jordana Brewster for 90 minutes gets my seal of approval. 3/5.

Crumb (1994).

"When I - what was it - about five or six? - I was sexually attracted to Bugs Bunny."

The scariest thing to realize about Robert Crumb isn't that his comics - misogyny and all - are almost completely autobiographical, but that he's actually the most normal member of his family. Terry Zwigoff's documentary on Crumb is occasionally hilarious, occasionally very insightful both on Crumb himself and the nature of art, and often deeply unsettling. Plus, it becomes very obvious how much Zwigoff based Steve Buscemi's character in Ghost World on Crumb. 4/5.

The Book of Life (1998).

"Are you really the Devil?"
"Yes."
"Would you like some soup?"

It's New Year's Eve 1999, and Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene comes to New York to open the last seals of the book of life (which is now digitalized and runs on Mac OS) and bring about Armageddon. There they stumble across Satan, who is desperately trying to get a hold of a few more souls before the jig's up, and eventually Jesus and Satan both come to agree on one point: they really don't want the world to end - Jesus, after all, wants to forgive people, and Satan is having way too much fun and profit exploiting our weaknesses. If this sounds like a stupid plot, think again; this is actually a really thoughtworthy meditation - albeit one with some peculiar humour - on humanity's good and bad sides. 4/5.

Harold and Maude (1971).

"Dreyfus once wrote from Devil's Island that he would see the most glorious birds. Many years later in Brittany he realized they had only been seagulls... For me they will always be glorious birds."

Yes, I'd somehow managed to not see this before. And my life has been the poorer for it; an absolute masterpiece. Young suicidal man becomes friends with an old and eccentric woman - similar stories have been told before, but this is just marvellously done. So much humour, intelligence and humanity, with an ending that made me tear up completely. Loved it to bits. It's sad, really; while films like this still get made, back in 1971 they were made for the general public and got wide releases. 5/5.

Hard Ticket to Hawaii (1987).

"If brains were birdshit, you'd have a clean cage!"

This was our hangover movie; the tagline "Bombs, bullets and babes" seemed apt. And oh dear lord were we not disappointed. This is a Z-grade 80s action movie starring four Playboy bunnies as federal agents hunting down a dope smuggling ring while trying to not get eaten by a giant snake that's been contaminated with the blood of cancer-infested rats. Seriously, I'm not kidding. It's one of the dumbest fucking movies I've ever seen - even the guys at MST3K would have been speechless. Everything blows up when you shoot it, the snake comes equipped with its own internal fireworks, and there's no situation so dangerous you can't take a break to take off all your clothes. There's one scene where they shoot an inflatable rubber lovedoll with a bazooka, and that's one of the scenes that makes sense. Check out this trailer. Absolutely goddamn awful; I haven't laughed this much in years. 0/5.

Harold and Maude (1971).

"Dreyfus once wrote from Devil's Island that he would see the most glorious birds. Many years later in Brittany he realized they had only been seagulls... For me they will always be glorious birds."

Yes, I'd somehow managed to not see this before. And my life has been the poorer for it; an absolute masterpiece. Young suicidal man becomes friends with an old and eccentric woman - similar stories have been told before, but this is just marvellously done. So much humour, intelligence and humanity, with an ending that made me tear up completely. Loved it to bits. It's sad, really; while films like this still get made, back in 1971 they were made for the general public and got wide releases. 5/5.

Hard Ticket to Hawaii (1987).

"If brains were birdshit, you'd have a clean cage!"

This was our hangover movie; the tagline "Bombs, bullets and babes" seemed apt. And oh dear lord were we not disappointed. This is a Z-grade 80s action movie starring four Playboy bunnies as federal agents hunting down a dope smuggling ring while trying to not get eaten by a giant snake that's been contaminated with the blood of cancer-infested rats. Seriously, I'm not kidding. It's one of the dumbest fucking movies I've ever seen - even the guys at MST3K would have been speechless. Everything blows up when you shoot it, the snake comes equipped with its own internal fireworks, and there's no situation so dangerous you can't take a break to take off all your clothes. There's one scene where they shoot an inflatable rubber lovedoll with a bazooka, and that's one of the scenes that makes sense. Check out this trailer. Absolutely goddamn awful; I haven't laughed this much in years. 0/5.
Completely agree about Harold and Maude, one of the best movies ever made. If you haven't seen any other Hal Ashby movies, you're missing out. Probably my favorite director of the 70's. The Last Detail is my other fave by him, Nicholson has never been better.

You probably didn't realize that Hard Ticket to Hawaii is a sequel and you're life is not complete until you see Malibu Express. A true masterpiece of late nite 80's cable. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it will become a part of you.:D

Back