• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Legolas over-rated?

Yah, so very true.

Stewart- HOW COULD THE BOOKS BORE YOU? I found them much better then the movies, especially the entire Lothlorien Part.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
Stewart- HOW COULD THE BOOKS BORE YOU?

Hmmm, hobbits, elves, dwarves, orcs, Tom Bombadil, wizards, all those songs and poems, etc.

And Tolkien wasn't the best of writers anyway.

Halo said:
Yes!! I've thought that for a while, but I just never dared say it. There's probably a lot of history which shows exactly why he isn't a lousy wizard, but certainly on watching the film I tended to think "You're a wizard! Just do something wizardly and smite the bad guys!"

:D If you are interested in reading Tolkiens other works (namely the Unfinished tales) it shows that he is actually one of the wisest Maiar (spirits) He refrained from using his power to persuade people to listen to him as it was forbidden.

Stewart said:
Hmmm, hobbits, elves, dwarves, orcs, Tom Bombadil, wizards, all those songs and poems, etc.

And Tolkien wasn't the best of writers anyway.

I agree the Tom bit was a bit horrible, and that no, Tolkien wasn't the best of writers. The skill may have lacked in his writing a small bit (very small) but the Storylines and the ideas he came up with were EXCELLENT!

Stewart said:
I tried reading the books - was one chapter away from finishing The Fellowship of the Ring before getting absolutely bored with all the crap. Tom bloody Bombadil? :confused:

Anyway, the only thing I have to go on is the story set out by the films. Within them I thought that the roles of Legolas and Gimli could have been cut from the story completely - they did nothing to further the plot throughout all three films.

The only reason I can see their inclusion was, at times, for comedic moments and the love thy neighbour theme which, rather than be subtle, they just shouted out at the end.

Na, crap. Bin him.
I totally disagree. I believe that Gimli and Legolas were there for something more. Sure, Bloom overdid the part by many times. Did you see in the second movie in the beginning when he just turned and posed for the camera? I was cracking up. But as characters go, opposed to actors, I think that Gimli's and Legolas's signfigance was very important to the movies. Legolas, in Fellowship was just a messenger for his father, Thranduil, King of the Elves in northern Mirkwood. I think his father was too lazy to show up himself at the council so he sent his own son as a messenger. Gimli, was, i believe, Gloins son but i could be wrong correct me if I am...and he was just a tag along as well, but Gimli and Legolas's part in the fellowship become clear through reading all the books. without them, do you really think everyone could have survived? Think of the mines of Moria, and the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, I dont believe they would have survived without Legolas and Gimli. Plus, both chracters provid history in the books. I am not quite so sure that Olando bloom managed to partray Legolas quite the way that J.R.R Tolkien would have wanted. I do however believe Gimli was perfect. The perfect dwarf who seems to be taller than everyone else in the film in real life.lol:)..But I do believe that They are important supporting characters.

and Pirates made me sad...It could've been so much better. Johnny Depp saved it though. What a pirate. Made me wanna grap a sword and steal a ship.....
lol...of course i wouldnt DO any such thing:)

and another thing. how could THE BOOKS BORE YOU????ARE YOU CRAZY???I was staying up 'till sunrise until I had finished each Book...it took 4 days. Wow those books are amazing.

Actually, i was pretty upset that they didn't put tom in the movie. True it was a bit horrible....damn singing!!!! but he was quite the funny character, and he ment well.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
Stewart- HOW COULD THE BOOKS BORE YOU? I found them much better then the movies, especially the entire Lothlorien Part.
I'm not a fan either. I finished the Fellowship of the Ring, but really couldn't be bothered to read the rest. Too much work and too little fun.

AereonWarrior said:
Actually, i was pretty upset that they didn't put tom in the movie. True it was a bit horrible....damn singing!!!! but he was quite the funny character, and he ment well.

Is LOTR suppose to be funny? No. And I found Tom quite boring too...

Just finished watching the movies (extended versions), and while I'm not sure that I would call Legolas overrated, I did realize how fricking annoying it would be to have an elf around all the time. I mean, just by their presence, it's like, I'm better looking than you, I'm always perfectly groomed, my clothes never look messed up even tho they're all made of silk, I can see better, hear better, I am clarivoyant, and way better educated than you. Oh, and I'm immortal. It's enough to make you want to tie their perfect hair into knots while they sleep, if, in fact, they do actually sleep.

Legolas? Heah, he's overrated. But so is Frodo... Who really wants to read about a hairy nine-year-old?

But I like Legolas's bow, though that's the only reason I like him.

In fact, I like his bow so much that I actually start to miss the bow when not playing the LotR games.... So I'm playing Maximo, and think 'Why doesn't he have a bow?' and two minutes later, I'm playing LotR, blasting away with my bow. :eek: I'm such a freak...

Nosferatu Man said:
Lies is the point. Aren't you, Lies?

I thought Orlando was ok at being an elf (although he did piss me off a bit), but when I watched Pirates of the Caribbean, he was just about exactly the same character but in a different costume. Pretty goddam disappointing. :mad:

Those two characters are really similar the way that Orlando portrays them, but if you see Elizabethtown you see a whole different Orlando. He's not as strong of an actor as Johnny Depp so in Pirates, he is shadowed and maybe thats why he came off as the same. I think he's a good actor (he doesn't look so bad either)

I disagreed with Bloom as en elf for once reason. He's too young to have the 'presence' of a 3000 year old elf. You may argue that no human can ever have that, but I think Hugo Weaving did a pretty fine job of Elrond, he had the presence, the charisma that made me believe that this dude was 7000 years old, and Bloom simply didn't have that, so in the movie Legolas never appeared to be an elf in my eyes. Aragorn was clearly older of mind than Legolas, so heh... I cannot object to Bloom's looks (though he's deifnitely not my type) they fit the part well, but not the rest of him, sadly.

Back