• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Like a Rock!

Peder

Like a rock from outer space, I fell into "Someone tell me this" down in General Chat and out of great curiosity read through that. Undaunted, and with great hope, I tried another one, this time about freeing Bobbyburns, and now have finally bounced into here. But I think it all started when I skidded naked into Time Travelers Wife, from another forum across the sea, just like her husband the time traveler.

All in all, it sounds like it would have been better if I had observed the amenities and started here first! :)

I'm here because I read books, simply that, but all sorts. My own professional training is in technology and has nothing to do with literature, so I am strictly an amateur in any of the forums here and I participate on that basis alone.

And now, after putting on some clothes, I'm going to make my way across the room, open that door on the far side, and try to slip out into the normal forum landscape without tripping and making a big splash.

See you there,
Peder

hey there welcome to the forum, i believe you already got hold of the pop corn, so take a beer from the frezzer and grab a chair and tell us, what kind of literature are you into.
also feel free to let us know what do you think about those discussions you mentioned before, a fresh point of view is always welcome

Glad to see you posting over here Peder. Judging from the title, I couldn't help but hear the Joe Cocker song(and see the chevrolet commercial) in my head. :D

Welcome Peder. Enjoy this thread whilst you can, it's only a matter of time before Stewart and Martin start argueing in here too.

Thanks everyone for the kind hellos.
But if there is one thing that other forums have taught me, it is to go slow with offering opinions. I have the scars to prove it. I'll simply say the discussions I have seen sound normal, in both their intensity and their divisiveness :) , and I can easily live within the variety I have seen. Nothing has sounded outrageous or offends me so far. And the popcorn is very nice. :)
As for my own interests I tend to read whatever catches my eye when I browse the bookstore, or what I hear about one way or another. I've recently read Lolita, Gilead, Cloud Atlas and Maximum City for fiction.

For non-fiction it has been Vera, Collapse, Power to the People, Water, Island in the Middle of the World and half a dozen books on why Hitler was able to rise to power. Plus I am mono-manic on fact and fiction spy/detective stories for escape reading. I have read all of leCarre, both McDonalds (Ross and John D.) and have recently completed a recent Henning Mankell, The Fifth Woman.

For a real break from the routine I pick up the occasional book of poetry: A.R. Ammons, Walt Whitman, Dylan Thomas, Sylvia Plath and now Ezra Pound. Plus any number of partly-finished, too numerous to categorize, that surround my desk.
You asked, Mr Michel. I answered. It sound likes quite a few when they are all listed But taken one at a time, over time, they are not so many.

The message is that I think I have come to the right place! :)
Thank you again,
Peder

Peder said:
But I think it all started when I skidded naked into Time Travelers Wife, from another forum across the sea, just like her husband the time traveler.
I knew one day I'd have an impact on somebody's life. Welcome!

lies said:
I knew one day I'd have an impact on somebody's life. Welcome!
Yes, lies,
It was very nice to see your Time Travelers forum, for a book I had just finished, as I was slithering around this huge place trying to find a place for a fingerhold. It was a way to get my feet planted and find out how it worked here and, without a doubt, you made the difference!
You weren't seeing the future were you? :)
Peder

Hi Peder and welcome! How is your name pronounced? Is it like 'Peter' with a d, or is it pronounced Pe-der ryming (sort of) with 'better'.

Peder said:
Robert,
Hotter than Beantown, cooler than DC.
Which is not saying much :)
Charles
I'm sure it's better than the bland mid range weather here in Scotland where the summers are mostly grey and overcast and the winters are mostly.....erm.....grey and overcast. :)

Back