• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mature Discussion Forum

Motokid

I would like to suggest making the MDF viewable to all.

I've seen nothing to date posted there that couldn't/shouldn't be available to all members. There were much more "heated" conversations a few years back when there was no such forum.

Can the MDF be made viewable to all? Members and non-members alike?

Perhaps make it so only those with permission can post, but all can read?

I really don't think there's a reason to keep it under lock-and-key.
It might get more action if it was open to all?

Anybody else have opinions on that?

To be honest, I quite agree. I don't see who it's protecting. But I'm not the one who can make it possible.

Of course it's up to Darren, but I think there'd be more traffic/discussion if the thread was opened up. I haven't seen anything posted so far my teens couldn't handle, and I think the guidelines for the entire forum cover most sins that might be made in this thread.

To be honest, I quite agree. I don't see who it's protecting. But I'm not the one who can make it possible.

Have you been caught lying a lot recently Stewart?

Or is it just a shock for you to agree with me on something? ;)

Didn't Darren explain that on this thread ?

The question I asked is based on what the forum has been used for, and is being used for to date....which is basically nothing that couldn't easily sit in the General Chat forum as I see it.

It's just a question/suggestion. ;)

I see nothing happening in the MDF that couldn't/shouldn't be open to all.

At the very least I think it should be viewable to all. Non-members too.

I also realized that the discussion is slow and not that active in the Mature Forum and I didn't like that. So, maybe change the title to religion, philosophy and politics ?

Is it invisible to anyone under eighteen, then? 'Cos, I joined the forum when I was seventeen. I'm eighteen now, but I can't see any mature-esque area. Either I'm blind, or it's still invisible to me--and you've all just piqued my curiousity.

There's no age restriction, unless Darren has put one in and I don't know about it. There's an application system but I just let anyone who wants to take part in. Of course, should they abuse it then I can remove the privilege.

There's no age restriction, unless Darren has put one in and I don't know about it.

I don't think he did. I don't remember it being mentioned.

I honestly don't see the importance of allowing non-members/all members to view it. Maybe some people don't want to see that area. Granted, there isn't anything really controversial being discussed there, but maybe there will be someday. I think anyone that interested in discussing there is able to do so. As Stewart mentioned, it isn't exactly a lengthy application process.

I honestly don't see the importance of allowing non-members/all members to view it. Maybe some people don't want to see that area. Granted, there isn't anything really controversial being discussed there, but maybe there will be someday. I think anyone that interested in discussing there is able to do so. As Stewart mentioned, it isn't exactly a lengthy application process.

Here's a perfect reason why it's could be important:

Is it invisible to anyone under eighteen, then? 'Cos, I joined the forum when I was seventeen. I'm eighteen now, but I can't see any mature-esque area. Either I'm blind, or it's still invisible to me--and you've all just piqued my curiousity.

One of our/your own active members has had no idea the forum even existed until I posted something about it.

The Mature Discussion Forum is not visible to all for the legal reasons Darren spoke of in the thread I posted earlier.

I would suggest that if it is possible, Darren could make the Mature Discussions header visible to BAR members on the Forum's main page with a link showing how to sign into that discussion group.

I would suggest that if it is possible, Darren could make the Mature Discussions header visible to BAR members on the Forum's main page with a link showing how to sign into that discussion group.
Probably the best idea.

That's certainly a good idea Occlith, but I really have to question the legal reasons.

We can discuss any book here we wish. The Rainbow Party is not off limits to discuss, nor is any of the books Lenny posts about. Don't we have a thread on The Vagina Monologues?

The blogs, if I'm not mistaken, are completely open for just about any kind of entry regardless of content, and they are 100% viewable to non-members.

There are numerous posts in the Writers section with the 18 stamp on them, yet those are 100% visable to all inluding non-members.

The forum has an age restriction of 13 as the minimum, but that's something that's completely left up to the member to fake, or tell the truth on.

And this is the internet. I doubt anybody searching for "illegal" material would even consider seeking it out in a book forum when google, youtube, and myspace can curl your toes for hours on end.

Most of the issues are religious and/or political, which to me, seems silly to restrict from the viewing of anybody, least of all people who are supposed to be readers.

Darren said the forum is not going to be a place for X Rated anything.....so why treat it like that to begin with?

Back