• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Memory Lane! We've come so far, lets see your 1st computer............

RobertFKennedy

Here's the 1st one I ever owned myself. Look at the state of it! :D

I had been playing on my pal's Spectrum 48k up to that point. :)

acomputermuseum.50megs.com_images_collection_atari_20130_20XE.jpg

hmm my first computer was a machintosh.. i dunno the exact title.. it cost around $3500.. ahh piece of crap =P small monitor.. the color distorted quickly.. the sound screwed up tons of times but i think that was my dads arrogant doing.. just.. not worth the money

This is my first from about 81/82, the Video Genie. It was about the size of Brazil.
awww.heydon.org_kevan_collection_pictures_eaca_eg3003_large.jpg
A year or two later I got a BBC B; yes kids, a BBC computer! As long as I live I'll never own another computer that I'll love one percent as much is this beauty.
awww.hansotten.com_himages_bbcb.jpg
I've still got them both at my mum house. Whenever I go back I alway play my old games on the BBC.

I don't have a picture of it, but it was a Mac Performa 6115 (eegads, I hated it, but hubby insisted....He's in the Graphic Arts Biz)

I had a Laser 128, which was an Apple IIc clone. It was so exciting because we had the oregon trail in color when all of my friends had it in black and "white". This isn't a picture of mine, but rather a stock image:
Laser_128.jpg

LOL-You folks are old!. :D I remember that my elementary school had the Apple IIe. We would go to the library and create a program that would allow a turtle(the green cursor) to make a square. In looking back, it's amazing to think about how out of date those things are now-kind of makes you wonder what the point is in having kids do the same thing these days.

SFG75 said:
LOL-You folks are old!
Ahem??

I started taking computer classes when I was in first grade. We didn't even have a computer in our house, but my mom knew it would be something I'd eventually need to understand. I'm glad I did. Including all those silly programs we wrote in elementary school. The first "real programming" I did was turbo pascal in high school. It's not much now, but I'm glad I learned it as it has given me a basis in computer logic and made it easier for me to understand VB, SQL and other things I dabbled in later on.

mehastings said:
Ahem??

I started taking computer classes when I was in first grade. We didn't even have a computer in our house, but my mom knew it would be something I'd eventually need to understand. I'm glad I did. Including all those silly programs we wrote in elementary school. The first "real programming" I did was turbo pascal in high school. It's not much now, but I'm glad I learned it as it has given me a basis in computer logic and made it easier for me to understand VB, SQL and other things I dabbled in later on.

O.k.......just remembered that I'm five years older than you. :eek: :eek:

Old, I'll give you old. The first computers I ever programmed: my old science teachers ZX80 & ZX81, complete with 1K memory. He used to bring them in to school for us to play on the new invention 'home computers'.
TCMR-V14-P09.jpg

I still have mine, although the monitor hasn't worked since I shoved a musical keyboard adapter into a random port. :(

I still have mine somewhere too, and it works. At least it worked last time i tested it for old times sake. I have a lovely green monitor. :)

Thanks for the pics, Kenny Shovel. These were the first things I ever messed with. fabulous! :)

Kenny Shovel said:
Old, I'll give you old. The first computers I ever programmed: my old science teachers ZX80 & ZX81, complete with 1K memory. He used to bring them in to school for us to play on the new invention 'home computers'.
TCMR-V14-P09.jpg

That was my first computer too! In fact, I still have it here somewhere :)

I'm sure you old farts remember this one...

awww.commodore.ca_products_c64_prototype_images_1_20c64_prototype.jpg
Compared to today's standards, they were overpriced pieces of crap, but I sure did learn a lot on it...

I wonder what these college kids who think they are so great with computers would do without a GUI?

I rememer writing batch file menu programs:

"Press 1 for Word Processor"
"Press 2 for Data Base"

etc...

awww.gifford.co.uk__coredump_atari400.jpg

Atari 400 complete with the tape recorder / disk drive. I'm not sure I could do more than draw lines, type some homework and play games on it, but it felt big time in the day.

Back