• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Newbie with a first book!

AA Institute

Hello everyone,

As a brand new published author with my first book, thought I'd take a few brave steps and introduce myself to everyone here...

I have written a science fiction novel set inside a giant world ship (self-contained, with houses, rivers, forests, lakes, shopping centers, cinemas, eating out places, etc...) on an immensely long, adventurous journey through space.

It's actually quite a big dream come true for me to get published so soon. I only started the project about this time last year. Anyway, enough wbout me and my book... I'd like to hear from everyone else here about their favourite books and what they most look for in a fictional novel.
:)

Thanx,
AA

Hi AA. I like lots of different things in a book, but the most important thing is good writing and good editing. I won't read a book if I find more than one spelling/grammar mistake in the first chapter. It means it was poorly edited and the problem usually continues.

What kinds of books do you like? What have you read recently?

Hi everyone,

It's nice to see so many like-minded people here who are all into literary magic... or the magic of the written word (... or something like that, anyway!).

I like books that are pacey and well-written, not too long in terms of number of pages, written on an engaging theme/story line that holds my interest page after page. I guess I'm quite choosy on what I will and will not read. I've read some sci-fi, fantasy and horror (Dean Koontz, Stephen King), but equally I like down to Earth stuff like poetry, romance and the like.

I am a budding author now, and I spend more time writing than reading, I guess.

:)

AA
------------------------------*-----------------------
http://www.publishedauthors.net/aa_spaceagent/
"The ultimate dream adventure awaiting humanity..."
------------------------------*-----------------------

AA Institute said:
It's nice to see so many like-minded people here who are all into literary magic...I've read some Dean Koontz, Stephen King...

Well, you made me laugh.

Welcome to the forum. I've seen you on other bookforums promoting your book and would like to point you to The Top Ten Self-promotion Mistakes. Remembering you from the British Fantasy Society, home of the inbred and inept, I thought I'd do a search to see how expansive your ill advised self-promotion method was, but, on reading the thread from Sciforums I had to stop as I was laughing too much and I couldn't keep my head still. Not through hilarity, mind, but through agreement.

Stewart said:
Well, you made me laugh.

Welcome to the forum. I've seen you on other bookforums promoting your book and would like to point you to The Top Ten Self-promotion Mistakes. Remembering you from the British Fantasy Society, home of the inbred and inept, I thought I'd do a search to see how expansive your ill advised self-promotion method was, but, on reading the thread from Sciforums I had to stop as I was laughing too much and I couldn't keep my head still. Not through hilarity, mind, but through agreement.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to say? I have a book out, and I'm new to the writing and literary game as a whole. I am exposing my new book (and myself as a new author) to as many forums as I possibly can... and at the same time learning what other people are reading and writing also. That's all I'm doing. Nothing more, nothing less... :)

I thought 'First Ark to Alpha Centauri' sounded quite good, its nice to hear from new writers.
I will keep an eye out for it, and loved the cover. :)
All the best with it.

Erica said:
I thought 'First Ark to Alpha Centauri' sounded quite good, its nice to hear from new writers.
I will keep an eye out for it, and loved the cover. :)
All the best with it.

Hello there,

Thanks for your message.
Well the book is now available to order I'm told, but some retailers are still yet to acquire their stock in the UK, shipping out from America. I hope you enjoy the book if you get a chance to read it...

Still Vicious

I am disappointed, but not surprised, that there are still some over bloated egos on this site, I haven’t checked the site in a couple of weeks but (again not surprised) that a few of you still need to pick on new comers in the forum. AA your book sounds engaging and I hope you are proud of yourself for getting published or publishing your book. I’m sure there are a lot of future authors or currently are authors on this site. In fact I would like to know some of the titles these authors have written and maybe (if they haven’t written a novel) what they have published and where. I would like to read it. And I would really like to read the stuff from the over blown egos that respond to these threads with so much jealousy and spite.

Oh and the written word is not concrete. Slang has always infiltrated the literary world, if you need convincing of that check out the entire “lost” generation or the “beatnik’s” or Salinger or Thoreau or Williams or (main stream) Le Carr, Grisham, and on and on and on.
My point being what some consider typos might just very well be ignorance or jealousy.

Good luck AA and piss off to the ignorant

Back