• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

O.J. Simpson's First "If I had Killed My Wife" Novel

Yet you'll be the first one to purchase a copy, and comprehend (if not all) the mind of a killer.

I definitely would.

What was the motivation. Why did he kill her. And how did manage he to escape.

Yet you'll be the first one to purchase a copy, and comprehend (if not all) the mind of a killer.

I definitely would.

What was the motivation. Why did he kill her. And how did manage he to escape.

ME? why on earth would you say that about me? i can promise you i can think of much better ways to spend my money!

i think i'll take my kids ice-skating instead - a memory they'll never forget - instead of giving $ to someone who needs to be forgotten.

First of all, no jury found him innocent. They found him not guilty without reasonable doubt. Being found innocent and or not guilty are two different things, in a court of law.

Secondly, it was the judge, not the jury, who gave the sentence. I believe.

Oh, I never said I think he's innocent..I believe he's guilty as homemade sin! Who cares what his motives were? There are plenty of other ways to spend my book money and reading time and OJ just doesn't merit a blip on my radar screen.

Remind me. Which of the Simpsons is he? I can't believe it's Carl. Carl's great...
news_189.jpg

It has nothing to do with supporting a murderer.
It has to do with curiosity.
The Hitler analogy was pretty good - I thought. I was thinking it myself, as a matter of fact. Of course the Nazi party benefits when we buy and read such books - the books propogate the ideology of the party.
I heard David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) has written a book. Chares Manson as well. You may refuse to read these books - I haven't read them myself, but not out of any moral outrage that they wrote them. We can all learn something by reading what deranged minds have to say.
QUOTE]

THANK YOU!

If you buy a book written by an author you support that author. If the author is a murderer you are supporting that murderer. Unless OJ is donating all proceeds from his book to a charity? Cancer Research? Find The Real Murderer(s) Fund? Yeah, thought so. Purchase of OJ's book supports OJ. A murderer.
If you buy a book you are primarily supporting your mind.
For some reason you think this is all about money.
Well, you also have the option to borrow a book from a library and make no purchase. Of course, then the library has supported the murderer, and you are supporting the library. What a dilemma!
Maybe you should be appointed as the Library Chief and make rulings on what books they should buy.
How do YOU know he's a murderer? He was acquitted. You have information that was not available at the trial? You said you didn't follow the case. Somewhere you picked up the idea. I guess you form opinions by just falling in line with everyone else. I'm frankly surprised, as I had pegged you for someone who is capable of independent thought.
Someone who might say something like, "Gee, I don't know. There's lots of evidence, but I wasn't there. There are some things that I just don't know.

Sure you can be curious about events but you should be curious intelligently. Are there no accounts of this crime in the true crime section of the bookstore? I don't know I haven't actually looked. A skill that used to be taught in university was to learn from trusted resources. Is that still taught?
Another skill they used to teach is to examine a theory, a book, or a concept, no matter what others may say about the source, and form your own conclusions about it.

No. The Hitler comparison is poor. The historical accounts of WWII I am thinking of don't shed the nicest light on Adolf or the Nazis. Nowhere in this conversation was it mentioned that we were talking about pro-nazi propaganda. Unless you contend Libre that the majority of WWII history books have a pro-nazi agenda? I don't, and wouldn't read any books propagated by the Nazi party. I also don't deny the right to publish them but freedom of speech should not be free of taste nor intelligence. Charles Manson has written a book, maybe even more than one, for some reason I think more than one, but will I pick up his book for insight into the Sharon Tate murders or Helter Skelter? Again, this goes back to getting your information from reliable sources.
And this goes back to making your own determination about the reliability of a source. Even if the source is unreliable, it can't hurt you to read it, as long as you keep your wits about you, aren't extremely naive or gullible, and have the intelligence to evaluate the validity of an argument before accepting or rejecting it.

We can learn what deranged minds have to say. Can we learn from sensationalized nonsense groomed for duping philistines from their money? No.
I've found that the most easily duped people are those that believe what they are told without examining it. For example, they may call a book "sensationalized nonsense" without actually reading even a part of it. It may be, but I couldn't say, just based on what others say. I'd have to read it and make my own determination.

EDIT:
I hasten to add, I have no particular interest in OJ, or his book.
I just like to keep an open mind about things. I don't repeat stuff I don't really know for myself, if I can help it.
Me, I think he's probably guilty of murder, but how would I know?

If there's one thing guaranteed to sell a book it's moral indignation and outrage that anyone should dare to read such a travesty.

Libre I sense you're arguing just to argue with me. You don't actually believe that there's anything worthwhile in OJ's book do you? While I don't disagree with you regarding research and the value of resources you can't honestly believe there's any value to this book.

By the way, the first few lines of your post are very poor. You should be embarrassed bringing that tripe to a debate. Come up with something good and I'll take the time to prove you wrong. ;) Or if you're right agree with you. Right now you're nowhere close.

Edit: Ahhh I missed the end of your post Libre, you ARE arguing with me just to argue with me. Richard Dawkins once went to a University debate. It was a debate over creationism versus evolutionary theory. Dawkins spoke to one of the of the pro-creationism debaters aside and asked plainly how she could debate such nonsense in the face of an immense wall of common sense and fact. She replied that she did not believe in any of the creationism fooey but found that viewpoint more difficult to defend thus testing her arguing skills. In the end Dawkins found her reasoning poorer for not believing in what she was arguing. Maybe that's what is happening to you?

By the way, the first few lines of your post are very poor. You should be embarrassed bringing that tripe to a debate.
Ions, I agree with you there, unequivocally.
However, before you wrote that, you should have taken note that the first few lines of my post were written by you.

No joke, I just caught you on a technicality. I'm very precise, you see.
For the life of me, though, I don't know what you find so unworthy or embarrassing in my post. Disagree with it if you want, but don't try to make me feel stupid, buck-o.

And another thing:
It may be that I sometimes take a position, because I object to the reasoning of the opposite position, more than I object to the opposite position itself.
If that's arguing for the sake of arguing, then yes, I do that.
But I could argue that either way.

By buying this book the worst things about our world are encouraged.

Yes, I would think anyone who's really interested in learning about domestic violence might check out the American Psychological Association website and their list of reference reading for starters. There's a lot of good work relating to the complexities of this issue, but Simpson, O.J. won't be listed as a contributor to anything worthwhile.

Boycott HarperCollins Books

Regan Publishing is a division of HarperCollins books.

They publish the OJ book. Plus some others. Many others

http://www.harpercollins.com/imprints/index.aspx?imprintid=518002 <-- click here

Perhaps it's best to make a stand. An economic stand to make a point about how pathetic this OJ Simpson book really is.

Not only would I suggest you don't by the OJ book, but I would suggest you don't buy any books from HarperCollins and/or Regan Publishing at all.

Maybe drop them an email as to why you are boycotting their products.

Check the publishers of the books you buy, and make a statement. A monetary statement about why you are angry about the OJ book.

Oh, grow up. They have every right to publish the books they want. Isn't that what you Americans call free speech? If you don't want a book by OJ then don't buy it - it will soon end up in bargain bins - but why boycott all their products?

A monetary statement about why you are angry about the OJ book.

Personally, I'm not angry about the book. Like the case (which I can't even remember much about, or why it was so sensational) I have no interest in it.

Oh, grow up. They have every right to publish the books they want. Isn't that what you Americans call free speech? If you don't want a book by OJ then don't buy it - it will soon end up in bargain bins - but why boycott all their products?

Personally, I'm not angry about the book. Like the case (which I can't even remember much about, or why it was so sensational) I have no interest in it.

I agree; no need to boycott all products by this company..just vote by not buying an offensive book. I like Border's stance on this issue:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=entertainment&id=4774094

I will not be reading this book. I'm sure he's only doing it for the money, as people will buy it out of curiosity. Even if he didn't kill his wife, it's a disgusting thing to do. Some people just have no shame.

Back