• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

October 2008 Book group suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My suggestions, in no particular order:

The Mirror by Lynn Freed
Ironweed by William Kennedy
Last Orders by Graham Swift
Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich

These happen to be in my collection and on my list of books to read. If I've exceeded my allotment, just lop off everything except for the first book listed. Thanks!

My suggestions:

Stick Figure by Lori Gottlieb - True story in diary form of a 13yo girl that developes annorexia
The Killing Hour by Lisa Gardner - Female officer investigates an eco killer
Million Little Pieces by James Frey Said to be the best true story of all times, about a drug addict

These are all great books :)

I like having books scheduled predictably. It would be good to decide on enough books to finish out the year, October through December.

Million Little Pieces by James Frey Said to be the best true story of all times, about a drug addict
This guy was on Opera and got wide advertisement on his book, only to be invited back months later and be confronted of his fabrication and lies.
A Million Little Pieces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

100% factual or not, with or without Oprah endorsement, it's still a pretty impressive book. Not nearly as impressive as Doctor Glas, of course (and that one's completely fictional, gasp, horror).

100% factual or not, with or without Oprah endorsement, it's still a pretty impressive book. Not nearly as impressive as Doctor Glas, of course (and that one's completely fictional, gasp, horror).

I have not read either of them, I just remembered the controversy around Million Little pieces and "the best true story of all times"
Thanks for the input.

I would offer any one of F. Scott Fitzgerald's three later novels:
  • The Beautiful and the Damned (1922)
  • The Great Gatsby (1925)
  • Tender is the Night (1934),
with my own personal preference being in reverse order to the publication order just given.

Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald's Save me the Waltz (1932), for the view from her side of their marriage, might be equally interesting.

Tender is the Night is a fine idea, Peder. I understand from Wikipedia that there are two versions available so we would probably want to ensure we got the original.

Tender is the Night is a fine idea, Peder. I understand from Wikipedia that there are two versions available so we would probably want to ensure we got the original.
Thanks Robert. I hope there is enough support for it in some month or other. I'll gladly look into the which are the versions, so we get the right one if/when the time comes for reading.

I'm in too(is it the one in south of France?) Dr glas we defenetly need a lady writer,Stranger on a train wood bring a great discussion(Highsmith).

with my own personal preference being in reverse order to the publication order just given.

Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald's Save me the Waltz (1932), for the view from her side of their marriage, might be equally interesting.
Yup, Any of the above would be good, I'd like to read Tender is the Night. Also Strangers on a Train by Highsmith has to be good if the Ripley books are any indication.

I would not mind Tender is the night.

Keep the suggestions coming.:)

I'd like to suggest something a bit newer.

"My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully. I personally wanted to read the book for quite some time and the paperback edition's going to be published in Aug. 2008.

Taken from the Amazon book description:
"At age 12, in 1960, Dully received a transorbital or ice pick lobotomy from Dr. Walter Freeman, who invented the procedure, making Dully an unfortunate statistic in medical history—the youngest of the more than 10,000 patients who Freeman lobotomized to cure their supposed mental illness. In this brutally honest memoir, Dully, writing with Fleming (The Ivory Coast), describes how he set out 40 years later to find out why he was lobotomized, since he did not exhibit any signs of mental instability at the time, and why, postoperation, he was bounced between various institutions and then slowly fell into a life of drug and alcohol abuse. His journey—first described in a National Public Radio feature in 2005—finds Dully discovering how deeply he was the victim of an unstable stepmother who systematically abused him and who then convinced his distant father that a lobotomy was the answer to Dully's acting out against her psychic torture. He also investigates the strange career of Freeman—who wasn't a licensed psychiatrist—including early acclaim by the New York Times and cross-country trips hawking the operation from his Lobotomobile. But what is truly stunning is Dully's description of how he gained strength and a sense of self-worth by understanding how both Freeman and his stepmother were victims of their own family tragedies, and how he managed to somehow forgive them for the wreckage they caused in his life."

-

I'll suggest everyone who might be interested to read on wikipedia about Dr. Freeman and his monstrous work.

Anonymous-A woman in Berlin A non-fiction.

beergood has a good review on it.

Belinda-Maria Edgeworth

I'd like to suggest something a bit newer.

"My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully. I personally wanted to read the book for quite some time and the paperback edition's going to be published in Aug. 2008.

I heard enough about this in one of my psychology classes. I'd have to bow out of reading this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back