• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

October 2010: Daphne du Maurier: Rebecca

Discussion is open.:)

I haven't got far with it,should get some reading done this weekend.

I've been searching the house because I'm sure I have a copy, and so far I've found Du Maurier's The Scapegoat, My Cousin Rachel and Don't Look Now: Selected Stories but no Rebecca.

I may have to hit the used bookstore and pick up a copy. Though what I should really do is get my books more organized!!!

I've been searching the house because I'm sure I have a copy, and so far I've found Du Maurier's The Scapegoat, My Cousin Rachel and Don't Look Now: Selected Stories but no Rebecca.

I may have to hit the used bookstore and pick up a copy. Though what I should really do is get my books more organized!!!

My Cousin Rachel is amazing.and yes,just the books though,lol

Yes, I love My Cousin Rachel.

And it'll be a miracle if I managed to just get my books organized. I do not follow the habits of highly effective people, I'm afraid. I'm more of the "I'll get to that tomorrow" type of a gal. :lol:

Yes, I love My Cousin Rachel.

And it'll be a miracle if I managed to just get my books organized. I do not follow the habits of highly effective people, I'm afraid. I'm more of the "I'll get to that tomorrow" type of a gal. :lol:
I'm like that too. There's always time to do it tomorrow, why do it today?

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." Mark Twain

If I were to get hit by the proverbial bus, I know I'd be disappointed that I hadn't watched a movie or TV show or read a book, but I really wouldn't care if I'd remembered to unload the dishwasher! :lol:

And getting back on topic...I will find a copy of Rebecca soon!

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." Mark Twain

If I were to get hit by the proverbial bus, I know I'd be disappointed that I hadn't watched a movie or TV show or read a book, but I really wouldn't care if I'd remembered to unload the dishwasher! :lol:
Precisely! :lol:

And getting back on topic...I will find a copy of Rebecca soon!
Good!

I should be picking up my copy today from the bookshop. I decided to buy it as I've read it before and I remember it as a good book.

Started last night but only a few pages in. I've read this before many years ago - I think I was a teenager??? Anyway, I love how gothic it is at the beginning. I've read others by her and my two favourites are My cousin Rachel and The house on the strand.

I .lasted until Chapter 13 before giving up. I could only tolerate the narrator's angst for so long :D. Not that I didn't understand her problems; the whole book just seemed like an account of her insecurities followed by questions about de Winter's first wife.

I .lasted until Chapter 13 before giving up. I could only tolerate the narrator's angst for so long :D. Not that I didn't understand her problems; the whole book just seemed like an account of her insecurities followed by questions about de Winter's first wife.

It becomes tiresome,but does'nt take away from her writing,I thought that she was slowly building up her insecurities on her own but you could see how the others around her are helping in some way.

Anamnesis,you have to give it another try,at least until the end on chapter 19.

Never saw it coming really.I felt as though the author took her time and put all her attention on the narrator's insecurities,shyness,constantly making up scenes of what Rebecca would do,Rebecca would say etc..that it took away the focus from the other characters.

There was this comment made by Ben that made me suspicious,and then by Frank,but even then my mind didn't go where the story went.

I'm about to start chapter 13. I know I've read Rebecca but I can't remember hardly any of this. I'm still enjoying it all though. I'm a big believer in you often make yourself feel the way you do and it's not others, and I think the protagonist is testament to that. Du Maurier writes in such short sentences too. Really I'm glad I can't remember how this book ends, it's going to be a surprise all over again. :)

I liked the way the two women were complete opposites and how du Mauriers personal life at the time had an affect on her writing it.

I almost wish I hadn't seen the film version of Rebecca so many times. All I can imagine is Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier and Judith Anderson as I'm reading. I even imagine a black cocker spaniel everytime Jasper is mentioned.

Back