• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Old Christmas Threads (gifts, well wishes, etc)

MonkeyCatcher said:
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :D

It's already Christmas Day here, so I guess a little rendition of na-na-na-na-na, na is in order :D :p

Merry Christmas already then. We've got a few hours to go yet.
Just got the two kids to bed and relaxing with some nice food and a few glasses of good red wine; bliss.
Merry Christmas where ever you are; best wishes for the new year.

Peace.:) :D

Christmas food

Let’s face it, this is the time of year when we eat all kinds of goodies and nobody, neither our conscience nor our gym teacher could make us feel guilty.:D But tell us what specific dishes do you eat for Chrisrmas in the different countries you come from? What traditional food are you enjoying right now?
And how do you keep your weight at acceptable levels? And what’s your favourite Christmas treat?
Mine is a special cake made with nuts and eggs and anything which is made of chocolate.
What about you?

lend me a bit of place to say...

Although hesitated for a while, yet ...

My special wishes for a friend (whom I thought I lost his contact forever...).

Merry Christmas and a happy new year, Jeremy. :)

Bobby, I wanted to wish you a happy Christmas too! Enjoy your holiday!

Take care you guys.

Chocolate for my "Special" friends on TBF at Christmas. :)
MC2layer.jpg

And I wish everyone on TBF a Merry Christmas.

My family celebrates Christmas on the 24th because although we're American we're of Quebecois heritage and very tradition based. We generally serve glazed ham, broccoli w/ cheese sauce, pineapple jello mold and delmonico potatos for Christmas dinner. I don't care for most holiday meals, so on Christmas my mother makes all the foods that I want. This year my fiance, my brother and I are all working so we're doing it on the 29th instead. We are having a pot luck dinner tonight at 11PM at work. I'm making a pasta cassarole and a chocolate cake that my co-workers love. Others are bringing in ham, mixed veggies, baked beans and a vegetarian curry dish.

As far as keeping weight off, I don't bother with it. I eat what I want and not worry about it. I guess I just don't eat enough junk to pack a ton of weight on at the holidays and I try to stay fairly active. Or, maybe I do gain and I just don't notice/care. :D

Our traditional dinner isn't on christmas day. We have ours on christmas eve. We have cheese and crackers. I love cheese and crackers. I also don't worry about weight, it never changes no matter what I eat. I just seem to have a fast metabolism.

When I was a young'un we always had a special Christmas Eve dinner at my grandparents. The table would be have straw on it , covered by a tablecloth, and the supper was by candlelight.

The meal would consist of cooked dry beans, dry peas, pierogis, wild mushrooms, sauerkraut, a flat Christmas bread.....and I can't remember what else, it was too long ago. There would be NO MEAT. Prior to the meal they would pass cloves of garlic around the table. At the end of the meal they would blow out the candles and see which way the smoke went.

The traditional English Christmas meal is: turkey, stuffing, bacon-wrapped chipolatas, cranberry sauce, sprouts, mashed potato, carrots, swede, honey-glazed parsnips and roast potatoes, plus gravy if wanted.

To follow would be Christmas pudding with brandy sauce or custard if preferred. Our meal was based on this, but we don't like cranberry sauce and don't bother with the chipolatas. People have what they like really, but I think the above is what's considered "traditional". And don't forget the crackers to pull!

For Christmas lunch our family has roast chicken, roast pork, roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, boiled potatoes, stuffing, peas, carrots, kumara, bean salad, potato salad and, of course, gravy. The adults have wine, while the children usually drink fizzy or sparkling grape juice. For dessert, we have pavlova, merangs (sp?), brandy snaps, fruit salad, ice cream, mousse, ambrosia and chocolate fondue.

I don't care about my weight on Christmas - it's Christmas for goodness sake! And my favourite Christmas food has to be pavlova, with whipped cream and fresh fruit on top. It's absolutely delicious! It's made mainly of whipped egg whites and sugar, and shaped like a cake. The outside layer is nice and crisp, while the inside is slightly lighter than marshmellows.

A picture here for those of you who have never seen one (I think it's mainly an Aussie and Kiwi dish):

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_pav.jpg

It's 3:23 a.m. and I just completed a drive from Omaha to NW Kansas. A good four hour trip which took place after a flight from Chicago to Omaha. I ahd a great time in the windy city with family and friends, life is good. Oh yeah.....

HAPPY HOLIDAYS:)

Christmas Presents

Books as Christmas presents are always a safe bet with me, i got twelve this year. What books did you all get and were there any pleasant or unpleasant surprises.
Most of what i wanted i got, by virtue of some subtle hints. The only surprise was Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake which for me was a pleasant surprise.

According to our old ways we will have Christmas on 7th of January. Or to very old ways - on 21st of January. So now we have to be fasting, really.
That's one of many answers on how we control our weight: we have much more fasting days then feasting days...

Hehehe, my sister bought me The Da Vinci Code, so I will now be able to read it and see if it is as bad as many say. :)

ok I was really bummed Christmas Eve night. We went to my parents house and had soup and opened presents. I had asked from my parents for a series of 3 books. Well what I got was a book that I had suggested to them for my daughter (Lemony Snicket #5). SO I got NO books:( but on Christmas night my SIL gave 2 books to read that she finished.:D

I got two books off my daughters which were
Lolita-Vladimir Nabokov which i have wanted to read for some time :D
Bloodstream-Tess Gerritsen :D

Billy said:
Hehehe, my sister bought me The Da Vinci Code, so I will now be able to read it and see if it is as bad as many say. :)

LOL-I read my brother in law's copy while on a visit in Chicago.;) I also felt motivated enough to buy Angels & Demons in the airport in order to get the full Dan Brown experience.

In regards to books-don't open the goodies until today. All I've gotten so far is awesome coffee.:cool:

Back