• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Olympics

Abulafia said:
Where did you get that absudity from?

I wonder what remark you would have made if you saw that posted by another member, Abu.

As for the Olympics, I think that most people get tired of seeing anyone win at anything, over and over again. It's refreshing to see the underdog come out on top, to hear the hardships that others have overcome that aren't usually covered by the media in the US, and to cheer for somone because of their abilities and not because of the land of their birth.

Believe it or not, that's what America is all about.

RaVeN

Abulafia said:
You are wrong. Where did you get that absudity from?

When I look at a map there is no Scotland as a COUNTRY, I beleive it has it's own parliment still though, but that doesn't make it a country more like a state.

Sapper41 said:
When I look at a map there is no Scotland as a COUNTRY, I beleive it has it's own parliment still though, but that doesn't make it a country more like a state.

That's another great thing about America. We hire the handicapped. :D

RaVeN

Freya obviously im not from England or anything, so actually i'm kinda confused, are england , scotland, wales, and NOrthern Ireland all countries, or are they all regions of the Country the United Knigdom. I'm afraid I am worng so please help me learn. :)

Scotland is definately a country I'm not too sure what maps you've been looking at but they're incorrect. In 1707, the Scottish and English parliaments merged to form the Kingdom of Great Britain, which then became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. However during this time, Scotland's legal system did remain separate and they only regained their own parliament in 1999. However, they have always been separate countries, as is Wales.

Hmm I read that also Ice, but I also read that even though they have there own parliment they are mostly governed by something Street, (cant remember the name sorry) and that leads me to feel that it is more of a state then it's own country. Also I dont think Atlas and stuff are wrong :(

Sapper41 said:
Freya obviously im not from England or anything, so actually i'm kinda confused, are england , scotland, wales, and NOrthern Ireland all countries, or are they all regions of the Country the United Knigdom. I'm afraid I am worng so please help me learn. :)

Yes they are all separate countries, the UK is not a country, it is a sovereignty.

Scotland

n : one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; located on the northern part of the island of Great Britain; famous for bagpipes and plaids and kilts.

Bagpipes, plaids and kilts :D

Thank you Ice That summed it up for me :) I was trying to find something that said that but couldn't find it :) I appreciate yours and Freyas way of helping me see where I was wrong. Unlike History Abu you to were very helpful :)

Strange, I can't find the bit on the interweb where it tells you how Lancashire is a country in its own right.

Back