• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Olympics

Ice said:
Actually that's Australasia ;)

I prefer to call it Oceania so that it includes Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Kiribati, American Samoa (they [the Americans]* probably didn't even know they had a Samoa :cool: ) and the remainder of Polynesia.

Regarding Scotland, I really worry about the non-European world and hope that, one day, it really pulls its head out of its thick arse.

Personally I'm not one of the people (Scots included) that has seen Braveheart and thought that that was the history of Scotland. Even though I hail (for want of a better word) from Scotland I will refuse to acknowledge it in a majority of contexts (equally: England, Wales, and Northern Ireland) as we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain. The country may be Scotland but we are all - including the "Irish" arseholes (excluding those actually from Ireland) - British.

* I'm loathe to call them Americans as they are simply (or simple) parts of two continents: North and South America. I have a U.S. Visa which expires next year (unused) - it's not an American Visa (although that's what it says) but a United States Visa. If it were an American Visa then I'd feel legally justified to go looking for a job in Guatemala....if I felt like it.

So, to cut out the shit, Sapper et al hire new teachers. :D

Lmao, I love it , the Americans got beat at basketball!!! I can't wait to hear Iverson and Lebron talk about how good they are after that! :D Duncan is the only one I feel bad for.

On the other hand congrats to Phelps and some of the other American men and women swimmers like Hanson who have done well in their events so far.

And Betini for the Road Race finish, along with Zabel even though he finished 4th, he consistently out sprints the peleton for almost a decade now.

Add to that a cheers to the South Africans winning their first swimming medal by breaking the 4 x 100 free world record! That's one way to get your first :)

Abulafia said:
I prefer to call it Oceania so that it includes Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Kiribati, American Samoa (they [the Americans]* probably didn't even know they had a Samoa ) and the remainder of Polynesia.
Ah ok, when I was a school we were taught that the continent was Australasia :)

Regarding Scotland, I really worry about the non-European world and hope that, one day, it really pulls its head out of its thick arse.
Well that’s not quite how I would have phrased it, but yes it is quite worrying.

Even though I hail (for want of a better word) from Scotland I will refuse to acknowledge it in a majority of contexts (equally: England, Wales, and Northern Ireland) as we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain. The country may be Scotland but we are all - including the "Irish" arseholes (excluding those actually from Ireland) - British.

Ok, this is where I will disagree - even though I do not like England as a whole, I will always say I’m English rather than British. To me British is a very loose term, much like my saying I am European as I come from a European country. I feel the term British is rather a mockery – nowadays anyone can apply for British citizenship (which will more often than not be granted no matter where they come from). To say that I was British would not automatically mean I was English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish.

Abulafia said:
The country may be Scotland but we are all - including the "Irish" arseholes (excluding those actually from Ireland) - British.

I seen Kilmarnock beaten by Celtic on Saturday ( :( ) - was still bearing the grudge. :D

Ice said:
To say that I was British would not automatically mean I was English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish.

I assume that your passport says English citizen then. ;)

Anyway, Olympics.

Yay for Holland for the Silver medal on the 4 x 100 free! They were in eight position when the third swimmer started!

Cheers

Yay, for Britain for obtaining a silver medal in a pointless event (synchronised diving!) - you proved us wrong. That's one more than we thought you'd get. :D

Abulafia said:
Yay, for Britain for obtaining a silver medal in a pointless event (synchronised diving!) - you proved us wrong. That's one more than we thought you'd get. :D

I told you the synchronised diving was worth watching.

I don't care about the olympics but I saw something slightly interesting while I attempted to zap away my boredom. Sweden had a competitor in professional boxing which is an illegal sport in Sweden and it was shown on public service television.

I watched some women's pingpong on Saturday morning, I love the way they yell 'Qiu!!' all intense when they get a point.

Abulafia said:
The same thing. There's no excuse.

Try this on for size, We're only human. And like it or not, that includes you.

As for the Olympics, I coudn't agree more with True's post. It was great seeing the U.S. men's basketball team get spanked. My friends and I are just as tired of the media hype as everyone else is.

The athletes that I'm most in awe of are the gymnists. Go Mo!!!

RaVeN

Yes I t was great to see them lose! My wife and I were talking about how professional player kinda take the Dream out of the Olympics. Anyone ever seen the movie Miracle?

cry001.gif
Damn, Fox-Pitt's had to withdraw from the eventing - he was our best chance for individual gold :(

Back