• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Olympics

RaVeN said:
As for the Olympics, I think that most people get tired of seeing anyone win at anything, over and over again. It's refreshing to see the underdog come out on top, to hear the hardships that others have overcome that aren't usually covered by the media in the US, and to cheer for somone because of their abilities and not because of the land of their birth.

Believe it or not, that's what America is all about.
RaVeN

*Nods head* Interesting to know something like this. :)

The olympics are so dull. I did not even see the starting show because its the same every year. I like winter olympics because then we austrians win all the time! ;)

The olympics are so dull. I did not even see the starting show because its the same every year. I like winter olympics because then we austrians win all the time!
Didn't know the Olympics is an annual event. ;)

And the Austrians don't win everything at the winter Olympics - the Dutch always win the ice-skating stuff!!

Cheers

Martin said:
Didn't know the Olympics is an annual event. ;)

And the Austrians don't win everything at the winter Olympics - the Dutch always win the ice-skating stuff!!

Cheers

Ahhh, but we pwnzed curling, and that is all that matters.

:rolleyes:

What is pwnzed?

Anyway, yay for Pieter van den Hoogenband for winning the most important swimming event, the 100m freestyle! He's only the third person, after Johnny Weissmuller (yes, Tarzan) and Aleksandr Popov, to win it twice in a row!

And yay for Leontien van Moorsel for also winning a gold medal!

Cheers

Slightly off topic, but then again, also slightly on topic - Google has a different Olympics-related logo every day. I only noticed this today, so I have no pictures of the previous days' logo's but here's today's:

aimg36.exs.cx_img36_8866_ScreenHunter_008.jpg

Coolness, no?

Cheers

yesterday's google pic was fencing, I think, and the day before was archers - one of the 'o's served as a target.

As for pwnzed/pwned/0wn3d, it means 'owned.' Which in this context means defeated or triumphed over.

Anyone else see the mens' shot put competition? I caught the tail-end when I believe it was Adam Nelson (USA) who kept fouling. He fell down once, and then on his final attempt got a lot of distance but fouled once again by stepping out of the circle. "Nooooo!! Noooooooooo!!!"

It was pretty sad, yet a little humorous.

Martin said:
Why on earth would pwnzed mean owned?

Or am I being thick here?

Cheers

It's leet speak. The 13 year old H4X0R kiddies used it to let you they 0\/\/Nz U.

Basically, the more incoherent and poorly spelled your sentence is, the more 133+, or elite you are.

It can be quite addictive, and the more you can substitute 5y/\/\8015 and nU/\/\83R5 for letters the better.

I've stuck with a water down version, as it can get a bit hard to follow even for native English speakers when they aren't used to it. But if you're prepared to dedicate some time to learning it, then I guarantee that everyone will PH34R UR /\/\4D SK1LLZ.

Yep, only nowadays leet/l33t/1337 is used more with ironic intent than anything, and is basically the single biggest gamer in-joke in existence. So there you go, consider yourself educated Martin.

Here we have the equation that forms such kiddies, brought to you by Penny Arcade.

Martin said:
I would if I knew what it meant.

It was 'cheers'

Your little sign off would be

(|-|33|25
/\/\4|2+1/\/

Of course other people have their own little styles and quirks.

so ( = C, |-| = h, 3 = E, |2 = R, 5 = s (though when talking of onez skillz one should always use a z, otherwise no one will phear you sufficiently)

/\/\ = M, 4 = A, + = t, 1 = i (but can also be used for L, see 133+), /\/ = N

But really, it's a free-style art form, so you can play around and find an alphabet that suits you.

Important phrases:
1 4/\/\ 133+ - I am leet
1 \/\/1LL H4X0R u - I will haxor you
PH34R /\/\7 /\/\4|) 5K1LLZ - Phear my mad skillz
U R T3H 5UX0R - You are the suxor. NB: 'The' must ALWAYS be spelt 'Teh'

Basic translation: I'm really fantastic. I will use my fantastic abilities to cause you untold problems with your computer. This will cause you to become rather wary of my incredible abilities. I do this because I believe that you are lacking in such skills and need to learn some respect for my prowess.

Litany said:
It was 'cheers'

Your little sign off would be

(|-|33|25
/\/\4|2+1/\/

Of course other people have their own little styles and quirks.

so ( = C, |-| = h, 3 = E, |2 = R, 5 = s (though when talking of onez skillz one should always use a z, otherwise no one will phear you sufficiently)

/\/\ = M, 4 = A, + = t, 1 = i (but can also be used for L, see 133+), /\/ = N

But really, it's a free-style art form, so you can play around and find an alphabet that suits you.

Important phrases:
1 4/\/\ 133+ - I am leet
1 \/\/1LL H4X0R u - I will haxor you
PH34R /\/\7 /\/\4|) 5K1LLZ - Phear my mad skillz
U R T3H 5UX0R - You are the suxor. NB: 'The' must ALWAYS be spelt 'Teh'

Basic translation: I'm really fantastic. I will use my fantastic abilities to cause you untold problems with your computer. This will cause you to become rather wary of my incredible abilities. I do this because I believe that you are lacking in such skills and need to learn some respect for my prowess.

hehe. wow, really interesting!.

have to admit that you have some strange, unique strings on your super-brain. :p

Have a nice day. :)

Because leet kiddies are usually so intent in getting their teh roxor (super fantastic) message across that they spell it wrong, and so it has now become the standard spelling.

Back