• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Only in America... :-D

Motokid said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,152317,00.html

I hope somebody in another country can tell me that crap like this happens outside America too, but something tells me I've put this in the right thread....

Well, if it makes you feel any better, there is a similar, but funnier British example....

go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_I_Got_News_For_You

and you will find the following "Have I Got News For You is a UK television panel game, on the subject of news, politics and current affairs."...."In 1998, a book based on the series (Have I Got 1997 For You) mentioned, in a diary entry about Conservative MP Rupert Allason, that "...given Mr Allason's fondness for pursuing libel actions, there are also excellent legal reasons for not referring to him as a conniving little shit." Mr Allason then persued a libel action against BBC Worldwide and Hat Trick Productions over the remark. He lost the case (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/49430.stm). Meaning that, as pointed out in a later episode of the show, he is the only person in the UK who can be called a "conniving little shit" without fear of being (successfully) sued for libel."

Oh, it's the second bit of that oil dude's statement that gets me:

"I had nothing against her as a person," oil company owner Craig Hale told the New York Times.

But standing up for one lesbian, he said, is a whisker away from supporting lesbian adoptions.

"My morals and the Bible doesn't allow that."

I'm not talking about his religious affiliations, but about the whole 'whisker away' thing. That's a bloody big whisker!!

What I don't get is that the woman was still fired. Despite the settlement of two years pay, she's still out of a job! What kind of message is that?? I don't think it's such a big victory at all given that she's now got to uproot and move to find new employment. That's still discriminatory, "Here's some cash, now will you leave?"

"This settlement agreement sends a powerful message that discrimination will not be tolerated,"

Good point, Kookamoor, it's a kind of hollow victory when she's still out of a job. They should have been forced to reinstate her, and given her compensation.

That sandwich is apocryphal, like the famous $1000 omelet at the Parker Meridien Hotel in NY, which has 10 oz of sevruga caviar, loads of lobster and 6 eggs. It exists only on the menu and in the imaginations of those who then wisely decide to order the "budget" version, the $100 omelet with one oz of caviar, a good deal of lobster, and two eggs.

Like the hotel says, it's not a gimmick, it's just not that popular. :)

i agree. many times after a workout i have trouble going down the stairs, especially if the instructor has been really sadistic and the workout was all squats and lunges. obviously it is to prevent lawsuits from people falling down the stairs.

What's being horny got to do with mid-life anything?

And what do my matchbox cars have to do with anything?

no no. i am not touching that with a ten foot pole. you 2 go off and be horny in some other thread. all i said was squats and lunges.

Back