• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Only in the UK

She docent even really do that. Her duties seem to involve hand waving and being "Queen" For a long time the popularity of the royal family has been on the decline as the older generation dies off. I can see a time, not to far in the future, when there won't be a royal family as we know it. Let's hope so :D

Is it possible there's more interest in the Royal Family in America than there is in England?

Maybe it's strictly from a voyeuristic viewpoint, but it seems they are in the news here quite a bit.

I suspected what you've all told me so far.

I'm actually in favour of the Monarchy - well more so than the idea of letting someone like Tony Blair take full control of the country! The money they actually receive from taxpayers is mostly to do with landowners subsidies - all her personal income is subjected to tax just like any other (only the law which prevents them from having to pay inheritance tax is different - and thats only from the current to the next monarch). I actually feel that the queen is a fairly good figurehead - shame the same cant be said for the rest of her family! I would be happy for Charles to abdicate and William to become next in line - its the only way we may actually be able to salvage the Monarchy without making a mockery of it all.

Motokid said:
Is it possible there's more interest in the Royal Family in America than there is in England?

Maybe it's strictly from a voyeuristic viewpoint, but it seems they are in the news here quite a bit.

I suspected what you've all told me so far.

I think you are right. I think there IS more interest in the US regarding the Royal family.

Ice said:
I'm actually in favour of the Monarchy - well more so than the idea of letting someone like Tony Blair take full control of the country! The money they actually receive from taxpayers is mostly to do with landowners subsidies - all her personal income is subjected to tax just like any other (only the law which prevents them from having to pay inheritance tax is different - and thats only from the current to the next monarch). I actually feel that the queen is a fairly good figurehead - shame the same cant be said for the rest of her family! I would be happy for Charles to abdicate and William to become next in line - its the only way we may actually be able to salvage the Monarchy without making a mockery of it all.

I'm very much against them for a few VERY good and simple reasons.

Firstly, we should be citizens and not "subjects" I want a democratic Constitution and be a citizen. Right now we don't have either thing. This is very bad for a modern democracy.

Secondly, NOBODY should hold a privileged position in life simply because they are born into a certain family. It's simply wrong.

Ice said:
(only the law which prevents them from having to pay inheritance tax is different).

This is a disgrace in itself. While ordinary people who have scrimped and saved to buy their own house have to pay it if they have assets over £260,000 (approx.), she is exempt though she has millions??!!??? Utterly disgusting. :mad: :mad: In fact, it wasn't too long ago that she started paying tax, was it?

The only exemption is for what she gives to the next in line - anything she gives to the rest of her family is subject to tax in the normal way (the queen started paying tax in 1993).

Personally I think inheritance tax should be abolished. You pay tax all through your working life and then have to pay it again when you die - it's a farce.

Ice said:
Personally I think inheritance tax should be abolished. You pay tax all through your working life and then have to pay it again when you die - it's a farce.

I completely agree with you - it's an absolute disgrace. :mad:

Farce!! Tragedy!! High Comedy!!

And thats just the Labour Government :D

I have no personal problem with the Monarchy to be honest, the Queen works far harder than a woman her age should have to. Of course, you have to feel sorry for her about the bunch of lazy louts she's managed to spawn, but the Old Dear herself is a top girl :)

Phil

I like the Royal Family. They provide us with a good laugh!

Seriously, they do generate a lot of money through tourism. Other nations seem to lap them up ;)

Anyone happen to catch Prince Charles' latest socalled blunder?

Calling a certain reporter an asshole under his breath, unaware of the huge mike pointed in his direction? Turns out he's a good guy anyway.

Cheers

Oh Charlie's great at that sort of thing .. although not quite as good as his Dad, who is a full-on superstar at insulting people of all colours and creeds (hey, he'd hate to discriminate, he's got something bad to say about everyone :D ).

Phil

I was wondering if they were a big deal in Holland, like the monarchy is over here. It seems like a lot of countries still have crown monarchs, but you never get to hear about them, whereas ours are always in the news.

Phil

Oh dont worry, they'll manage to fit an awful lot of mudflinging into the next month I assure you - plus, everybody already knew it would be at the start of May anyway, just not the specific date. The campaigning has been going on for at least the last year, and there is never a mud-raking oppotunity missed I assure you.

This is my second chance to vote, and I have to say I am really undecided at the moment - the Government is a disaster, but then so are all the opposition parties :rolleyes:

Phil

Is it like America where there are really only two choices and both choices stink to the highest of highs? So you end up trying to vote for the least of the two evils?

I am proud to say I voted for a third party candidate of which most people I know claim I wasted my vote. I don't see it that way, but I certainly can't explain it to any of them....

There are in fact three main choices, but yes they all stink of stinky stinkyness. For once it would be nice if there was a political party who actually seemed to be bothered about the country rather than giving themselves tax payers hard-earned money as a 'well-deserved' bonus. But I guess thats wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is getting a tad political, so the scary mods might come and tell us off - suffice to say that I am not massively excited about the election this year.

Phil

Back