• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pet Hates. This is Room 101.

My dog hates it when you play tug-of-war with her using a piece of rope with knots in it, and during the mutual pulling you stick your feet up under her belly and kinda lift her backlegs off the ground. She growls and growls and showes her teeth....the hair standing at peak attention on her back. She really sounds vicious. The only thing she needs to work on is the simultaneous wagging of the tail. That darn tail sure does send the wrong message....that and her stubborn resistance to letting go of the rope....but she really is quite angry...I think....

ohhh...something else my dog hates.

She really hates it when the rest of the world walks by the window in the front of my house. If there's another dog on a leash it makes things even worse. It's a really good thing there is glass in the windows or all hell would stand still as my dog would surely break neighborly etiquette and jump though the open window in a gastly attempt at starting a doggie turf war.

One of my pet hates is the use of the word "absolutely" when used as a term of agreement. I'm sure it was never around ten years ago; what are you "absolutely" users on? Can't you just say 'yes'?:eek: :eek:

novella said:
My dog has a very good sense of humor at least, though he does use too much Pucci Stinkaway after his shower. He's fussy like that.

Pucci Stinkaway? Your dog does have a sense of humor. You crack me up, novella.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I hate it when people mispronounciate words or use them in the wrong context, especially when they are just using that word to try and show off. If you can't explain to another person what that word means, then just don't use it.

I have a relative who always says "pacific" instead of "specific'. I've tried to explain a thousand times -- in a peaceful manner, of course.

Yeah. My dog is always saying 'aks' instead of 'ask.' He goes, "Lemme aks you a question." I hate that.

blueboatdriver said:
One of my pet hates is the use of the word "absolutely" when used as a term of agreement. I'm sure it was never around ten years ago; what are you "absolutely" users on? Can't you just say 'yes'?:eek: :eek:

absolutely:rolleyes:

blueboatdriver said:

And "unbelievable!!!"

I hate that some (a lot) of people with baby carriages seem to think that they are alone in the world or that they always have right of way. They just take up an entire sidewalk or park their twin carriages in the centre of an isle at the store so no one can pass. It's like: "I give you my contribution to the race of mankind, stand aside and be in AWE!!!"

A few pet peeves:

Slow drivers who drive in the passing lane.

Parents who allow their children to act like savages in public places, especially in a restaurant or a cinema.

Obnoxious people and ones who think they can bully themselves through life.

People who make it their daily job to correct others; they usually begin most sentences with "actually"

Freeloaders

Drivers who drive within a few inches of your bumper thinking this will make you drive faster.

Drivers who block junctions in start stop situations.

Drivers who take up two or more parking spaces with one car.........I could go on.:mad:

My hates for today are -

Drivers who don't go faster when you drive on their rear bumper.

People who think it's funny to list their pet's hates in this thread.

People who talk about their pets - we don't want to know.

I'm with you pinkshadow on the baby carriages - what's wrong with calling them prams anymore? It's much easier.

While we're on that, how about idiots who take their dogs to boot sales and do the same thing?

I know a lady who pushes her dog IN a pram....and also carries it in a Snugli baby carrier.....talk about spoiled:D

novella said:
Yeah. My dog is always saying 'aks' instead of 'ask.' He goes, "Lemme aks you a question." I hate that.

Dear novella,

I think you should be taking some responsibility here. If your dog were a reader, he would know in which order the 'k' and the 's' are supposed to be sounded. I am assuming that he (like many dogs) has not had the benefit of a proper education and is only imitating what he hears from his peers. Have you ever thought of sending him to night school? Not only might he learn how the word is properly pronounced, but perhaps some of his dogly friends would be inspired to follow his example. (Please understand that I am holding out no hope at all for any family cats.)

Remember, your dog's education, as well as his pronounciation, is ultimately your responsiblility. Also (and unfortunately), in the end, you may find it necessary to accept that it may be hard for him to get his canine teeth around this particular word. Try holding your mouth the way he is forced to hold his and say the word "ask". Now say the word "aks". You see what I mean? But this doesn't give you an excuse for neglecting the remainder of his education.

Next week we'll discuss counting and sharing.

Still

Have you considered he has a speech impediment? Instead of punishing him or retraining, you should invest in a speech therapist. You might also want to take him to a psychologist to find out if this speech defect is really an underlying hostility towards you. But for God's sake don't call in the Dog Whisperer!

Yeah, the whole speech thing is difficult. He has no lips.

My dog also hates when other dogs eat while driving. It's bloody hard to hold a bit of fried chicken in one paw while steering with the other.

Also, connected to this peeve of the pet, he hates when other dogs poke their heads out the car window and a string of slobber gets loose and starts waving in the breeze, threatening to splash on other dogs' cars.

I have it on good authority that dogs hate it that the words for placing one's posterior flat on the ground and the word for dogly defecation sound exactly alike to their ears. It can be very confusing, and causes no end of trouble, especially if you or your your canine happens to have a lisp.

They also wonder why on earth humans celebrate Veterinarian's Day.

...I dislike poor quality translations of plays by Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz, but somehow that thought seems out of place with the posts that have gone before...

...anyway, this is an interesting and important thread, I would like to see it developed further...

edit: oh, I also hate splashback from toiletbowls, obv...

Back