• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pick Your Pick..

-Carlos-

Which, in the series list below, have you read?
If you have read them all (thank you!), which one should I read next?

The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy
Rabbit Novels by John Updike
The Dark Tower by Stephen King (re-read)
Earth's Children by Jean M. Auel (re-read)
Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbert
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

awww.gerrybeckley.com_images_rabbitnovel1.jpg

I'm pretty sure Anamnesis meant skip the rest of the Dune series after the first, not skip the rest of the series options you listed.

I haven't read all of your list, but I do encourage you to read the Hitchhiker series. It's fantastic.

I haven't read all of Dune, but according to my husband, stop after Chapterhouse Dune. He was very disappointed by the novels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. My husband would very highly recommend the Dark Tower series, as they are his all-time favourites.

I'm partway through the second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and am really enjoying it. I recommend the series, it's a lot of fun. But if you're looking for serious science fiction, this is not it.

Boarder Trilliogy:
Blood Meridian: I couldn't finish it - hated the southwest setting - Was excited for all the violence I heard about but it was mild. People love this book, I dont know what's wrong with me. I might be too used to modern setting books.

Rabbit Novels:
Rabbit, Run: Great american novel - no, but close. Subject matter was right on, I hate my wife, kids, job. There wasnt enough desperation for me. That and it takes Updike 20 pages to describe Rabbit driving to his mothers house. Too wordy.

Read Dune and skip the rest. The sequels are annoying and difficult to get through.

I agree, the tone changes after Dune, the mysogony (sp?) and messianic elements become much more pronounced and (for me) dominate too much in the later episodes - it was a shame, the characters of Alia and Duncan were obviously supposed to contribute to volumes 2 & 3 but the opprotunity was never explored properly.

I'm partway through the second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and am really enjoying it. I recommend the series, it's a lot of fun. But if you're looking for serious science fiction, this is not it.

A warning about the HHGTTG series - I think the thrid or fouth volume was written under duress to fulfill Adam's contract with his publisher. Bascally, he said he didn't want to do it. The series doesn't reflect the brilliance and freshness of the first book.

I enjoyed the Rabbit series very much. There are 4, not 2 as your jacket picture shows. They came out 8 or 10 years apart and each one reflects the time in Rabbit's life and American life. Yes, wordy in places, but socially acute. Not fantasy like (some of?) the other series, but lots of sex, some of which may be fantasy.

Which, in the series list below, have you read?
If you have read them all (thank you!), which one should I read next?

The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy
Rabbit Novels by John Updike

awww.gerrybeckley.com_images_rabbitnovel1.jpg

I have read The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy

The Dune series is absolute crap after Dune. It gets worse and worse in every book. It's absolutely boring and was a struggle to get through.
Earth's Children is da bomb. I was totally confused when Jean came out of the coma. I had no idea that she had come out of the coma, and suddenly a new book came out. I saw it and was thrown off. I need to re-read the series.
Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy is amazing. Absolutely glorious.

I've been meaning to read the Dark Tower series, but have been too lazy.

I don't know, my boyfriend really liked the Dune series (I mean, all that was written by Frank).
And you know how awesome Dark Tower is. I, myself, actually want to reread it. My boyfriend and I started reading the 2nd Marvel comics series and there's some stuff I don't remember.
And Ooh, Hitchhiker's Guide was lots of fun! But I stopped somewhere and lost interest in Restaurant.

I have read Earth children. Liked the first book only. The next 3 were skimers, one of the books she was in a cave practically all the way through.Tooooo many details , it just got boring!:)

A warning about the HHGTTG series - I think the thrid or fouth volume was written under duress to fulfill Adam's contract with his publisher. Bascally, he said he didn't want to do it. The series doesn't reflect the brilliance and freshness of the first book.

What a shame.:(

- I read the first two many years ago but havent read the rest after he finished the series. I liked it but i cant remember much of it. I might reread and finish the series one day but i got too many other books i want to read first.

- I just remember this book as the biggest eye-catcher in the bookshelves of every girl i met in the 80's. At the time i had planned to read it, though i never got around to it even though i got one of the books as a gift at some point. After seeing half the movie i lost interest in both the books and the movie.

- Decent scifi, that descended into a neverending series of complete drivel. The David Lynch movie is worth a watch.

- A lot of fun to read. The later books in the series are not so great.

The Dark Tower series is the only one from your list that I’ve read. You’ve read it, so you know what to expect. The series has some ‘Wow’ moments but overall, it was mediocre.

Back