• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pizza - 'nuff said

Motokid

What do you like on your pizza?
What is pizza like in your country?
Do you have pizza in your country?
Has anyone here never tried pizza?
Who makes the best pizza?

Thick or thin crust? Deep dish? Stuffed crust? Stromboli?
Meat, fish, vegi, pineapple, white, BBQ chicken.....

I personally like the pizza I make best. Thicker crust. Homemade tomato sause, kinda lumpy, not real runny, from real tomatoes, but nothing real fancy, lots of mozzeralla cheese with a little parmesian. With sliced fresh mushrooms under the cheese. That's about it. Pretty simple. I also like just plain pizza with cheese and tomato sause and no other toppings.

As for fast food/take out pizza I have to go with Papa John's. I love the butter/garlic dip they give you for dipping my crust.

Don't care for Domino's or Pizza Hut. I'll eat it if it's free, but would not pay for it unless it's the only pizza around, and I'm jones-in for it big time.

Pizza must be really different all over the world. Tell me about your favorite.
Please.

Turners Falls Pizza makes an awesome BBQ Chicken pizza with BBQ sauce instead of tomato. It is by far a favorite with all of my friends. When I was a kid I loved chorico pizza from the Continent Bakery in Swansea. Nobody around here eats chorico and I doubt they would think to grind it up and put it on a pizza.

Papa John's does have great garlic butter. I used to love their cheese sticks with that stuff on it. The Papa John's near me went under though because they gave out too much free pizza to UMASS.

mehastings said:
Turners Falls Pizza makes an awesome BBQ Chicken pizza with BBQ sauce instead of tomato. It is by far a favorite with all of my friends. When I was a kid I loved chorico pizza from the Continent Bakery in Swansea. Nobody around here eats chorico and I doubt they would think to grind it up and put it on a pizza.

Papa John's does have great garlic butter. I used to love their cheese sticks with that stuff on it. The Papa John's near me went under though because they gave out too much free pizza to UMASS.

Do you mean Chorizo? Red sausage Spanish/Mexican in origon? :)

SillyWabbit said:
Do you mean Chorizo? Red sausage Spanish/Mexican in origon? :)
That is the Spanish spelling - as far as I am aware Chorico (or Chourico) is the Portugese spelling - it depends on where abouts you are.

SillyWabbit said:
Ahhhh ok :) Never had that one!
I would say they are the exact same thing - after all the spelling is only one letter out.

Motokid said:
Thick or thin crust? Deep dish? Stuffed crust? Stromboli?

You missed out calzone and deep fried. Yes, we deep fry pizza in Scotland too. :(

Personally, I like jalapeno and peperoni. Other favourites include: ham & pineapple, spicy chicken, or smoked sausage. I don't like donner meat on my pizza - tried it once.

deep fried pizza....wow...don't think I want to try that....but then I guess I'd have to...at least one bite....

Do they fry one piece at a time, or do they drop the whole pie into the fryer?

and what's donner meat?

Motokid said:
Do they fry one piece at a time, or do they drop the whole pie into the fryer?

Depends on how much you want. The whole thing, half, or quarters - depends on the outlet too. Usually grease-ridden fish and chip takeaways (chips; not fries) Sometimes it can be done with batter to make the pizza crunchy too.

and what's donner meat?

Comminuted spiced lamb that usually sounds like a good idea at 3 in the morning when you can hardly stand. Comes as part of a donner kebab - lamb, pitta bread, salad, and spicy sauce. Greeks, Turks, and Iranians usually peddle this stuff in late night takeaways.

Ice said:
That is the Spanish spelling - as far as I am aware Chorico (or Chourico) is the Portugese spelling - it depends on where abouts you are.

I would say they are the exact same thing - after all the spelling is only one letter out.
The Portuguese spelling is chouriço and yes, they are the same thing

I LOVE pizza! We have it every Sunday night in our house. I like pepperoni, but my ultimate favorite is made by Mackie's Pizza in our town, it's called Mackie's Delight, it's a thin crust and it's got pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, hot peppers, it's delicious!

I also like Papa John's. But we don't have one in our town. When we lived in Kentucky, there was one and it was the first time we had ever seen one and it's delicious. When I move to my apartment for college in 4 months, there's a Papa John's right across the street, I'm so looking forward to that!! Haha!

Every Saturday I'm in the car all day with my son, taking him to trumpet and piano. To make it more fun, about a year ago we started the Great Three-County Pizza Survey, trying a different slice every week and applying a formal rating system. Unfortuntely (or fortunately), we've found the perfect slice and are a lot less motivated now to try new places.

Our criteria:

Thin yeasty fresh crust, slightly charred on the bottom yet chewy in the thick edge.

Balance of tangy homemade sauce, good (nonoily, nonrubbery) cheese. Not too much of either.

His sausage slice: he rates the sausage according to quantity, cut or crumble, and taste.

Size of the slice v. price. Our favorite is a one-slice wonder, home of The Giant Slice. Two Italian pizza chefs who really know how to throw the dough. Never get more than one slice.

Atmosphere of parlour: clean tables, decent room. Our favorite always throws the kid a plate of free garlic knots and teaches him some Italian.

We have found all chains to be completely unacceptable. Places that employ high school kids to cook the pies always have too much cheese. Some places have cardboard dough or crap cheese.

We, naturally, prefer NY style slices, not Sicilian or Chicago (the dreaded deep-dish mess) or English pizza where they don't understand the cheese factor and put fruit! (pineapple) on top. :eek:

In short, we are very experienced and particular. We've expanded the testing range to include NYC and parts of Connecticut. Our deepest disappointment has been the overuse of bad ingredients. In the pizza universe, quantity does not make up for quality.

It would be remiss of me to omit the name of our winner: Touch of Naples, Route 9G in Hyde Park, NY, about a mile from FDR's historic home on the Hudson. I think they're the best in the world.

Deep fried pizza... just got flashbacks of bar closing time in Aberdeen and everyone going to the chip shop for deep fried something, be it fish, pizza, haggis... Deep friend pizza is AWESOME! (Haggis, not so much).

The standard North American pizza is pepperoni. But in Australia I would have to say our standard is Hawaiian. I'd never had pepperoni pizza before, and I must say I'm not a fan at all. We also have what's called an 'Aussie' pizza which has an egg cracked in the middle of it and usually ham and cheese as well.

My favorite pizza joint is a place called Bimbo's on Brunswick St in Melbourne, which is also where I had my favorite pizza - lamb and lemon. Oooo... it was SO good.

Pizza with cream cheese in the crust is also heavenly. If you're a doubter you've gotta try it before you judge!!

It usually depends on what kind of mood I am in. I can always go for a thick crust cheese pizza, but I can't stand thin crust.

Heh--we ate so much pizza in college, we're still kind of tired of it. Our campus was in a small town; the pizza place was pretty much it for late nights.

Stewart said:
Comminuted spiced lamb that usually sounds like a good idea at 3 in the morning when you can hardly stand. Comes as part of a donner kebab - lamb, pitta bread, salad, and spicy sauce. Greeks, Turks, and Iranians usually peddle this stuff in late night takeaways.

Hmmm yes donner kebabs :rolleyes: The staple food of many a student (especially when the van is only a couple of minutes from halls :p )

As for Pizza, I tend to eat most of the varieties. I like both thin crust and deep pan (thin crust from restaurants and deep pan from take away's/supermarkets - though only when there is nothing else). Not being a big fan of cheese I will avoid the four cheese ones - I like pepperoni, other spicy meat, onions, peppers etc. I prefer Pizza Express to Pizza Hut (mmmmm Dough Balls) - the two pizzas I tend to eat there are Sloppy Guiseppe and American :)

Had a gorgeous thin crust pizza in Geneva - they're certainly much better abroad!

There used to be a place near where I worked once in Elkton, Maryland that made breakfast pizza. It was a pizza crust with a layer of scrambled eggs with bacon and sausage mixed in and cooked like that. I can't remember if there was any kind of tomato sause or not. All I remember was thinking it sounded kind of nasty, but it tasted so damn good that now I long for it. The place is no longer in business and I don't know of any other place that makes such a thing.

ummmm......pizza.....I am so hungry....damn you motokid...

I think Pizza in the UK is pretty grim! Would love to try a pizza in Italy!

Topping of choice depends on my mood. Some of my faves are: Black olives, anchovy, jalapenos, peppers, onions, pepperoni.

Back