• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Politics And Religion

Groundhog Day.

You join the site, it says 'no religion or politics'. Why do relative newbies continue to argue the toss? I can understand the arguments of old, sort of, before the laws were laid down in stone. But now, why join? Just find somewhere that caters for your needs. Or get some friends in the real world to discuss these things with.

Blimey, you think you can just barge in 'ere after abandoning the children, not sending me child support for all these years, an talk about this place like it's the local pub? Freya Jr.'s already an assistant manager at the L'il Chef by the Watford Flyover an all you've done is barge in here with a bunch of flowers? Well, they are quite nice actually . . . I'll just put them in water. Cup o tea luv?

Milk, no sugar. I'm sweet enough already HAHAHA. I've still got rights, bitch. They're my kids too! I'm gonna make up for it all it all now babe. Promise. I'll knock the smack on th'ead.

Stewart said:
The Book Forum is the only one that does not allow for political and religious discussion - many, in fact, have a specific forum for this.
When I want to discuss those topics I post on forums that allow such topics.
..would you be offended by political and religious discussion?
Not offended by the discussion (if the discussion were civil) but by the disrespect to the forum by violating an agreement that members adhere to and expect from fellow members in return.
If so, would some perverted notion drive you to read the threads anyway?
Maybe, out of curiosity or to see what direction the conversation was taking but I would prefer that the thread was deleted.

If I misinterpreted your questions, and what your asking is that if TBF did allow discussion of religion and politics, would I be offended? My answer is no but I would rather it did not allow it. At this point in the life of this forum moderating such topics is not possible.

I would personally like to see the rule against politics and religion done away with as I enjoy being involved in discussions regarding these two topics, but until then I will continue to respect the rules that I agreed to when I signed up. I would like to have more freedom of speech and breathing space on this forum. I don't understand some of the people on this thread who are almost offended by the thought that this rule be bypassed. Rules are rarely set in concrete, and are often changed or eliminated to fit with common thoughts or feelings and TBF rules should be no different.

Occlith said:
Not offended by the discussion (if the discussion were civil) but by the disrespect to the forum by violating an agreement that members adhere to and expect from fellow members in return.
But no one /would/ be violating the agreement - this thread is about having the rules altered, not a rally for the blatent disregard of the rules. At least that's the way I see it.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I would personally like to see the rule against politics and religion done away with as I enjoy being involved in discussions regarding these two topics, but until then I will continue to respect the rules that I agreed to when I signed up. I would like to have more freedom of speech and breathing space on this forum. I don't understand some of the people on this thread who are almost offended by the thought that this rule be bypassed. Rules are rarely set in concrete, and are often changed or eliminated to fit with common thoughts or feelings and TBF rules should be no different.

But no one /would/ be violating the agreement - this thread is about having the rules altered, not a rally for the blatent disregard of the rules. At least that's the way I see it.

MC, everytime I read one of your posts my respect for you goes up another notch. Soon I will be begging you to have yourself cloned.

StillILearn said:
On second thoughts, I'm thinking that we'd be flirting with disaster, and we're aleady having enough trouble with our fears of censorship as it is. I guess maybe I'd have to vote "no" on this one. Or at least "not right now", anyway. Not the way things stand.
I agree with you SIL, I've seen what a so called friendly discussion over politics and or religion can come to, and it doesn't take long at all. Someone will think someone else is a moron for thinking the way he/she does, and that will be the beginning of a slinging/flaming match. This forum is too nice to be ruined by that. And I don't see how it could be confined to a few threads. Without a doubt it would spill over. The nature of the beast demands it.

And I agree with Peder in that when I was coming up, those topics were not discussed in company. Unless of course you wanted to start a war.
Peder wrote: So I guess that all comes down to the thought that a forum where people are willing to forego religious and political topics in any and all threads is the kind of calm forum that I like. Call it TBF.
I could not have put it better.

Unfortunately, I think that you and Peder are probably correct. I'd really, really, really hate to see TBF go up in flames. :(

If politics and religion were allowed to be discussed here, I'd prefer it to be in a new section created just for that, rather in General Chat. In a couple of other boards I belong to, such hot-button sections require special entry in order to post, granted by the mods. In other boards, no matter how rational the discussion starts, it always degenerates into flaming and name-calling. I wouldn't want to be the mod in charge of moderating such a forum section. If Moto or Stewart were mods of such a section, I wonder how long before they'd throw in the towel? Perhaps we ought to give it a shot and see where it goes. If it does degenerate into flaming, then it can always be deleted. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Moto as a politics/religion forum mod would be like:

A. A kid in a candystore.
B. A bull in a china shop.
C. A powerhungry dictator on a desert island.
D. A cruel and arbitrary god.
E. Little baby Rembrandt with his first box of crayons.
F. A sheep dog at trials.
G. All of the above.

Note: There are no incorrect answers.

novella said:
Moto as a politics/religion forum mod would be like:

A. A kid in a candystore.
B. A bull in a china shop.
C. A powerhungry dictator on a desert island.
D. A cruel and arbitrary god.
E. Little baby Rembrandt with his first box of crayons.
F. A sheep dog at trials.
G. All of the above.

Note: There are no incorrect answers.

Ogodogodogodogod! :D

What if a secret password were required to get in? (Or out?)

Religion. Politics. Money. Sex. I discuss none of these subjects with my family (in order to keep our discussions civilized); this, however, is not a civilized place, and I would have no problem discussing such subjects here with the likes of all of you, even though some of you I would consider 'extended family' if you held a knife to my throat. Post on. Sometimes I wish God was a democratic prostitute. :cool:

Honestly, I don't care much either way. Maybe down the road we can be deemed worthy enough to be trusted with a seperate forum dedicated to Politics and Religion. I for one, would join in and post (or just read) and wouldn't be offended or the offender for that matter. I would like to see something in those lines, but ahh.....I'm living in an idealistic world where I would hope (and pray) that those who contribute can agree to disagree.

Back