• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Politics And Religion

Damn... why do I always miss the good threads? By the time I find a decent internet connection to actually post something, everything has already been said. Sigh.

But anyway, for both of you who actually read my post, here's what I think: I'm very keen on a politics forum, but not keen at all on religious discussion.

Politics because I'm want to learn from other people's viewpoints on so many different issues. TBF doesn't have anybody who'd discuss the politics that matter to me personally (because I'm so far east I'm two days ahead of most of you), but I'd love to see how you guys feel about issues that I can follow here with ease.

I simply cannot see how a rational discourse can take place on matters of religion in a forum environment. Possible for very small groups; may even be a productive debate. But not in a public forum. This is because I believe not everyone can talk intelligently enough or with enough sensibility about how people of other faiths live their lives. People *will* get pissed. Especially when the person misrepresenting your religion has much better language and people skills in a forum than you do.

My preference: find another forum that caters for politics (since this one doesn't do it), and leave well alone religious forums! Find penpals to talk about religion instead! :D

ds

Hi ds,

Well, I read you post. And you've said something nobody else has said that has made me think, AHA! ds has a good point. Americans (and English, I think) tend to say "religious and political discussions" as if they are similar, partly because of that old taboo about not discussing either in polite, mixed (M/F) company. But, of course, religion has unique aspects that make its discussion more difficult, namely deeply held personal belief that one should NOT have to defend to the world at large. Thanks for a good post.

Kenny Shovel said:
Really? What's March like then?
Well, the petrol price is higher by 30 cents, kindergardens here teach hip-hop instead of nursery rhymes and the brand new Politics subforum opens here in TBF.

And Manchester United beat Wigan. Again.

(Oh wait. That game's on March 6. I'm not *that* far east).

ds

p.s. Cheers, Pink Panther.

novella said:
Moto as a politics/religion forum mod would be like:

A. A kid in a candystore.
B. A bull in a china shop.
C. A powerhungry dictator on a desert island.
D. A cruel and arbitrary god.
E. Little baby Rembrandt with his first box of crayons.
F. A sheep dog at trials.
G. All of the above.

Note: There are no incorrect answers.

LOL-A true classic if there ever was one.

Just adding my 2 cents as noone's arguing the other way

Stewart said:
An interesting observation that I've made, from being a member of a number of book discussion forums, is that The Book Forum is the only one that does not allow for political and religious discussion - many, in fact, have a specific forum for this.

1) This isn't the only bookforum to not allow politics/religion - www.sffworld.com/forums

2) The reason for this is:
- Politics and religion are the 2 topics which are the most likely to cause 'unrest' amongst members. Granted most people are mature about these potentially sensitive issues, but it only takes a few words to sour the atmosphere. Board demographics change all the time, and you really can't predict what's coming next

Not everyone wants a board dominated by political/religious debate- they can be found all over the net, thus any alienation caused by such issues here rightly is avoided. It's a board for reading/writing and releated interests after all- not really a politics board

As stated, there are other places on the internet where politics and religion can be discussed, with or without sf/f. It's up to you to take those opportunities elsewhere.

As for here - it is certainly *very* understandable. It's a niche market served here. Politics and religion can serve as niche markets as well.

As for this bookforum, I'll leave you to argue about how wide you want its focus to be.

SFG75 said:
I think this thread is done here.

so i'll try the direct approach. i've been lurking around the past few days, see what folks are up to, and you've done this 3 times that i have seen. why? why do you keep doing this when quite obviously people still want to contribute, and do so, even after you have made your pronouncement? and i can't believe that no one else spoke up and said,' well, erm, uh actually i still had something to say, that's right, me back in the corner, yes hello, thanks.'

just curious. :)

novella said:
I noticed that, too, jenn. But you know me. I'm shy. :p

i know, and i really want you to start working on that. it's time to come out of your shell a bit, let us see the shy girl behind the sly pink cat.

hiya kenny, that means nothing to me, i'm canadian.:p

jenn said:
so i'll try the direct approach. i've been lurking around the past few days, see what folks are up to, and you've done this 3 times that i have seen. why? why do you keep doing this when quite obviously people still want to contribute, and do so, even after you have made your pronouncement? and i can't believe that no one else spoke up and said,' well, erm, uh actually i still had something to say, that's right, me back in the corner, yes hello, thanks.'

When it's off-topic, then it makes good sense. Not only that, but nothing will happen. I agree that not everything is o.k., but life is like that. After a certain point, it gets annoying. And I'm a democrat.:) :) :) :) :)

first let me say it was only twice that i saw it, so i'm sorry, but 2 or 20 it's still rude. in neither case were the threads off-topic, a few off comments maybe, but both threads were still on target. believe me, i know a spammed thread.
threads die 2 deaths, people get bored and move on, or the mods close them. both stewart and moto took the time to start threads that they felt were important and topic worthy and to come in and declare them "done" to me is presumptuous.

jenn said:

Is it ok for me to say......Hopefully, the thread is done. :)

muggle said:
Is it ok for me to say......Hopefully, the thread is done. :)

I agree muggle, a purpose has been served, all things must come to an end eventually.:) Then again, that's just my personal opinion.......as stated previously. :) :)

If you are finished with the thread, fine leave it, but obviously others are not yet and as Jenn pointed out it shows a huge lack of respect for someone to come in and call it "done".

It seems disrespect is becoming a pattern around here with some and I really do hope it stops.

Ronny said:
It seems disrespect is becoming a pattern around here with some and I really do hope it stops.
Such as simply posting an image of a smiley eating popcorn (cough!--SFG--cough!) instead of posting helpful tidbits? :cool:

The growing disrespect on this forum is one of the reasons why I seldom post here anymore. I could care less whether or not religion and / or politics becomes open ground on this forum. If a thread / post arises that makes me cringe, then I'll just not visit that thread / post. Easy enough?

This thread will be continue until this thread decides it is over... or the moderators step in (if someone plays the nazi card or threatens the life of another).

Shame on you, forum members, for creating such inticing threads.

SFG75 posted his opinion and I posted my opinion when I stated....Hopefully, the thread is done. Nothing more and nothing less.

I feel strongly that politics and religion topics do not belong in TBF as they will only cause hurt feelings between the members. Jeez, even the discussion of the possibility is causing hurt feelings and probably uncomfortable feelings among members that used to be good friends.:(

I respect your feelings and opinions about politics and religion not being discussed here. I don't really follow either topic much so it makes little difference to me. I wasn't even specifically addressing your "I hope this thread is done" post.

What upset me has been taking place in numerous threads and it's not saying "hey I'm done here with this thread and think I've seen all I want to see" it's the general "this thread is done" posting that's going on. It is especially irksome because it is mostly happening in threads where members are wanting a little more freedom of speech, a little less of having threads shutdown mid discussion and here we have a member coming and speaking for the rest of us? telling us it's done? I don't think it's right at all and it's not just a matter of stating your personal opinion, if the tone is to specifically dismiss the opinions of everyone else.

If you and I were out eating and I finished before you, how would you feel if I snatched your plate away and said you're done?

Back