• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Post-Apocalyptic! End of the World books

Another book which seems similar to this is called Slide. It is a very good story about military starting earthquakes and landslides which get out of control. I believe it was written by author last name Day, but not certain.

Just read The Deluge by Mark Morris. It's more in the vein of a zombie apocalypse book, than straight up post apoc. A massive flood sweeps over the British Isles in the middle of the night and the only people who survive are those that are lucky enough to be above the water line, which means only those in tall buildings. The water recedes after several days leaving everything covered in muck and monsters that eat us and then take our forms.

As far as I can see no one has mentioned Malevil by Robert Merle. It's one of my favorite of this genre, or really in general.
It's the story of a group of boyhood friends that accidentally happen to be in the right place at the right time to survive......what. They never know, they think it was some sort of nuclear device going off, but never find out for sure.
It takes place in France, in wine country. The society that evolves as they discover more survivors and the trials they face make for good reading.

I'd highly recommend this to anyone, even if you are usually not a fan of post-apocalyptic novels.

I know The Road, The Day of the Triffids and A Canticle for Liebowitz have already been spoken of, but I wanted to add my vote for them as well.

Just read The Deluge by Mark Morris. It's more in the vein of a zombie apocalypse book, than straight up post apoc. A massive flood sweeps over the British Isles in the middle of the night and the only people who survive are those that are lucky enough to be above the water line, which means only those in tall buildings. The water recedes after several days leaving everything covered in muck and monsters that eat us and then take our forms.

Sounds like fun. Zombies and the end-of-the-world (or Britain, which for some is pretty much the same thing).

Just finished James Howard Kunstler's World Made By Hand. Reminded me a lot of Leigh Brackett's The Long Tomorrow. Set in a small community that has reverted to pre industrial technology to survive, the members have to deal with the arrival of a religious sect and come to terms with their leadership vacuum. There is a lot of food description, which I guess is to make the point how much different out diet would be if processed foods went bye-bye. There is also a lot blame laid on how people lived in the 20th century, which is not surprising since Kunstler is one of the big proponents of peak oil. Saw him recently on the History Channel's Prophets of Doom special where he was predicting the fall of everything once petroleum runs out.

All in all, I enjoyed this quick read and look forward to the sequel, which came out last year, The Witch of Hebron.

apics.librarything.com_picsizes_19_8a_198a97c12ee19e85938502b5677434d414f4541.jpg

:star3:

Just finished James Howard Kunstler's World Made By Hand. Reminded me a lot of Leigh Brackett's The Long Tomorrow. Set in a small community that has reverted to pre industrial technology to survive, the members have to deal with the arrival of a religious sect and come to terms with their leadership vacuum. There is a lot of food description, which I guess is to make the point how much different out diet would be if processed foods went bye-bye. There is also a lot blame laid on how people lived in the 20th century, which is not surprising since Kunstler is one of the big proponents of peak oil. Saw him recently on the History Channel's Prophets of Doom special where he was predicting the fall of everything once petroleum runs out.

All in all, I enjoyed this quick read and look forward to the sequel, which came out last year, The Witch of Hebron.

apics.librarything.com_picsizes_19_8a_198a97c12ee19e85938502b5677434d414f4541.jpg

:star3:

I read WMBH last year, and enjoyed it as well, the sequel is actually what brought my attention to it. I haven't bought the sequel yet, but plan to as soon as the pb comes out. I was a little disappointed though, I had higher hopes for the novel. When I read the synopsis I thought it would be on a par with Malevil by Robert Merle, one of my top 10 ever books.

http://www.amazon.com/Malevil-Robert-Merle/dp/0446796859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295217466&sr=8-1

I always look for Malevil when I hit my local used shops, but haven't run across it yet. Might hafta order from abe.

apocalyptic recommendations

For some strange reason I've always enjoyed post-apocalyptic recommendations SF. Some notable titles I remember reading include Through Darkest America, Lucifer's Hammer, The Postman (good book, terrible movie!) and even weirder stuff like Hiero's Journey (far future PA) and some strange novel about intelligent spiders and humans hiding in the desert (Anderson? Silver berg? I can't remember).

Anyway, it's been a while since I've read a good PA book. I've tended to stray a bit from SF the past few years, as the older I get the less forgiving I become towards poor plots, bad writing and (most common of all) terribly executed or contrived dialogue. As a result Iain M Banks is verging on the only SciFi I've read in years (with Simmons coming a distant second).

So... perhaps it's time to check out one of my favorite topics again.

Oh, and please don't recommend A Canticle for Liebowitz. I tried reading it as a child, and after failing to get into it have never revisited it. I know it's out there and may pick it up again.

The Day of the Triffids
A Canticle for Liebowitz
Earth Abides (with a bit of 1950s eugenics)
The Postman (I agree, it IS better than the film)

best of all:
A SCIENTIFIC ROMANCE, by Ronald Wight (or is it Wright?). Definitely worth reading: a man with human variant CJD discovers that Wells' time machine was real, and due to arrive at his old house about . . . now. The narrator, discovering that the machine cannot take you backwards but only forwards, goes into the future in search of a cure, and finds himself in a post-apocalyptic Britain, post global warming. For much of the story, he merely descibes the deserted and flooded London, and what he sees as he heads north to Edinburgh and Loch Ness - a bit like a travel guide (and this is what makes it great - detail (artificial grass on the motorways) and a good pace, like driving slowly through a magnificent landscape and having the time to really have a good look).

Classy, go and read it now.:star5:

I would suggest 'The Kraken Wakes', by John Wyndham (of 'Day of the Triffids' fame). Ships are sunk, atomic bombs are dropped into the deep places of the oceans, and eventually the aliens at the bottom of the sea warm the Greenland and Antarctic ice-caps and flood the world (and he wrote this in the 1950s). Our heroes are a journalist and his journalist wife. It's surprisingly good.

Just finished This World We Live In, the third and presumably last book in the Last Survivors series. Not as good as the first two. :star3:

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31__2BSnscNAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

397px-Forest_Hands_Teeth_hb_cover.jpg

This book takes place in a village that's separated from the rest of the world, which is populated by flesh-eating creatures known as "The Unconsecrated". No one really knows for sure how The Unconsecrated came to be, although the village elders claim they were sent by God to punish sinful humans.

I wanted to like TFoHaT but was let down by an annoying narrator (repeating the same thing often won't convince me of your sincerity) and a love triangle I really didn't care about. Carrie Ryan came up with an interesting world; why not spend more time on its origins?

Recent apocalyptic horror books I've read included Adam Baker's Outpost, which I really enjoyed and found to be a very strong action/horror/apoc novel. Also, The Strain Trilogy (or first two books of) which myself and a few other regular members have mentioned here in the forums from time to time. And of course, last year's The Passage by Justin Cronin - also a very good book.

Not too badly. :cool: I read lots of different genres, from contemporary lit through the classics to fantasy and sci-fi, historical non-fiction (and lots of technical texts of late). I do however love horror fiction and supernatural literature, but it's far from all I read, so it keeps things balanced out and helps me count sheep in relative peace. ;)

Not too badly. :cool: I read lots of different genres, from contemporary lit through the classics to fantasy and sci-fi, historical non-fiction (and lots of technical texts of late). I do however love horror fiction and supernatural literature, but it's far from all I read, so it keeps things balanced out and helps me count sheep in relative peace. ;)

Glad to hear it Will, I guess you need a break from technical texts - sounds like you've got a whole spectrum of reading matter. momac :D

Back