• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Random Image Thread

And apparently New York being "New Wild Boar Village" is a long story that I had to look up; the old Roman settlement in England was named Eboracum, which is a Latin bastardization of the celtic word for "yew tree", which was at some point bastardized back into Old English as Eoforwic ("village of the boar"), after which the Danes turned up and renamed it Jorvik, and eventually the English settled for "York", which at that point really didn't mean anything at all but was a lot easier to spell.

So basically, "New York" means "Repeatedly renamed by immigrants".

And I like that they didn't even try to come up with a better name for Newfoundland.

One of the first things we learned about our state is that Kansas means 'people of the South Wind." if you ever get to visit, specially in the spring and summer, you soon see why. We also take our name from the Kaw or Kansa tribe, which probably still irks a few folks of Osage, Pawnee, and Wichita heritage.
I enjoyed this map, BG. Fun, very fun.

249475_10151140802997198_1980452294_n.jpg

awww.csmonitor.com_var_ezflow_site_storage_images_media_conten55856ae47a5e2a0bf800125d430c20fb.jpg

US Army soldier 2LT Moises Ochoa is making a scrapbook of him and his nine-months-old son's stuffed toy until the end of his deployment in Afghanistan.

Back