• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Randomness! Yay!

I know. Ew. It did take 3+ years to do it though. I just hope I noticed it on the first day. I would hate to think I was using it and didn't notice.

Water is essential to all live. As is oil. As is food. As is a lot of shitaki that I don't know about.

Tundra hates emoticons. Well we'll have to fix that.
:) :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D :eek: :( ^^ o_O T_T :-( :) >.< ><

Damn straight. I do hate emoticons. I was first exposed to them when using AOL instant messenger at a young age. One day I discovered that my nice inobtrusive sideways smileys (that I hardly ever used) were being turned automatically into a colorful freak of nature. And so I disabled them. AOL had that option. B&R does NOT. People overuse emoticons. They cannot write a sentence without ending it in an emoticon. Society has become disabled so much that they depend upon emoticons now to convey feelings. Why can't people convey feelings through words? If someone is telling a joke, then it is obviously a joke and you don't have to be reminded at the end of the sentence by use of a laughing smiley, so colorful that I can't possibly ignore it. They taunt me right now..lurking at the edge of the screen...like they're peering out the window of a looney bin. And so I suffer in silence, unless provoked...which has obviously just taken place. This hatred may sound unreasonable. Yet it will remain.

lady.cordelia said:
well, but you can't see the look on my face, despite the words, so i have to show you what my face conveys! ;)

But you didn't really wink... Emoticons are used to convey tone, because people want to be sure they are not misunderstood. I can see why they do this, but that doesn't mean I have to like the cartoon faces.

And in an effort to get off this topic and avoid it forever more, I will say something random:

I am an aunt. This makes me happy.

tundra said:
I am an aunt. This makes me happy.

ditto! although i'm a mom, too, and this makes me exponentially more happy!

i would have winked if you had been here, but i'll drop it. just teasting you.

I am sure it does. But I too am exponentially more happy than I was two weeks ago, since I am a first time aunt. And I am flying to see baby tomorrow..for the first time. I have seen other people become ridiculous over their nieces and nephews, but now I understand. It is so much different when it happens to you.

I totally know how you feel. I became an aunt before becoming a mother and just went ballistic and spent wayyyyyyyyyyy too much money. I saw your blog, btw, and you will be a COOL aunt! congratulations!

edited to remove emoticon! lol

now for whining randomness and a need to vent.

i had to get another wheelchair. :( and that emoticon is totally representing me right now, except i uess i need tears. it is so embarrassing and i hate the stares and questions. when i sent the one i had last year back in january i had hoped i would never need one again, but i still have not responded adequately to all the surgeries (and i had another minor surgery again today) or therapy and still can't walk long distances. we are going out of town soon and i'll have to have it to even have a remote chance of a nice time (we are going to sea world). i just dread the looks or even worse the people that go out of their way not to look at you, as if by somehow looking at me they'll get the "disease" that put me there. i just hope and pray it isn't permanent.

excuse any typos or blabbering, as i am still under the effects of many drugs and the anesthesia and am a bit loopy right now.

I hope the wheelchair isn't permanent too. I know what you mean about the people not looking at you. But I think most people are trained to do it. Parents are always telling their kids not to stare at people because its rude. Why should this be rude? You only stare the first time, then they become normal to you and you don't build up ridiculous notions that you have to avoid looking at certain people. The kids who are told not to stare grow up not staring and tell their own kids not to stare. This is the same line of reasoning as to why so many boys treat girls with disrespect while growing up. Boys are so heavily discouraged from doing "girly" things, that they grow to view them as lesser activities, and then treat anything to do with femininity as something to depise, including people.

you are so right. there are certain stares that are obviously bothersome (some just plain rude), but i don't mind being noticed. it is like you would look at a person crossing your path, kwim.

even before my injury, i have tried to teach my children to always say hello to disabled people and make them feel normal, but not in a way that was nosy or rude. i try to remind them that they are normal people, too. at our church, we have a special needs ministry, so there are a lot of children in wheelchairs and in various states of disability there (not many churches offer this so it is a big attraction for our area to come to our church for that reason, as most families would normally just have to stay home all the time without adequate care for their disabled children). i have them go up to them, with a smile on their face, and introduce themselves and say hello.

but i totally see what you are saying now and i guess in my pity party state i just forget that and shouldn't take it so personally.

last year, when my youngest was still just a baby and nursing, i really got a lot of stares. how often do you see a woman nursing a baby in a wheelchair. just so you know, though, i was always discrete (you could never see anything other than that i was holding a baby, but obviously in a position to nurse.

oh, and about boys. my youngest is my only boy, so he is surrounded by dolls from my girls. he loves playing with their dolls and is so cute with them. i have never discouraged it. he holds them so sweetly and knows how to be loving with them. i figure it teaches him how to be around babies, too. and it works. when we are around new babies, he is so sweet and gentle.

This randomness thread has turned into a parenting thread. *screams loudly* I will change that.

Yesterday I accidentally stabbed my hand with a carpenter's knife while helping my dad lay vinyl in my aunt's bathroom. It now hurts and throbs a lot.

tundra said:
To my horror, I have recently discovered it is possible for vaseline to go rancid.

I bought new vaseline yesterday. But then it melted into the car and it was oozing out of the lid. Until I fixed it.

Vespertilio91 said:
I bet you I can. There, just did!

That may be, but your signature has an emoticon in it, so your attempt doesn't really count.

I can have whatever I want in my signature, thank you very much. If that includes an emoticon, then so be it. Actually, I put that in there, just for you.

New vaseline, huh? I think we've got some in the shed somewhere...

drmjwdvm said:
What is it that ya'll are doing with all of this Vaseline?:eek: (<--see pretty emoticon)

Erm..nothing very much. I threw out the rancid vaseline and bought some new vaseline..I have no plans at the moment to involve my jar of vaseline in my plans of world domination, but then I don't really want to take over the world either, so it is a moot point.

Back