• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

RE: Some guy on eBay is selling 500 words of his book to budding authors

Noah's Arc? What's that? Some sort of curvy line the old guy drew?

Personally, I think Noah's Ark is much more exciting. :rolleyes:

i'm not the greatest artist.....i admit! and i've certainly never made my own website, which must take ages, even if you are familiar with the procedure. You critics reckon you can beat pj....stop being critics and prove that you're capable of doing a better piece....otherwise stop slagging off his work. Seems to me like he's had to do all the work on that site himself, there's no evidence to suggest that he's had assistance, for instance, he answered the letter to the concerned joker from that website that Stewart pointed out.

I always thought you guys were legless men judging running events!

It looks like Palimpsest is running its very own version of this, called The Palimpian Pen.

Those crazy guys! Still, it looks like a good way to get published for free - they don't charge like that charlatan Peter Johnson!

Laser-geek-UK said:
You critics reckon you can beat pj....stop being critics and prove that you're capable of doing a better piece

I already have. I posted a mockup example for Motokid, I'm currently working on one about MS Office, one about East Kilbride Pirates, in addition to my history site and my personal home page.

I think you'll find the standard, despite the differing arrays of completion, is better so I feel comfortable critiquing others' work.

there's no evidence to suggest that he's had assistance, for instance, he answered the letter to the concerned joker from that website that Stewart pointed out.

He answered the letter with we - of course, most small people do that when they want their operation sound more official/organised/etc. than it really is.

I'm beginning to think that JS King is Peter Johnson and you are his dad. ;)

that's funny, i only just turned 24!!! but my hairline is receeding so i could probably go for slightly older!!!

the accusations always have to come out from you guys the moment anyone disagrees with you!!

real shame that is.

lasergeek said:
You critics reckon you can beat pj....stop being critics and prove that you're capable of doing a better piece....otherwise stop slagging off his work.

Balderdash. You don't need to be a carpenter to criticise a chair.

Shade said:
Balderdash. You don't need to be a carpenter to criticise a chair.

the level of mockery that he was receiving suggested to me that the chaps criticising it could to a lot better.

Thank you Stewart for proving your right to insult others work. I'm very proud of you.

Laser-geek-UK said:
Thank you Stewart for proving your right to insult others work. I'm very proud of you.

Thankyou very much.

Actually, the right to criticise (not insult) others' work is a given - they make it public and we knock it down. Or praise it...if it's good enough.

I've just been reading over the copyright notice for the Quill of Olympia and, frankly, it doesn't make much sense.

Copyright Notice:- The book to be produced will be under copyright protection; said copyright the property of myself, as project manager, my web URL is www.theolympianpen.com . All Rights Reserved.

No part of the book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, taping, or by any information storage or retrieval system, without the permission in writing from myself.

Conditions:- The Authors agree and warrant that:

1. There is hereby assigned to myself, as project manager, web link www.theolympianpen.com with effect from the date when their Work is accepted for publication on www.theolympianpen.com , or such other web link as I may use in future, worldwide copyright in the Work free of all royalties for the full term of copyright including all extensions or renewals. Such copyright includes but is not limited to the right to publish, republish, transmit, sell, distribute and otherwise use the Work in electronic and print editions of their Work and in derivative works throughout the world in all languages and in all media now known or later developed for whatever purpose.

2. The Work from the Authors contains no libellous or unlawful statements and does not infringe the copyright, rights or privacy of others.

3. All statements in the Work asserted as fact are either to the best of their knowledge true or are based on valid research conducted according to accepted norms.

4. The Work is the original work of the Authors

Peter Johnson begins by saying The book to be produced will be under copyright protection; said copyright the property of myself, as project manager, my web URL is www.theolympianpen.com

Said copyright the property of myself? What is he trying to say? :confused:

Myself? Who is myself? Who has he forgotten to say? There's no name on the site whatsoever; how is someone supposed to know who myself is?

Now, we move on to the Conditions:

The Authors agree and warrant that:

1. There is hereby assigned to myself

What the hell does that mean?

Moving on there's this little gem: 3. All statements in the Work asserted as fact are either to the best of their knowledge true or are based on valid research conducted according to accepted norms. This goes back to the Dan Brown bit - how would actual research and stated facts make him proud? :D

I feel really sorry for Shade, now, because he obviously never read the following bit:

No part of the book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form

Didn't he reproduce the synopsis (which Peter Johnson, duh! seems to think is a Chapter) earlier in this thread? A lawsuit beckons! :D

true... but as the old saying goes.....

"A critic is someone who never actually goes to the battle, yet who afterwards comes out shooting the wounded"

so i like to make a point of it......

Toadal, it's not that i take things personally but simply that i like to offer a defence that's more in line with my way of thinking......people who can't offer anything positive to a discussion must be countered. So hear i am.

Also, I was initially intrigued by the speed at which everyone took him down. Absolutely no-one gave the website a chance. That's why i had to join in.

Also, this makes my day at work go 10 tens quicker (this is a sidepoint though!!)

apologies for the rant, but everyone's leaving the office, so i can go on more...

I like the fact that since i've been getting involved i've noted that not all you guys are completely biased, motokid, shade, stewart and that kookadoo dude have all come out with fair comments at the best of times.....this is probably an underlying reason why i now want the olympian pen to go to the next chapter, as otherwise i see our banter dying off......i'll see if i can interest my ma!!!

Stewart said:
Any bids yet?

nothing yet.......he's got it on a long bid though....about 10 days in total......

the guy who wrote the other story must've hinted that he wants some professor to continue it for him, i wonder if he'll bid for it....

what i'm saying is, why would the owner of the website put up this professor's name, unless he thought for some reason that he'd be interested in continuing it?

i'll have to google the name........

You mean the plausibly named "Professor Porcher Taylor III"? Isn't he supposed to be a fictional character within James McGrath's plot summary - which Johnno hilariously thought was an opening chapter?

While taking his money. Paying $100 or more to put a plot summary online. He could have joined Angelfire and done it for free. :D

He could even have just posted it to a forum.

Back