• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading Groups

Stewart

Sometimes a book of the month proves popular and people discuss it to lengths sometimes unheard of here. Most instances, looking back, seem to encourage a good amount of chatter about the book. But there are occasions, such as this month, where the discussion around the selected book goes limp.

Reasons for this are perhaps people sometimes vote and then, on starting the book, don't realise its scope or level of readability and put it down.

I wonder if it may be a feasible idea that rather than having a set book of the month we could trial smaller book groups within the forum. Aside from the regular book of the month, perhaps one for the sci-fi/fantasy forum, one for crime, etc.

With this in mind, it could be that every one wins in that no matter what they like to read, there's a book of the month for them.

Thoughts?

I could maybe go for that. I tend to read within the genre that suits me best at any given time so to have a choice between something worthy with long words in it or a nice romp in space with guns and scantily clad aliens might work better for me.

Other than Lolita, the only other BOTM I did was on another forum....the thread tanked.:( I think your idea is a great one as people definitely have their genre interests and it only makes sense to try and capitalize on that as best you can.

Excellent idea Stewart!.
th_Woo_Hoo.gif

That's a good idea. With so many members and varying interests, it makes a lot of sense to approach people where they are.

I like the idea of having more than one option. Of course, any one of us can start such a "group" any time we post a book review since those are always open to discussion.

Then where's your review of the one I'm currently reading. ;)

:p :p :p It would be a lot easier to write a review if I could locate my copy of the book for reference. That's the problem with skinny little books like this:p :p :p Besides, I was hoping YOU would do that so I could jump on the bandwagon;)

I like the idea of a book of the month as it will force me into unknown territory if I want to be part of the dicussion.

This is a double edged sword though because I may decide not to read it anyway and just stay away from that part of the forum.

On the other hand if there were a few choices I'd be more likely to like the look of 1 out of 4 or 5 and go out and read it but it may mean my choices stay closer to my comfort zone.

Hmm, put me down as neutral - or just plain old jabbering and indecisive.:eek:

I think having smaller groups within this forum would be nice. One of the reasons I joined was to broaden my horizons, but I still want to enjoy what I am reading. I have read two of the books of the month, but there were several other books that were voted on that I think I would have enjoyed more. A matter of personal tastes really.

I'm still brand spankin' new here, but I'd like to say that this does indeed sound like a fine idea. I'd be much more likely to participate in a genre-based book of the month group than an all-encompassing one where the selected book might not suit my taste.

Just my two cents!

I really don't know what the problem is with some discussions. You'd think a book that garnered enough support to be chosen would have enough people to participate in. We were very spoiled by a *certain* thread. I've seen others with less than 20 posts. I've done a few myself and know that people have lives outside of the internet and what not, but sheesh.......what gives? I think Stewart's idea will help the situation.

Hmmm... I almost always read the BOTM, Capote was the only one I've skipped since I joined. This month really was a flop on the thread though. I like a BOTM because it helps broaden my reading horizons, The Master and The Margarita was way out there for me. That being said you probably have a valid point about smaller and more targeted BOTM. Those like me that want to broaden can still pick a BOTM out of their comfort zone.

Also Stewart, although I had little imput for you this month the discussion questions were appreciated and I hope to see more of that.

I think that this is a great idea - I know that the BOTM is partially intended to widen members' reading scope, but I usually avoid BOTM if they are in a genre that I don't usually enjoy :eek: If this idea was implimented, I would most definitely participate more in book discussions.

I think having smaller groups within this forum would be nice. One of the reasons I joined was to broaden my horizons, but I still want to enjoy what I am reading. I have read two of the books of the month, but there were several other books that were voted on that I think I would have enjoyed more. A matter of personal tastes really.

I feel the same, I like trying something new every now and then, but I do try to vote for a BOTM that I already have or know I can pick up right away. Often the book I was hoping for does not win and I don't want to get the winning book when I have so many unread books here. I do however often read the threads to decide if I may want to get the book later.

I am always puzzled when there is little or no discussion on the winning book because you would think that at least the same amount of people that voted for it would be talking about it. Maybe they started it and didn't like it but that would be good to know too.

Smaller groups may be the way to go but if people keep voting and not posting the problem will still be there. I thought the discussion questions were a great idea too.

Back